• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

Faux Pas wants a cookie like the Petit Ecolier, but with a chocolate hazelnut coating. Nutella = chocolate + hazelnut, so... %)

How about using Callebaut Gianduja? It's so much better than Nutella.

• Like 1
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 1 year later...

yum yum!!! and honestly   no terrible aftertaste in these like I find in most packaged cookies …at least that  I detect..tiny can but as I was eating them I realized I was ok stopping at 6 instead of eating an entire pan of cookies if I baked them so ..that is a bonus ! ..they were also  on sale for $2.50/can ..and the cans are a holiday project for my grandkiddos…win win win ! so I bought 10 cans of the two flavors they had  and they help take the edge off being without an oven right now. 

they have several flavors i would love to try but off sale they are too expensive for me ..if anyone else tries them please let me know! 

21177053308_3379306472.jpgT

• Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Just discovered a tiny cookie at a friend's house and bought some.   Can't remember the last time I bought a box of cookies.  Costco.  Leclerc Praeventia Dark Chocolate Chip 70% cacao with red wine extract.  Apparently made in St-Augustin-de-Desmaures, Quebec but also listing American addresses in PA,TN and AZ. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Gingersnaps. Also a fan of their Jo-Jo's (is that what they're called?), especially the peppermint ones around the Christmas holidays.

Also a fan of the orange or mint Milanos and a sucker for Nabisco Nilla Wafers.

(Note all the above must be consumed with a large glass of very cold milk.)

• Like 2

“The cucumber and the tomato are both fruit; the avocado is a nut. To assist with the dietary requirements of vegetarians, on the first Tuesday of the month a chicken is officially a vegetable.” -- Jasper Fforde

"I judge people on their mayonnaise preference." -- Me

Samoas, followed by Thin Mint. I loved their lemon creme sandwich cookie, but they discontinued it. And I used to love Pepperidge Farm Brown Edge Wafers, but I haven't seen those in years. Do they still make them? 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Samoas, followed by Thin Mint. I loved their lemon creme sandwich cookie, but they discontinued it. And I used to love Pepperidge Farm Brown Edge Wafers, but I haven't seen those in years. Do they still make them? 

I certainly agree with you on the Samoans but I really think that the Thin Mint cookies have really gone downhill recently. They used to be one of the favorites of mine and my wife but it seems like they are nowhere as near as minty as they used to be, it's a shame.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I certainly agree with you on the Samoans but I really think that the Thin Mint cookies have really gone downhill recently. They used to be one of the favorites of mine and my wife but it seems like they are nowhere as near as minty as they used to be, it's a shame.

Agreed on the downhill slide of the Girl Scout Thin Mints.  Two possible factors:

The scouts use two bakeries and the products are somewhat different.  This LA Times piece has a graphic that compares the products and a map that shows who gets which cookies.   That piece also includes a video of a taste test between the two versions and I really, really wanted to give the tasters a nice cold glass of milk!

Second factor:  Both bakeries recently changed their Thin Mints to be vegan.   Maybe they should be served with a cold glass of almond milk now?????

This comment may be more appropriate to the Girl Scout cookies thread, but I figured this discussion was current.  Feel free to move it.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

Agreed on the downhill slide of the Girl Scout Thin Mints.  Two possible factors:

The scouts use two bakeries and the products are somewhat different.  This LA Times piece has a graphic that compares the products and a map that shows who gets which cookies.   That piece also includes a video of a taste test between the two versions and I really, really wanted to give the tasters a nice cold glass of milk!

Second factor:  Both bakeries recently changed their Thin Mints to be vegan.   Maybe they should be served with a cold glass of almond milk now?????

This comment may be more appropriate to the Girl Scout cookies thread, but I figured this discussion was current.  Feel free to move it.

Thanks for the information about the different bakeries.  I know one of them is actually located here in Louisville but unfortunately according to the chart provided we get the Thin Mints that have more of a chocolate flavor which is what I remember in them but the peppermint punch is definitely lacking, probably because of the change to vegan.  Other than that I'm glad we get the cookies from the bakery we do, there other flavors are excellent, especially the Savannah Smiles.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 4 years later...

I have two. Girl Scout lemon cremes -- which they don't make any more, and I mourn. They had a taste that was just above and beyond.

And Archway oatmeal cookies. Love 'em.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/20/2015 at 11:03 AM, Darienne said:

Just discovered a tiny cookie at a friend's house and bought some.   Can't remember the last time I bought a box of cookies.  Costco.  Leclerc Praeventia Dark Chocolate Chip 70% cacao with red wine extract.  Apparently made in St-Augustin-de-Desmaures, Quebec but also listing American addresses in PA,TN and AZ. 

Of course you can't buy them anymore.  It was just too good.  

However, LeClerc has out a new one.   Célébration Finger Cookies.  That's the one I like best, while Ed prefers their Butter Cookies.  I hope they'll be around for a while.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Is slice & bake cheating?  I enjoy Pillsbury Chocolate Chip from time to time.

For regular manufactured cookies,  probably Oreos or Sandies.  I don't buy a lot of cookies.  More likely to buy brownie bites or mini-cinnamon rolls if i want something pre-made that's sweet, but it's hard for me to use up those kind of calories on anything but ice cream.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 2

Help me. There is a Euro cookie - rectangular, sandwich with a thin layer of  chocolate filling. The cookie itself is dry (a dunker I guess) - maybe more cocoa than chocolate per nse. It  is dimpled. Used to come in a variety pack. 

For those who like the Carr's lemon ginger cookies. I want to alert you to a very sad situation. The formula has changed for the worse. It looks different, cookie part seems drier. Less ginger flavor. I'm not even sure I will finish eating these. Might even be smaller.

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.6623d99daa66b2b9dba330579c5b9df3.jpeg

• Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 3:02 PM, MokaPot said:

For those who like the Carr's lemon ginger cookies. I want to alert you to a very sad situation. The formula has changed for the worse. It looks different, cookie part seems drier. Less ginger flavor. I'm not even sure I will finish eating these. Might even be smaller.

IMG_0757.thumb.jpeg.6623d99daa66b2b9dba330579c5b9df3.jpeg

Who asked them to change?  It was a delicious, perfect cooky.  Damn.

On a positive note, my Wawa finally has these:

IMG_3507.thumb.jpg.76e34f6a7e27975e035738e1f0fed4d6.jpg

They are great.  All three of us love them.  The one box I bought 3 days ago is almost gone!

• Like 4