• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies Redux

Jaymes

With Thanksgiving right around the corner in the US, that can only mean that Christmas isn't far behind.

So, I'm starting to think about this year's Christmas Cookie list - what to make, what to keep, what to give away...what to start right now (rum balls).

And I come to eG to peruse one of my very favorite threads of all time: Christmas Cookies.

http://forums.egulle...istmas-cookies/

Anyone else beginning your Christmas Cookie musings?

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I started picking up extra baking supplies in anticipation. Last year's list is still up on the fridge and my DW and I will soon start looking it over.

Thanks for starting this thread. It is a reminder that I need to order more parchment paper.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I wasn't sure I was going to bother this year but it's starting to look like I probably will. I have no idea what at this point but I should probably start figuring that out. I'm leaning towards an entirely new list so I'll be looking for ideas to steal. I've been doing the ones I know the people I give them to like for a long time... might be time to shake things up a bit.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I wasn't sure I was going to bother this year but it's starting to look like I probably will. I have no idea what at this point but I should probably start figuring that out. I'm leaning towards an entirely new list so I'll be looking for ideas to steal. I've been doing the ones I know the people I give them to like for a long time... might be time to shake things up a bit.

Well, I really recommend that you give that previous Christmas Cookies thread (the one to which I linked) a very good going over. I defy anyone to read it and not get inspired.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm goin to do both Christmas cookies and cupcakes this year if I can fit it in my schedule. And I'll probably get my baking and packing supplies online to save on time having to go to the store. I've found that papermart.com has some really nice cupcake cups and a lot of gift boxes and bags. Helps a lot so I won't need to make my own boxes or bags.

I can't wait to try cinnamon stars . . . I need to get almond flour . . .

I have 2 recipes for those, one credited as German and one as Swiss, and they're completely different. From the reading I've done, the recipe credited as German seems to be the one that is authentic. The one credited as Swiss contains chocolate, a huge amount of cinnamon and no almonds. I don't remember where I got it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I will probably do a lot of bar cookies this year because they are quick and I hate rolling things into balls and rolling and slicing. Although, Christmas wouldn't be the same without my roll out sugar cookies so I will probably do those. I'm doing chocolate chip cookie bars, baklava bars, snickerdoodle bars, and raspberry crumble bars. I thought about doing fudge but I'm not sure if anyone really gets excited about that anymore.

Would it look bad to do just all bar cookies? I need fast this year because I think I'm going to get hit with 50 million buche de noel orders, but I don't want to leave my family and friends out in the cold with no cookies!

• Like 1

I'll make one of our favorite cookies: Fanny Farmer's Viennese Crescents make with ground pecans. Only not in crescents and with minimal rolled in sugar part rather either dunked in chocolate or embroidered with chocolate. Oh my.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will probably do a lot of bar cookies this year because they are quick and I hate rolling things into balls and rolling and slicing. Although, Christmas wouldn't be the same without my roll out sugar cookies so I will probably do those. I'm doing chocolate chip cookie bars, baklava bars, snickerdoodle bars, and raspberry crumble bars. I thought about doing fudge but I'm not sure if anyone really gets excited about that anymore.

Would it look bad to do just all bar cookies? I need fast this year because I think I'm going to get hit with 50 million buche de noel orders, but I don't want to leave my family and friends out in the cold with no cookies!

Do what you want to do and remove anybody that complains from next year's list. :biggrin: Seriously though, for the most part, I make holiday baking as easy on myself as possible. I'm particularly happy with recipes I can scoop with my cookie scoop and plop on the pans. Allows for knocking out a lot of cookies fast. I do very few that require rolling and cutting. I usually do these Mr. Hankey gingerbreads...

poo_zps31ae8f8c.jpg

...which are a pain in the butt because, as far as I know, no such cutter exists. So I cut out each one with a knife. I'm seriously considering dropping them for this year, they're hugely time-consuming.

• Like 2

poo_zps31ae8f8c.jpg

...which are a pain in the butt because, as far as I know, no such cutter exists. So I cut out each one with a knife. I'm seriously considering dropping them for this year, they're hugely time-consuming.

But they are adorable! I think you can make cutters fairly easily - I've seen them mentioned somewhere online.

• Like 1

Kerry, those are freaking hilarious! I hand-cut nearly all fondant decorations for my cakes so I totally understand what a labor of love that is.

I haven't finalized my bar cookie decision. I've come across some recipes over the last few days which look really appealing. I like variety in a cookie box so I may end up doing several different things. I may even do the fudge!

Hey, anyone have a good coconut macaroon recipe?

Kerry, those are freaking hilarious! I hand-cut nearly all fondant decorations for my cakes so I totally understand what a labor of love that is.

I haven't finalized my bar cookie decision. I've come across some recipes over the last few days which look really appealing. I like variety in a cookie box so I may end up doing several different things. I may even do the fudge!

Hey, anyone have a good coconut macaroon recipe?

Not mine - those are Tri2cook's little gems.

Here's a recipe I love for macaroons - ignore the part where you preheat the oven a day before you are ready to bake them -

Coconut Macaroons 2 Source: sugar, Anna Olson

(30 servings)

• 4 large egg whites I used 6, 125 grams
  • 1 ⅓ cups sugar, 260 grams
  • cup condensed milk, 100 grams
  • dash salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 ½ cups coconut, 210 grams
  • ¼ cup flour, 35 grams
1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Stir together all ingredients and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Increase heat and cook over hot water in a double boiler until thickend and pulls away from bottom and sides of the pan. Chill completely before baking.
2.Drop heaping teaspoons 2 inches apart onto parchemnt and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until pale golden.
3.Keep 10 days in airtight container.
4.Microwave directions - put everything in an 8 cup microwave bowl and cook for about 4 minutes - stirring after 2 minutes.

• Like 1

Some of you that joined eGullet in the past few years might not be familiar with Anna Ginsberg, who posted here for years as Claire797. She's a Texas gal, a world-class baker, and a Pillsbury Bakeoff winner.

Her excellent blog is "Cookie Madness" and she swears by Ina's recipe for coconut macaroons.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/2008/03/inas-macaroons/

Anna is also very approachable and if you have questions, you can contact her, either through her blog, or facebook. She used to readily respond to pm's here, but I note she hasn't shown up on eG for quite a while, so I wouldn't be positive a pm would reach her.

Anyone looking for cookie inspiration as the holidays approach, or any other time for that matter, should definitely take a cruise through Cookie Madness: http://www.cookiemadness.net/

• Like 5

Jaymes, thanks for that link! And Tri2Cook? Those are awesome! There must be a way to streamline that process so you can keep making them.

I've been baking cookies every week since May so I wasn't sure whether I needed to do a big christmas cookie plan or not (since everyone gets cookies every week anyway), but I already find myself making a list of everything I want to make. So far it's looking like gingerbread snowflakes, chocolate-ginger crackle cookies, peppermint marshmallows, maybe a thumbprint cookie, and some sort of shortbread. This list will probably continue to grow… maybe I need some caramels or fudge too?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

And Tri2Cook? Those are awesome! There must be a way to streamline that process so you can keep making them.

Thanks! I'm actually working on streamlining the process right now. Kerry gave me the idea when she mentioned making cutters. I did a little google time and, hopefully, found what I need. I requested a quote from a place here in Ontario that makes custom tin cookie cutters. Just waiting to hear back from them. I'm not sure if I can get it done in time for this year but, if this works out, I'll be ready for next year.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm actually working on streamlining the process right now. Kerry gave me the idea when she mentioned making cutters. I did a little google time and, hopefully, found what I need. I requested a quote from a place here in Ontario that makes custom tin cookie cutters. Just waiting to hear back from them. I'm not sure if I can get it done in time for this year but, if this works out, I'll be ready for next year.

Wow, you're going all-out. I would have tried to make my own. I know there are kits you can buy too. But if this is something you make every year and the cost isn't too outrageous, it's probably totally worth it. Please post the results!

Edited to add this link… http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Cookie-Cutter-L9005/dp/B004QP3F1G

Edited by emmalish (log)
  • Like 1

wanna come with?

I usually don't do cookies at Christmas, it's been all candy. I have been wanting to give a caramel thumbprint cookie recipe a try for quite awhile so maybe I will finally give in a give it a whirl. Thanks for the link for Anna's goodies, lots of inspiration there!

• Like 2

I usually don't do cookies at Christmas, it's been all candy. I have been wanting to give a caramel thumbprint cookie recipe a try for quite awhile so maybe I will finally give in a give it a whirl. Thanks for the link for Anna's goodies, lots of inspiration there!

Okay, that sounds really good. Can you point us to a recipe? :wub:

wanna come with?