• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Has anyone mentioned (originally Aussie) Tim Tams? I love the original milk chocolate ones, the caramel ones are vile, though. 😄

If you bite a tiny bit of both ends off one, you can suck your coffee through it like a straw. A chocolatey cookie straw.

Edited by Yiannos (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

A friend gives these out at work. Thin, crisp, very gingery, perfection with a cup of tea or coffee. They stay surprisingly crisp even after tin is opened. For months. She gets them at Cost Plus World Market.  https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/nyakers-gingersnap-gift-tin/product/68063?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, heidih said:

A friend gives these out at work. Thin, crisp, very gingery, perfection with a cup of tea or coffee. They stay surprisingly crisp even after tin is opened. For months. She gets them at Cost Plus World Market.  https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/nyakers-gingersnap-gift-tin/product/68063?

The are incredible.  We find them at World Market at Christmas time.  

On 10/5/2020 at 11:20 AM, Kim Shook said:

I don't know where you are, but if you are near a Lidl you should check around the holidays for their Windmill cookies.  They are loaded with almonds (oddly, on the back of the cookies) and have a pronounced speculoos flavor.  

Sadly no Lidls here -- only Aldi. 

Ironically, the one time I was in a Lidl it was just outside of Richmond!

On 10/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I live in the town where Voortman's are made - Covid has resulted in the closing of their outlet permanently unfortunately. But many's the time I've gone in there and left with a dozen packages of cookies and a bunch of loose huge gingerbread men. Some to be dipped in chocolate and others to be eaten!

That's too bad about the outlet. I am still sad about the loss of the Necco outlet here. They had a lot more than wafers — before they went bankrupt they bought out a lot of smaller old fashioned candy companies. When they sold their historic factory in Cambridge and moved to the suburbs they shuttered the outlet.

Good to hear they're still being produced in the same place, though — I always think of them in the same category as Archway, since they were both so big in Detroit when I was a kid, and Archway has been through a half dozen owners and has moved production multiple times.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, Yiannos said:

If you bite a tiny bit of both ends off one, you can suck your coffee through it like a straw. A chocolatey cookie straw.

On a trip down under, I was taught that Milo was the beverage of choice for the Tim Tam Slam and the trick is to pop the whole cookie into your mouth a nanosecond before it disintegrates into chocolate melty-ness. 

Of course, Tim Tams have their own eG topic (a very old topic) where the slam is discussed in more detail. 

• Like 2

Well you all got me on the Tim Tams.

I know I have had them before but I didn’t think for one minute I would be able to find them here. But my daughter was going grocery shopping for me and I asked for some cookies. I did a quick search on the Superstore site and lo and behold:

20BC7D5F-380B-4C65-85F7-ED34C80CFF3A.thumb.jpeg.87dd9235c41b1b9c8de416f8ffe1ef1a.jpeg

Edited to add:  but no Digestives 😥

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't think on many commercial cookies that I like - I always preferred other types of commercial sweets. I think that this is because commercials cookies available here tend to be a bit boring. Especially so when you have the options of home/bakery-made Middle Eastern and North African cookies so common here (Moroccan cookies are amazing).

That said, I do love those cookies, and so are most people I know. Those are crisp (but thick) cookies, generally, Israelis prefer crisp, crumbly, sandy or fudgey cookies over chewy ones. Chocolate chips cookies are usually crisp. This brand also have chewy cookies that I never so anyone buy.

006260.jpg.bcfd2df6cc55a4791791d5b4882d0454.jpg

If I can include wafers, than I'm also a fan of those. They are sugar wafers with dark chocolate. Light and not too sweet.

059596.jpg.e5eb28fcf32b680df3c31f31c59fe441.jpg

And of course Loacker. My favorites flavors are coconut, yogurt-raspberry and yogurt-blueberry. But you can rarely find them here. Those chocolate filled ones are my fallback. Much more common.

006444.thumb.jpg.334c014b6ccebc5386aaaad88be27549.jpg

Those are salty savory cookies (available with or without sesame). Pretty good and very popular. They get your mouth seriously dry. Served with tea or coffee.

006686.thumb.jpg.0c78a14bb11be3e62a1d87c7d68f84e0.jpg

During Passover, those are available. "Wine cookies" aka "enriched matzo". Apparently kosher since their are made with wine rather than water 🤷‍♂️. Not that I care. They taste good. I love them with tea.

file_0.jpg.8c3e97a8136fa3accbb57a0876cc9847.jpg

And one cookie that I'm not a fan of, but is very "Israeli". Argaliyot. Those are made of crumbly short pastry with no hint of butter filled with various filings. Chocolate most popular - a bit elastic /fudgy and barely taste of cocoa. Strawberry is also popular - elastic filling with flavor. The date filled one is less common, but IMO the only edible one.

006325.thumb.jpg.a19b5891c3ffabc1676c66d3f036ce3b.jpg

I also like Cinnamon Toast Crunch (branded Cini-minnis here). I consider them cookies :) 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

And of course Loacker. My favorites flavors are coconut, yogurt-raspberry and yogurt-blueberry. But you can rarely find them here. Those chocolate filled ones are my fallback. Much more common.

006444.thumb.jpg.334c014b6ccebc5386aaaad88be27549.jpg

Those are salty savory cookies (available with or without sesame). Pretty good and very popular. They get your mouth seriously dry. Served with tea or coffee.

During Passover, those are available. "Wine cookies" aka "enriched matzo". Apparently kosher since their are made with wine rather than water 🤷‍♂️. Not that I care. They taste good. I love them with tea.

file_0.jpg.8c3e97a8136fa3accbb57a0876cc9847.jpg

The Bahlsen Waffeletten and the Loacker ones were favorites of my son and husband. The latter remind me of the Austrian sweets we made with similar styrofoam tasting purchased sheets but filled with chocolate wonder.  The wine cookies are beautiful. 

1 hour ago, shain said:

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:27 AM, heidih said:

As pointed out by another poster World Market also have them in their considerably cheaper there: https://www.worldmarket.com/product/nyakers-gingersnap-tin.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2 hours ago, MSRadell said:

As pointed out by another poster World Market also have them in their considerably cheaper there: https://www.worldmarket.com/product/nyakers-gingersnap-tin.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

:) That is what I said - she gets them at Cost Plus World Market around Christmas - the link was just to show the cookie. The tin is really attractive too. I found an old one up in my sister's closet today as I was looking for a document. Lid too far back to reach. Niece had it stuffed with thin gloves that go inside your ski gloves. 

tin.JPG

• Like 2

@heidih, @Kim Shook et al, whoever recommended Nyakers gingersnaps, thanks for creating one more quandary for me. One box and I'm an addict. How do you keep them from getting soft? The only way I can think of is to eat the entire sealed package within 24 hours. I'm perfectly capable of doing that, but it would be nice to give myself an extra day or two. Ideas?

1 minute ago, Katie Meadow said:

@heidih, @Kim Shook et al, whoever recommended Nyakers gingersnaps, thanks for creating one more quandary for me. One box and I'm an addict. How do you keep them from getting soft? The only way I can think of is to eat the entire sealed package within 24 hours. I'm perfectly capable of doing that, but it would be nice to give myself an extra day or two. Ideas?

Maybe a different packaging system. As I showed mine come in a tin - not in packets, and as noted stay crisp forever. We had a tin in our work area at the Botanic Garden. I was the only  complete fiend. The rest preferred homemade chocolate or oatmeal or whatever was brought in The gingers did not go soft. 

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

The only way I can think of is to eat the entire sealed package within 24 hours

That's the way to go!

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

but it would be nice to give myself an extra day or two.

Simple solution: another day, another package.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

11 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

They freeze amazingly well.  We had a ton leftover after Xmas and put them in the freezer.  We ate them for a few months.  They are so thin that you can eat them straight from the freezer.  

On 10/14/2020 at 11:40 PM, Katie Meadow said:

? We've never had them get soft, we just opened a can we got in March and they were perfect. We didn't free them or anything. After we open a pack inside of the tin we put them in a plastic bag and they will keep for at least a week that way.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, heidih said:

@CaliPoutine shared these. And her background description  My aunt bakes those cookies for Primal Alchemy caterers( In Long Beach) and he sells them to various coffee shops around town. Her profesional version looks very different. They are bigger too. 3 of them sell for 3.50. My aunt developed the recipe. There is some port wine in the filling. post-52659-0-85120100-1304551677.jpg

Wow, this brought back some memories. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CaliPoutine said:

Wow, this brought back some memories. 

Hey this place has history and those were great. Does she still sell-within Pandemic constraints?

• 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We just discovered these new cookies:

A7A0EA43-2967-4DB9-845D-D76C1D725D42.thumb.jpg.a0c479d883772026f0b5834c6cb914ad.jpg

They are maybe the best store bought cooky we’ve ever had.  They are like Pecan Sandies, if Pecan Sandies were made with butter.  They reminded us of cookies that I make called Dream cookies, but were more airy. 

Oooh, those look so good!  Adding to list.   Have you tried the dark chocolate chip?  Insane for a commercial cookie 

Had the Famous Amos choc chip pecan a couple weeks ago.  One of my faves.  Not too many left that have the balls to use nuts. 

image.png.e211d0f5f5c5aa2417ce93d900f11cfe.png.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

That wasn't chicken