• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

Used to be Pepperidge Farm Brussels, until the company reformulated all of the cookies in the early 80s and Brussels no longer resembled its old self. (a pair of lace cookies with a lot of chopped nuts sandwiched with very dark chocolate)

Current favorite: Amoretti.

Whose Amaretti?

I haven't found a commercial brand I like.

Actually, now that you mention it, I used to get Lazzaroni and liked those well enough. They have disappeared from places I shop regularly here in Phoenix, it's been maybe 3 years or more, now that I think of it... The Virginia ones seem to have taken over, and, I'm not as fond of those.

I love wafer cookies, too. Not the gross stuffed with Crisco and sugar kind, but the mocha kind.

Jaymes, DeSarroni the amaretto people make a nice amaretti cookie that is packed in a red tin. Two cookies each are twisted in a piece of tissue paper. They are the only commercial amaretti cookies that are worth buying.

And they're fine. When I just can't stand it any more, and don't want to make some, that's the brand I buy. But they're crunchy the whole way through. I'd like some with a nice almond flavor, but chewy in the center. Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Garibaldi Biscuits, crunchy, thin, crackery cookie filled with a thin spread of chopped raisins or currants. Sunshine used to make a version in the U.S. called "Golden Fruit". Crawford's out of the U.K. fill the Bill now. Any of the Jules Destrooper cookies out of Belgium get the job done, too...

• Like 1

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

I l-o-o-o-v-e Biscoff! I also like the new fudgy Oreo.

What about those Annie's ginger-type cookies at Costco (I'm sure I have the name wrong.) They're a seasonal item around Xmas time.

• Like 1

Fudge coated raspberry oreos. Dangerous little suckers!

I didn't know these existed. Come the next grocery shopping trip I WILL be trying these. My favorite See's candy is the raspberry buttercream so these should be right up my alley.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

::::head hung in shame:::

I ate half the package of Stella Doro Swiss Fudge and 4 Walkers shortbreads and 4 Jumbo Keebler Fudge Wafers last night...

BTW I forgot to mention my other fave

WAFER STYLE NUTTER BUTTERS, I pull the wafer base off then eat the peanut butter stuffed tops separately

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Franci, did you have a source to buy these in Italy?

No, sorry. I used to buy them in the UK, but I'm sure you can find them. Best chance would be to contact them directly and ask.

http://www.inesrosales.com/seccion/INTERNATIONAL/164/195/263/0/2/85/22

Marks & Spencer Butter Crunch, circa 1982.

But recently, the Walker's shortbread variant with Sicilian lemon and ginger. Spectacular ! Forget the raspberry ones or the chocolate ones.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I love LU's Le Petit Écolier with the chocolate-hazelnut coating, but I can't seem to find them anymore. Amazon lists them, but shows no availability. Sniff. :sad:

Le Petit Écolier Hazelnut Chocolate

• Like 2