• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

R.I.P. Dave Hatfield

Dave the Cook

I can't believe it! We just went on the loveliest food adventure with Dave and Linda and Rupert, and now he's gone --too soon I might add.

I, too, have tears in my eyes Pierogi.

Linda, big hugs from me to you and Rupert.

• Like 1

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your reaching out to us in what must be a busy and difficult time. From your timely and heartfelt note, it's clear that you recognized just how important Dave was to our eGullet community. Indeed, in many ways, he was an exemplar of what the Society is at its best, and those of us who served as eG Forums volunteers appreciated each and every contribution.

Of course, he was committed to considered, articulate, and, shall we say, energetic discussion about food and drink in all its forms! But the outpouring of appreciation for him in this topic -- which will continue to grow for days or more -- is a testament to the relationships he built with his contributions (such as his "autofoodography"!) here in our strange, wonderful online world.

The depth of those relationships makes me sad that I was not able to meet him over wine and cheese, but so grateful for his virtual presence. I'm similarly grateful to you for sharing his final days with us.

Tonight, I'll drink to him, to you, and to a life well-lived and well-loved, wandering the vineyards, markets, and hillsides with Rupert at his side. With condolences and appreciation both.

Sincerely,

Chris Amirault

• Like 10

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This is not a place in the forum that I often visit, and I just noticed the sad news. I had much enjoyed the recent blog, wishing that it, like Dave's time here, could have been far longer. I am very sorry for Linda and all Dave's family and friends, four footed and otherwise.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am terribly sorry to hear the news. I thoroughly enjoyed Dave's voice, wit and thoughtful posts on eGullet. His last food blog gave a glimpse of an interesting life, very well-lived, with good family and friends. I know that he'll be keenly missed in our virtual world, and I know that the loss will be even keener for those in his real world.

Linda, it was very gracious of you to tell us what happened. Thank you for taking the time to think of us. I take a lot of comfort in knowing that he lived a full life, right up to the end, and died peacefully without pain.

Godspeed and comfort to Dave. Condolences and comfort and blessings to Linda, Rupert, and your extended circle of friends and family.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Those who knew him personally are fortunate indeed. His wit and enthusiasm will be missed here in our little virtual corner. I know we shall feel his loss as well. Know how loved and respected he was, even by those who'd never had the pleasure of meeting him. That speaks volumes about the passion he could share with his words. I am sorry to never have had the pleasure to raise a glass in person. I shall raise one in his honor instead. Cheers to to you, good Sir. And Godspeed Mr. Hatfield.

• Like 2

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have not posted here in a while and I found this thread. I so very sorry to hear this, much love and condolences to his family. I have enjoyed reading his writings, he will be missed. 

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Likewise, I've been absent from the site for a while and did not know. My deepest sympathies. I admired his writing and his food. May his family and loved ones find peace.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...