• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies Redux

Jaymes

I'm going to make a few family favourites; Alison Roman's Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Bailley's Truffles, Cheese Crispies and shortbread with some type of inclusions. Goinig to get started today.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm going to make a few family favourites; Alison Roman's Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Bailley's Truffles, Cheese Crispies and shortbread with some type of inclusions. Goinig to get started today.

I don’t know what a Cheese Crispíe is, but I know I want some! Can you point me at a recipe?

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

3 minutes ago, BetD said:

I don’t know what a Cheese Crispíe is, but I know I want some! Can you point me at a recipe?

Certainly. This is one of those recipes where the sum of the ingredients is greater than the parts. It's my husband's one and only request for Christmas baking every year.

https://www.bestofbridge.com/cocktail-crisps/

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Certainly. This is one of those recipes where the sum of the ingredients is greater than the parts. It's my husband's one and only request for Christmas baking every year.

Thanks for posting this link.  I used to have a couple of books in The Best of Bridge series but they went out with the last purge.  They had a great butter tart recipe in one of their books.  I have 3 cartons of Imperial cheese in the freezer so I'll be giving these a try.  That cheese is great in Mac 'n Cheese which is why I originally bought it.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks for posting this link.  I used to have a couple of books in The Best of Bridge series but they went out with the last purge.  They had a great butter tart recipe in one of their books.  I have 3 cartons of Imperial cheese in the freezer so I'll be giving these a try.  That cheese is great in Mac 'n Cheese which is why I originally bought it.

I have the original 5 cookbooks plus a couple of their newer ones. One of my daughters has already requested that I leave them to her. I appreciate that they are well tested, not too complex and call for fairly common ingredients. The Land of Nod monkey bread is a standard for our Christmas Breakfast.

We love Imperial Cheese - I could it it with a spoon!

15 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have the original 5 cookbooks plus a couple of their newer ones. One of my daughters has already requested that I leave them to her. I appreciate that they are well tested, not too complex and call for fairly common ingredients. The Land of Nod monkey bread is a standard for our Christmas Breakfast.

We love Imperial Cheese - I could it it with a spoon!

I think the butter tart recipe was in their first book.  As for the Imperial cheese, I too, could eat it with a spoon.  Love the stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

This sounds like a keeper, I only hope it will work as well with Black Diamond Sharp Cheddar Spread. Looks like the Imperial doesn’t make it south of the border. Thank you!

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

I'm making cookies but I doubt that anyone will be interested in them except for Ed and me and Ed only because he's becoming accustomed to gluten free baking.       

I have a recipe of Tahini Strips with chocolate chips in them from Melinda Strauss, a Brownie recipe featuring almond meal from the One Pot Chef and a Shortbread recipe of one-to-one Red Bob Mill's gluten free flour from  Gluten Free Palate.  Ed's not fond of the texture of the Shortbread recipe but I rather like the grittiness.  To each his own as they say.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I thought these were beautiful, but I don't see myself actually getting around to making them. Maybe I can talk a friend into doing them with me to get me motivated. I love the Isomalt clear centres in some of them. I've never used Isomalt, is it tricky? 

The recipe for buttery, crumbly, slightly crisp, melt-in-your-mouth cookies are very versatile.

From this source:

https://vancouversun.com/life/food/recipes/karen-gordon-spectacular-holiday-cookies-that-look-like-you-fussed

• Like 4

I've whittled my list of recipients way down the last few years and between Covid fears and my mobility issues will not bake thi year. Plus some of the older folk say thank you and then tell you they are not supposd to indulge per doctors. I asked City Hall and the guards if they get inundated with goodies and they said yes it is ridicu8lous. So I've switched to early in year random gifting (after the New Years resolutions wear off) and it seems more appreciated when unexpected. I do have a good bit of honey from generous bee guy so may at least bake a honney spice cake or some honey nut drop cookies.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I haven't made cookies in at least two years now....reading this thread was sad with so many people gone now :( .  I think Ronnie's kids will probably come over for the first time since Covid (Ronnie and I both got covid again right before Christmas last year) so I may bake.....we will see lol.

• Like 4