• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

Used to be Pepperidge Farm Brussels, until the company reformulated all of the cookies in the early 80s and Brussels no longer resembled its old self. (a pair of lace cookies with a lot of chopped nuts sandwiched with very dark chocolate)

Current favorite: Amoretti.

• Like 1

... Girl Scout Thin Mints....

GS Thin Mints are tops in my book. We buy enough in the early spring to stash some in the freezer. Never any left come summer.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Raspberry Lady Bugs. They make a couple of other flavors, but it's raspberry or nothing for me. Heavenly, but oh-so- hard to find.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

LU Little Schoolboys http://www.amazon.com/LU-Cookies-Schoolboy-Chocolate-5-29-Ounce/dp/B0019FM33M

And LU Orange Biscuits http://www.amazon.com/European-Pims-Orange-Biscuits-5-29/dp/B00COK11NO/ref=sr_1_8?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1383692818&sr=1-8&keywords=lu

And, okay, actually anything by LU.

And also those Mother's Iced Oatmeal cookies. Not so esoteric as LU's for sure. But for some reason, I just think they're really tasty.

Especially when chewed with a bit of good cheddar cheese alongside.

I know - no accounting for taste.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Used to be Pepperidge Farm Brussels, until the company reformulated all of the cookies in the early 80s and Brussels no longer resembled its old self. (a pair of lace cookies with a lot of chopped nuts sandwiched with very dark chocolate)

Current favorite: Amoretti.

Whose Amaretti?

I haven't found a commercial brand I like.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think perhaps some of the brands of cookies mentioned are not available where we live. Don't know.

Asked my DH if we had a ready made cookie we liked. He said he liked Dad's Oatmeal. I reminded him he hasn't had one in over two decades at least and that they might well have changed the formula by now.

Then he remembered that when we are on the road, we often pick up lunch salads at Subway...there's one at every exit...and that we like their double fudge and macadamia cookies. Wicked, but tasty.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Samoas are a favorite with Thin Mints not far behind although I've never been a big commercial cookie eater....or a big cookie eater in general.

When I was a kid my favorite store-bought cookie was the Fig Newton (thanks to my paternal grandfather.) They were a very welcome change in that they were much different than the excellent homemade cookies that my Mom always made (one of those special treats from a grandparent). Mom never bought commercial cookies.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

...and those Walkers Shortbread cookies! soooo good!

Lorna Doones suck now that they removed the BUTTER

BTW I got one of these gorgeous Walker Shortbread cookie tins shaped like a London Bus at Hong Kong Supermarket on Adams Ave in Philly.

Super cute.

http://produits.bienmanger.com/11217-0w0h0_Walkers_Walkers_London_Bus_Tin_Biscuits.jpg

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Lorna Doones suck now that they removed the BUTTER

I thought I hated shortbread because all I had ever had were Lorna Doones. Then my DW started making home-made shortbread and I found that I had been wrong. Walkers are good.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I love wafer cookies, too. Not the gross stuffed with Crisco and sugar kind, but the mocha kind.

Jaymes, DeSarroni the amaretto people make a nice amaretti cookie that is packed in a red tin. Two cookies each are twisted in a piece of tissue paper. They are the only commercial amaretti cookies that are worth buying.

Edited by annabelle (log)
  • Like 2