• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Cookies Redux

Jaymes

On 12/6/2016 at 7:19 AM, David Ross said:

This is year #3 working on my gingerbread house project and I think it's just about finished, although I have a few more ideas for adding some candies next year. 

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

Unfortunately this gingerbread house has fallen.  I wasn't able to do anything for the holidays last year because I was recovering from breaking my upper right arm.  So much to my horror, when I unpacked the Christmas boxes this year I found this wonderful creation had been damaged.  I had put it on a cardboard base and stuffed it in a large hard plastic storage bin, but it wasn't really wide enough to fit the base so it sort of bent and that collapsed under the weight of the house.  And somehow I hadn't properly sealed the bin as somehow moisture or humidity got in and softened all the candy, gingerbread and frosting.  So it couldn't be repaired or saved.

But I'm already working on building a replacement and a few more this year.  I'll post photos when I have the first one done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I thought I ask my question here 

Id like help with and I.D. of a particular cookie

my mother made cookies from time to time.

i think this cookie has a european-ish name , perhaps not

it is a roundish cookie that has ground nuts mixed in.

when baking is finished , it is rolled in powdered sugar while hot then allowed to cool

its a very ' tender '  cookie   and melts in your mouth

its easy to make , as Ive made it myself a few times

please help me remember the name

Seasonal Cheers , and a Merry Christmas  Your Way !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@rotuts

I am thinking Pfeffernusse. I think of them primarily as spice cookies but I know some recipes call for ground almonds. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you !

I looked up a few Rx's , esp in Fannyfarmer.  I couldn't find my mothers Joy of Cooking

and those were probably the only cookbooks she used , and of course the Betty Crocker   " Loose-Leaf "  cookbook

what I recall are more towards snowballs as they didn't have the spice or glazing of Pfeffemusse  as IU recall

thanks again 1

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Or maybe Russian Tea Cakes aka Mexican Wedding Cookies aka Snowballs?

This cookie is the one in my photo with the chocolate squiggles on it (my take).  My very favorite cookie.  And yes it is the Russian Tea Cake and Mexican Wedding Cookie (Polvorones) and a dozen other names depending upon the country.   It's in the Fanny Farmer cookbook as Viennese Crescents and other online websites credit her with the recipe.  Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook lists it twice: Nut Crescents and Mexican Wedding Cookies.  
    I make it with pecans and have never tried it with almonds.  And it does melt in your mouth.  Five dozen go to my Cookie Exchange...can't believe I am a Virgin Cookie Exchanger at the ripe old age of 77.   :P

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

thanks again

@Darienne

I think your  chocolate squiggles cookies brought back memories .  

my mothers were  a variant of the polvorones , as these were my favorite cookie while I lived in Spain.   only at Christmas !

Polvo.jpg.b1ca6b5a11d6fa11033d3312bd4f8717.jpg

and she made them w pecans.

thank you all again

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Fanny Farmer has them rolled in confectioner's sugar before baking and after.   I can't remember where I read the accompanying text to the 'crescent' part of the name...the crescent shape represents the repelling of the Turkish army by the Viennese in 1529.  I am just too lazy to make the crescents.  I hope the Viennese will forgive me.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thanks again

I think I need to thank you. I have not thought about pfeffernusse in a very long time. Now I’m inclined to make them!

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2nd of the 3 things I will bake. These Linzer bars came out more candy than cookie but taste great. Going to try to cut up the sticky mess now that it has cooled and hardened overnight. I used a mixed berry jam and apricot jam with some Meyer lemon juice to tart it up. 

Linzer.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I did about, by my estimation, 10 doz. lemon shortbread rounds this morning.  Hoo boy.   I earned my hot toddy this morning.

I finished my dozen Caribbean Rum Cakes 2 days ago.

One more batch of palmiers in the nearish future.

Just in time for the Christmas parties to start.

• Like 3

In western Kentucky, where I was born and raised, they were known as pecan "meltaways" (there are a fair number of recipes if you Google that name)

And they were occasionally made with rum or bourbon - but never if they were going to one of the church events.

I have also seen them called pecan crescents, pecan balls, Mexican wedding cookies, Italian wedding cookies that were plain, with pecans, with pecans and lemon, plain with anise, made with pine nuts, and Pecan Snowballs, Louisiana Pecan balls,  Southern Pecan Butterballs, Martha Stewart calls hers' Noel Nut Balls 

And the funniest name is Angel Turds...  Lest you think I am making this up, here is the link  -  Pecan balls or angel turds – the best Christmas cookie of all

My grandparents' cook made 50 DOZEN of these for Christmas after the end of WWII and it was easier to get white sugar and powdered sugar.  600 cookies may sound like a lot but at Christmas 1945 with some visiting family and friends, there were more than 30 people to be fed.  There were other cookies and lots of cakes but I remember these because I could help roll them in the powdered sugar - togged out in a large pinafore to cover my clothes because that powdered sugar went everywhere!

It was really funny that some of the men, who usually avoided the kitchen, would walk through on their way out instead of leaving through the hall to the porch that opened on the side where the barns were.  Going out the kitchen door, they had to walk halfway around the house. Often there were suspicious patches of powdered sugar on their coats. 

• Like 10

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

And the funniest name is Angel Turds...  Lest you think I am making this up, here is the link  -  Pecan balls or angel turds – the best Christmas cookie of all

Which, of course, brings to mind one of the cookie varieties we exchanged this afternoon at the Cookie Exchange...Moose Farts.  

Have to say that I think my Fannie Farmer Viennese Crescents were the most popular of all.  Went home with nary a one.  Not that I am a good baker, but rather that you cannot go wrong with butter, sugar, pecans, chocolate...shortbreads.  Is there anyone who doesn't love them?

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 12/8/2018 at 6:14 AM, rotuts said:

These are all similar to the "Butterball Cookies" recipe i posted in RecipeGullet (click). Walnuts are used instead of pecans (my mom, having grown up in Kansas used black walnuts in anything she could).

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I jumped in with both feet day before yesterday.  Ronnie had meetings all day and evening so it was a good time to make a bunch of different cookie doughs.  

Yesterday, I baked them all.  The goal was to get them done and packaged before my wonderful UPS man showed up--which is usually between 3 and 5.  Thank goodness he was closer to 5 last night.

Ya'll, cookies take longer than you think.........🍪 or probably, I'm just really slow 😁

Anyway, two new cookies:

Snickerdoodle Party Cookies

thumbnail_IMG_5651.jpg.32b8f49c1903c59ed5a83533414ffc0d.jpg

They are good.  You get a crunch from the cornflakes and then a bit of chew from the Skor candy bars.  I had trouble getting the flakes to stick to the cookie balls, but other than that, a pretty easy recipe.

Next I did @Kim Shook's Supersized Ginger Chewies

thumbnail_IMG_5652.jpg.9a3d8d3ab0a906979c29ca428b067853.jpg

These are really good.  I LOVE the gooey Sugar Babies that melt out of some.  

Then I made the Sparkle Cookies from last year

thumbnail_IMG_5656.jpg.7ccae738bd31fe03b3f928b74437bcde.jpg

And the Raspberry Almond Thumbprints from last year

thumbnail_IMG_5654.jpg.508e0d59bc59be2638a6f22f299067c7.jpg

At this point I looked at the clock and decided I'd better get to packaging.  Plus I still had to make a birthday cake for my mother-in-law....

So, I have the dough made, but I didn't bake Smitten Kitten's oatmeal raisin cookies.  That will be either this afternoon or tomorrow. 

thumbnail_IMG_5655.jpg.23868435a897aeaceb2e842b1ed1d4fe.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5653.jpg.51c231450bdddac0728564c8b7a2baf8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5657.jpg.4af5382e38a356dd2498feb8d5191e64.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5659.jpg.e5d46a6dae41f6197d44a9357bc07bdf.jpg

I don't know how you bakers and candy makers do it all.  So exhausting lol.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I don't know how you bakers and candy makers do it all.  So exhausting lol.

You are so funny. If I get one batch of cookies done over two days I think I’m doing pretty well.  As an aside I made oatmeal raisin cookies the other day and they were greeted with much enthusiasm. They are the best!

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

I made oatmeal raisin cookies the other day and they were greeted with much enthusiasm. They are the best!

Definitely very close to the top of the list of my favorites! :)

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I made a batch of spiced wafers this week. Some of them are going into Christmas gifts. Many are going into my mouth. They are So Freaking Good with coffee. Thank you, whoever brought up that topic and led me to the recipe!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

I made a batch of spiced wafers this week. Some of them are going into Christmas gifts. Many are going into my mouth. They are So Freaking Good with coffee. Thank you, whoever brought up that topic and led me to the recipe!

I could use a recipe for spiced wafers please.  Where is this recipe you were led to please.  Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.