• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the Deal with Ceramic Lined Pots and Pans?

Shel_B

I've seen 'em advertised all over the place - seems like they're the hot new thing in cookware. But are they worthwhile? Do they have decent non-stick properties? Do the manufacturers make good products, or are they flimsy and short lived? Any brands that are good? Who's got some and what do you think of 'em?

... Shel

I think you're going to have to be a lot more specific. Ceramic-lined cookware has been around for decades. Some of it -- Le Creuset and Staub, for example -- is excellent for a certain type of cooking. Other stuff -- like the ceramic-lined steel pans my mom loved because of their light weight (she had severe arthritis) -- was crap by any other standard.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think you're going to have to be a lot more specific. Ceramic-lined cookware has been around for decades. Some of it -- Le Creuset and Staub, for example -- is excellent for a certain type of cooking. Other stuff -- like the ceramic-lined steel pans my mom loved because of their light weight (she had severe arthritis) -- was crap by any other standard.

I never saw or heard of Staub or Le Creuset ceramic lined cookware. I don't know what your mom loved. I'm talking about the green pans I see advertised on TV and in the Sunday supplements, the Calphalon ceramic lined pans, and other name brand pots and pans.

... Shel

I've got two Greenpans (birthday-present) and am not at all happy with them. They are totally not non-stick, and thus quite unusable. I also own several Le Creuset non-stick pans (not ceramic), and am very happy with these. They don't stick, can be used on high heat, don't suffer from metal utensils (as long as you don't put your knife to the pan) and come with a life-long warranty.

• Like 2

As a retired art teacher who did a lot of work with ceramics, I don't consider enameled cookware to be ceramic even though it contains the same ingredients. I consider it akin to ceramic glaze instead. In any case I am sure what Shel-B is asking about is the relatively new ceramic lined cookware touted to ge the newest and greatest non stick cookware the world has ever known.

I have seen some cheap looking stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond but got small but sturdier pan for 'free' with points accumulated at a local grocery store. It isn't 6 months old and sausage I cooked for breakfast yesterday stuck. previously some eggs stuck too. It wasn't bad and it cleaned up easily but this stuff needs to be oiled in order to work well and I think that kind of defeats the purpose of getting non stick in the first place.

While we're being snippy and pedantic with Wikipedia's assistance, porcelain enamel is not porcelain, so the argument that Le Creuset and friends are the subject of this question is moot.

Glad to hear that people have encountered the stuff that the question was about. Not surprised to hear that it isn't so great.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Anyone remember Descoware? That was good stuff. I got several pieces as wedding gifts and used them constantly. I always home in on the housewares section in thrift shops hoping to find a treasure. No luck.