• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

R.I.P. Dave Hatfield

Dave the Cook

We're very sorry to announce the passing of long-time member Dave Hatfield. We received this email from his wife Linda this morning:

Dear Egullet friends of David Hatfield,

It is with great sadness that I must tell you that David, my beloved husband, passed away peacefully at home on Thursday 24th October. Please read my letter sent out after the funeral on Wednesday.

My dear Friends
Your love and support have really sustained me through the fog of my bereaved pain during this last week. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
The week before My Darling David died he was in very good form and had enjoyed our wine tasting evening at Ruve and Michaels, several dinners with friends, writing for Egullet and even played 18 holes of golf the day before he died!
He was delighted to have been qualified to join the Fifi History Group. With a promise to do a talk on local food during the war and serve the same dishes for a history Group lunch, he was accepted. He was so looking forward to the History tour on Thursday afternoon and was busy organising his day, when in the middle of writing a food article for Egullet he died. The auto save showed his work was saved at 9:47am. Rupert and I found him looking peaceful and asleep on the sofa.
My one solace is that David did not suffer and left us very quickly.
As I contemplate this last week, our nearest and dearest friends have loved me like their own, each showing it in a different way. Your letters, emails and cards are all around me reminding me how much you care. The sea of faces at the crematorium took my breath away, so many of you were able to celebrate my David's life and will be forever remembered.
Life without David will be tough but in his memory I will continue living my life as best I can. I will remain in France and continue my friendships, work and singing. I will take over David's role of keeping in touch with our very dear international friends.
Sore as I am, I know I am blessed with a blanket of love.
Linda

Dave not only impressed the membership with his thoughtfulness, experience, and palate, he shared them with us through his three eG Foodblogs: the first in 2007, La France Profonde in 2012, and his last, A Food Adventure, just a few weeks ago.

We'll miss you, Dave.

+ + +

Please note: this topic is in a forum that requires posts to be approved before they will appear. For reasons too complicated to get into here, we can't change that. So if you post and it doesn't show up immediately, please be patient and don't repost. A staff member will come along and hit the button to make your post appear, though it might take a little while. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

How very, very sad. My heart goes out to Linda and to Rupert. He will surely be missed on eGullet. Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A life well-lived with food, friends, travel, words, love.

A death quick with no pain or suffering.

It is all that can be wished for our time here on Earth.

Godspeed.

• Like 6

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

This is sad news indeed. His writing was so great and so evocative of the places of which he wrote that one had the feeling of being right there next to him.

He will be profoundly missed.

• Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow!

I am so very sorry!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Im sad, very very sad.

he gave me and others a great view on French Life and Country Life. Much missed and I wish you and Rupert happiness from now on.

to me, and I say this with great respect, he understood: Great Cheese, Fine Wine, Crusty Bread and many

friends to enjoy it with.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Much sadness here. But happy to have been able to read his wonderful writings.

My sincere condolences, Linda; to you and your family and friends.

And Dave - Adieu and rest in peace.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Linda -

I enjoyed working with Dave on his last two eGullet foodblogs. For this latest one, he stepped up to the plate when nobody else volunteered, and displayed enthusiasm and joy about sharing his food life. Thank you also for sharing that he was in a state of happiness with respect to the other areas of his life. He leaves a hole here at eGullet, but he left on a high note. I send you and your family all my best thoughts and wishes.

• Like 2

I can't add much to what others have said.....only that I am feeling the same. Sadness, shock, gratitude that I had a chance to share his world through his writings here, and an inexplicable sense of loss for someone I never "met". How strangely wonderful that this group has given us the opportunity to know each other's lives and passions, and how strangely wonderful that I type this with tears in my eyes for someone I never knew in person, but felt I knew very well, indeed.

Thank you Linda and Rupert for sharing Dave with us. My thoughts are with you as you navigate through the world without his physical presence, but with him in your hearts and minds forever.

• Like 7

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"