• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

I keep coming back to Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies. There are now 18 flavors (some seasonal/limited).

Currently eating double dark chocolate, which is simply the original flavor with double the filling. I think I like the original better, the extra chocolate seems to almost make the cookie feel "soggy".

Have tried milk chocolate (too sweet), caramel macchiato (good), raspberry (tied with original for my favorite, I love anything raspberry), I think I tried salted caramel a long time ago. Some of the flavors are a hard pass for me (banana???). And they briefly had mini Milanos (original flavor) which were great for snacking.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Just now, BeeZee said:

I keep coming back to Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies.

Ah the guilty pleasure of all my high school girlfriends back when original was all that they had. 

We also had a thing for Mother;s iced raisin cookies  https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-back-mothers-iced-raisin-cookies and the Mother's circus cookies. Still around but I have no resistance!  https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Cookies-Original-Circus-Resealable/dp/B00JW8GLFO

4 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I keep coming back to Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies. There are now 18 flavors (some seasonal/limited).

I like Milanos too, but I haven't bought any in ages.  I like the orange & chocolate and the mint & chocolate.  Mint Brussels might edge out the mint Milano but I have never done a side by side. 

I'll have to check what other flavors are in my area.  No interest in the pumpkin spice. 

On 9/7/2020 at 4:48 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Pepperidge Farms Bordeau are great "dunkers".    Wine, coffee, tea if you must...

I like Almondina for dipping in wine.  Original flavor.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had an Almondina but they're reminding me of a few old favorites I haven't had in a while.

One are those almond windmill cookies -- I think the ones we had when I was a kid were generally Archway, but lately I've gotten the Voortman version. Kind of dull on their own but really nice dunked in a mug of hot tea.

The same company also makes a shortbread cookie with almond icing called Almonette — sort of a guilty / nostalgic pleasure. It definitely tastes more like almond extract than real almond, but I find it weirdly comforting — I think because it reminds me of almond flavored Spritz cookies.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2020 at 4:16 PM, BeeZee said:

@blue_dolphin! Yes on those Almondinas, I grab them on my TJ’s run when I remember...

Agree--Almondinas original flavor are excellent! Most all commercial cookies seem blah to me, but then I don't think I am a cookie person. However there is one packaged tea biscuit / cookie I really like, and that's Effie's Oatcakes. They are not too sweet and just a little salty. And, unfortunately, pricey.

• Like 2

AD4E02CF-1E44-4598-A03A-1A04CEE498AD.thumb.jpeg.89a9d46c607d61ec45dc9ff36ce011e5.jpeg

Bourbon creams!  So addictive. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I can't think of a brand name, haven't bought them in quite a while, but they're basic butter cookies topped with the crunchy large sugar crystals. They're not as crumbly as shortbreads, not as sweet as most sugar cookies. If they're somewhat boring, made with actual butter that you can taste and have that sugar on top, that's the ones I like.

I want Fig Newtons to be a favorite but unless I find a better version of the same cookie under another brand, they can't be. The cakey cookie part manages to be bland but overly sweet at the same time and the cookie as a whole is too dry. Anybody out there build a better Newton? :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

38 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

II want Fig Newtons to be a favorite but unless I find a better version of the same cookie under another brand, they can't be. The cakey cookie part manages to be bland but overly sweet at the same time and the cookie as a whole is too dry. Anybody out there build a better Newton? :D

@CaliPoutine shared these. And her background description  My aunt bakes those cookies for Primal Alchemy caterers( In Long Beach) and he sells them to various coffee shops around town. Her profesional version looks very different. They are bigger too. 3 of them sell for 3.50. My aunt developed the recipe. There is some port wine in the filling. post-52659-0-85120100-1304551677.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I like to eat most cookies frozen.

I like my homemade cookies best frozen but I have never frozen commercial cookies. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, heidih said:

shared these. And her background description

Thanks! I was thinking more of a commercial version to stay in theme with this thread though. I honestly don't see me making my own Newtons, there are many other homemade cookies I'd rather spend the time on.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I can't think of a brand name, haven't bought them in quite a while, but they're basic butter cookies topped with the crunchy large sugar crystals. They're not as crumbly as shortbreads, not as sweet as most sugar cookies. If they're somewhat boring, made with actual butter that you can taste and have that sugar on top, that's the ones I like.

I want Fig Newtons to be a favorite but unless I find a better version of the same cookie under another brand, they can't be. The cakey cookie part manages to be bland but overly sweet at the same time and the cookie as a whole is too dry. Anybody out there build a better Newton? :D

These?

I liked Oreos, before they started messing with new flavors. They taste different to me as an adult but maybe it's because I know better.  I am reminded of the oreo cookie cake in Maida Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts; she was told that Oreos (at the time) were the best selling commercially made cookie in America so she says she chopped some oreos and added them to the cake she was in the middle of making.  It's a great cake recipe BTW!

I like Biscoff cookies (and the spread, that is addictive and I can't stay away from it if I have it in the house.)

It's not a cookie, and I haven't had it in forever, but there was a British wholemeal digestive cracker/cookie that I loved.  I didn't even need cheese or fruit with it.  The Carr's one is the closest I'll get now I guess.

Oh, wait!  Lorna Doons.  I could eat a whole package by myself without sharing ;) as a kid! Another cookie I haven't had in a very long time .....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

One of the cookies in the tins of assorted Danish butter cookies fits that description to a T.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Not exactly the same form factor (they're marketed as breakfast bars) but have you tried "This Fig Walks Into a Bar" from Trader Joe's? They have a bit more texture in the cake bit. I don't know that I've actually had the fig ones, I usually get the apple or strawberry. Of course they appear to have pumpkin.

A local supermarket chain here (Market Basket) also sells "fruit squares" in the bakery that have a slightly different pastry sandwiching fig filling (also available in raspberry and lemon). It's kind of half way between Newton cake and pie crust? Those are really good, but I'm not sure whether they exist elsewhere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

It's not a cookie, and I haven't had it in forever, but there was a British wholemeal digestive cracker/cookie that I loved.  I didn't even need cheese or fruit with it.  The Carr's one is the closest I'll get now I guess.

Yes strangely addictive even to us kids - grandma always had them. I think she called them medicinal - so not really a "cookie".  Good for breakfast with milky tea or coffee - yes kids were allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've never tried those, they may be similar... I'll have to investigate.

29 minutes ago, dtremit said:

One of the cookies in the tins of assorted Danish butter cookies fits that description to a T.

That's them. I did a little digging after my post and found them, Royal Dansk Danish butter cookies. Not all of them have the crunchy sugar on top. I like the ones with the sugar a little better but they're all good. Tasty but just boring enough to be perfect with tea or coffee. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I love a good Digestive. I especially love a good  digestive  dunked. I like them plain. I like them dipped in dark chocolate. I like them dipped in milk chocolate. I like McVities.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/4/2020 at 1:15 AM, dtremit said:

I've never had an Almondina but they're reminding me of a few old favorites I haven't had in a while.

One are those almond windmill cookies -- I think the ones we had when I was a kid were generally Archway, but lately I've gotten the Voortman version. Kind of dull on their own but really nice dunked in a mug of hot tea.

The same company also makes a shortbread cookie with almond icing called Almonette — sort of a guilty / nostalgic pleasure. It definitely tastes more like almond extract than real almond, but I find it weirdly comforting — I think because it reminds me of almond flavored Spritz cookies.

I don't know where you are, but if you are near a Lidl you should check around the holidays for their Windmill cookies.  They are loaded with almonds (oddly, on the back of the cookies) and have a pronounced speculoos flavor.  

On 10/4/2020 at 1:15 AM, dtremit said:

I live in the town where Voortman's are made - Covid has resulted in the closing of their outlet permanently unfortunately. But many's the time I've gone in there and left with a dozen packages of cookies and a bunch of loose huge gingerbread men. Some to be dipped in chocolate and others to be eaten!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 10/4/2020 at 6:59 PM, JeanneCake said:

McVitties?

• Like 1