• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dejah

Chicken Feet Experiment

7 posts in this topic

I haven't made these for a long time, but a friend just gave me 10 lbs of cleaned plump chicken feet.

Cantonese dim sum style Golden Phoenix Palms is not easy to come by in our small city. I love these and decided I needed to make a pile and have ready in the freezer for a treat anytime!

The set up for deep frying outside. Once brown and crispy, the feet were tossed into a pot of ice water.

1 set-up1619.jpg

Sizzling in the wok of hot oil. I had the flame on high. There was a lot of splattering, but I didn't care - nothing to clean up in the house and I stayed far away after I first put them in:

3Sizzle1622.jpg

4GoldenPalms1623.jpg

The feet were simmered for 1.5 hours

simmering1629.jpg

The simmered feet were drained, cooled then coated with a marinade to sit overnight.

In Marinade1634.jpg

Steamed for 15 minutes and ready to enjoy!

Steamed1646.jpg

4 people like this

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Curious..I've done chicken feet.

You fryed till golden, put in an ice bath, then brought that up to simmer.. Not sure of your procedure?

You had aromatics in the simmer?

Spicy Black Bean is what I did..

Question? You ever eat the soft bones, or do you just mouth around them?

Cheers. PB

Its good to have Morels

Those chicken feet look great and of professional or restaurant quality.

The only comment i can make, and maybe redundant as you may have already been doing it, is that i denature the skin, something like having to denature the skin in siu yuk, with salt, vodka, etc; and also in Malaysian/Singaporean version of Hainanese Chicken. The intent is to increase the thickness and texture of the skin, and especially in chicken feet, the skin is what its all about, and yes, there maybe some tendons in there also, but its the skin and the added spices/aromatics are what its all about.

What i do is that i wash the feet in free flowing water, cut off the ‘ toes’, then sprinkle them liberally with salt, whatever salt i have on hand. Depending on what else i have to do, i let them brine/marinate, and have known to let them marinate overnite, as i forgot. Then i blanch them, and then coat with honey or maltose, and let it dry as much as i can, ie air dry or preferably dry in the fridge, overnite or preferably for 1 or 2 days. Then dump them into as hot a deep fryer as i can get, and run as far away as i can :)). Once they are browned, i scoop them up and dump into ice cold water.

That’s how i denature or prep the feet before the simmering/braising/steaming and addition of flavors, ie the spices and aromatics.

What i have found when i just deep fry them, without the above prep, is that the skin is just a thin film, and the aromatics /spices/stock become all important, as there is little left of the feet. IMO the perfect chicken feet is one that is plum-by and can hold the flavors within itself. Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone else

Edited by heidih Increased font size for ease of reading (log)
2 people like this

It's dangerous to eat, it's more dangerous to live.

Curious..I've done chicken feet.

You fryed till golden, put in an ice bath, then brought that up to simmer.. Not sure of your procedure?

You had aromatics in the simmer?

Spicy Black Bean is what I did..

Question? You ever eat the soft bones, or do you just mouth around them?

Cheers. PB

Paul: The ice bath makes the feet puff up, wrinkled and bloated. I think the contrast in temperature "pulls" the skin and tendon away from the bone?

I drained the feet from the ice water, then simmered them in a pot of fresh water with star anise and ginger. That's all the recipe called for, but I added Thai chili peppers, a couple tbsp soy sauce, and some whole fermented black beans. I really wanted the flavour to go thru' the feet.

Then the feet were drained and covered with a marinade for overnight. They were spicy, garlicky, black bean saucy, but not as much chew as I would have liked.

The smaller bones were quite edible, but I generally spit them out - part of the fun! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

jsager01: Thanks for the suggestion on "denature". I will try that next time.

Could find maltose in any of our stores, so I sprinkled sugar on them, as one recipe suggested. The next batch - which won't be for some time, will be with maltose. I like your process and will definitely try it for comparison.

1 person likes this

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

jsager01: Thanks for the suggestion on "denature". I will try that next time.

Could find maltose in any of our stores, so I sprinkled sugar on them, as one recipe suggested. The next batch - which won't be for some time, will be with maltose. I like your process and will definitely try it for comparison.

Hi Dejah, I've made this with honey before and it came out pretty good. Just a suggestion if you still can't find maltose in your local stores. Good luck!

2 people like this

Chef and Editor @ Yi Reservation

Maltose is available at homebrew supply stores. I would use dry malt, though I think malt extract (It's sort of like honey) could also work. Look for the pale kind, not the dark (unless you really want a caramel flavor).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in southern China, where I live, is sugar central for the country. Over two-thirds of China's output of sugar is grown right here, making it one of the largest sugar production areas on the planet. I have a second home in the countryside and it is surrounded by sugar cane fields.

Much of this is produced by small time farmers, although huge Chinese and international companies have also moved in.

Also, sugar is used extensively in Chinese cooking, not only as a sweetener, but more as a spice. A little added to a savoury dish can bring out otherwise hidden flavours. It also has medicinal attributes according to traditional Chinese medicine.

Supermarkets have what was to me, on first sight, a huge range of sugars, some almost unrecognisable. Here is a brief introduction to some of them. Most sugar is sold loose, although corner shops and mom 'n pop stores may have pre-packed bags. These are often labelled in English as "candy", the Chinese language not differentiating between "sugar" and "candy" - always a source of confusion. Both are 糖 (táng),

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Chinese names given here and in the images are the names most used locally. They are all Mandarin Chinese, but it is still possible that other names may be used elsewhere in China. Certainly, non-Mandarin speaking areas will be different.

By the far the simplest way to get your sugar ration is to buy the unprocessed sugar cane. This is not usually available in supermarkets but is a street vendor speciality. In the countryside, you can buy it at the roadside. There are also people in markets etc with portable juice extractors who will sell you a cup of pure sugar cane juice.

I remember being baffled then amused when, soon after I first arrived in China, someone asked me if I wanted some 甘蔗 (gān zhè). It sounded exactly like 'ganja' or cannabis. No such luck! 甘蔗 (gān zhè) is 'sugar cane'.

The most common sugar in the supermarkets seems to be 冰糖 (bīng táng) which literally means 'ice 'sugar' and is what we tend to call 'rock sugar' or 'crystal sugar'. This highly refined sugar comes in various lump sizes although the price remains the same no matter if the pieces are large or small. Around ¥7/500g. That pictured below features the smaller end of the range.

Related to this is what is known as 冰片糖 (bīng piàn táng) which literally means "ice slice sugar". This is usually slightly less processed (although I have seen a white version, but not recently) and is usually a pale brown to yellow colour. This may be from unprocessed cane sugar extract, but is often white sugar coloured and flavoured with added molasses. It is also sometimes called 黄片糖  (huáng piàn táng) or "yellow slice sugar". ¥6.20/500g.

A less refined, much darker version is known as 红片糖 (hóng piàn táng), literally 'red slice sugar'. (Chinese seems to classify colours differently - what we know as 'black tea' is 'red tea' here. ¥7.20/500g.

Of course, what we probably think of as regular sugar, granulated sugar is also available. Known as 白砂糖 (bái shā táng), literally "white sand sugar', it is the cheapest at  ¥3.88/500g.

A brown powdered sugar is also common, but again, in Chinese, it isn't brown. It's red and simply known as 红糖 (hóng táng). ¥7.70/500g

Enough sweetness and light for now. More to come tomorrow.
    • By Dejah
      [Host's note: This topic forms part of an extended discussion which grew too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The conversation continues from here.]

Supper: Yeem Gok Gai:

Mock Fried Rice - grated cauliflower

Baby Shanghai Bok Choy and ginger

• By liuzhou
      eG member @Carolyn Phillips has just published her ten-year-long-gestated Chinese cook book, All Under Heaven. 500 pages on China's 35 cuisines. Gathering rave reviews. I've ordered my copy. Can't wait.

Simultaneously, her "Dim Sum Field Guide is published.

She hasn't posted much here recently, but who would or could while writing two books at the same time - one of them a huge tome?

Congratulations Carolyn.

• By liuzhou
      A few weeks ago I bought a copy of this cookbook which is a best-selling spin off from the highly successful television series by China Central Television - A Bite of China as discussed on this thread.   .

The book was published in August 2013 and is by Chen Zhitian (陈志田 - chén zhì tián). It is only available in Chinese (so far). 

There are a number of books related to the television series but this is the only one which seems to be legitimate. It certainly has the high production standards of the television show. Beautifully photographed and with (relatively) clear details in the recipes.

Here is a sample page.

Unlike in most western cookbooks, recipes are not listed by main ingredient. They are set out in six vaguely defined chapters. So, if you are looking for a duck dish, for example, you'll have to go through the whole contents list. I've never seen an index in any Chinese book on any subject. 

In order to demonstrate the breadth of recipes in the book and perhaps to be of interest to forum members who want to know what is in a popular Chinese recipe book, I have sort of translated the contents list - 187 recipes.

This is always problematic. Very often Chinese dishes are very cryptically named. This list contains some literal translations. For some dishes I have totally ignored the given name and given a brief description instead. Any Chinese in the list refers to place names. Some dishes I have left with literal translations of their cryptic names, just for amusement value.

I am not happy with some of the "translations" and will work on improving them. I am also certain there are errors in there, too.

Back in 2008, the Chinese government issued a list of official dish translations for the Beijing Olympics. It is full of weird translations and total errors, too. Interestingly, few of the dishes in the book are on that list.

Anyway, for what it is worth, the book's content list is here (Word document) or here (PDF file). If anyone is interested in more information on a dish, please ask. For copyright reasons, I can't reproduce the dishes here exactly, but can certainly describe them.

Another problem is that many Chinese recipes are vague in the extreme. I'm not one to slavishly follow instructions, but saying "enough meat" in a recipe is not very helpful. This book gives details (by weight) for the main ingredients, but goes vague on most  condiments.

For example, the first dish (Dezhou Braised Chicken), calls for precisely 1500g of chicken, 50g dried mushroom, 20g sliced ginger and 10g of scallion. It then lists cassia bark, caoguo, unspecified herbs, Chinese cardamom, fennel seed, star anise, salt, sodium bicarbonate and cooking wine without suggesting any quantities. It then goes back to ask for 35g of maltose syrup, a soupçon of cloves, and "the correct quantity" of soy sauce.

Cooking instructions can be equally vague. "Cook until cooked".

A Bite of China - 舌尖上的中国- ISBN 978-7-5113-3940-9 
    • By liuzhou
      Introduction

I spent the weekend in western Hunan reuniting with 36 people I worked with for two years starting 20 years ago. All but one, 龙丽花 lóng lì huā, I hadn’t seen for 17 years.  I last saw her ten years ago. One other, 舒晶 shū jīng, with whom I have kept constant contact but not actually seen, helped me organise the visit in secret. No one else knew I was coming. In fact, I had told Long Lihua that I couldn’t come. Most didn’t even know I am still in China.

I arrived at my local station around 00:20 in order to catch the 1:00 train northwards travelling overnight to Hunan, with an advertised arrival time of 9:15 am. Shu Jing was to meet me.

When I arrived at the station, armed with my sleeper ticket, I found that the train was running 5 hours late! Station staff advised that I change my ticket for a different train, which I did. The problem was that there were no sleeper tickets available on the new train. All I could get was a seat. I had no choice, really. They refunded the difference and gave me my new ticket.

The second train was only 1½ hours late, then I had a miserable night, unable to sleep and very uncomfortable. Somehow the train managed to make up for the late start and we arrived on time. I was met as planned and we hopped into a taxi to the hotel where I was to stay and where the reunion was to take place.

They had set up a reception desk in the hotel lobby and around half of the people I had come to see were there. When I walked in there was this moment of confusion, stunned silence, then the friend I had lied to about not coming ran towards me and threw herself into my arms with tears running down her face and across her smile. It was the best welcome I’ve ever had. Then the others also welcomed me less physically, but no less warmly. They were around 20 years old when I met them; now they are verging on, or already are, 40, though few of them look it. Long Lihua is the one on the far right.

Throughout the morning people arrived in trickles as their trains or buses got in from all over China. One woman had come all the way from the USA. We sat around chatting, reminiscing and eating water melon until finally it was time for lunch.

Lunch we had in the hotel dining room. By that time, the group had swelled to enough to require three banqueting tables.

Western Hunan, known as 湘西 xiāng xī, where I was and where I lived for two years - twenty years ago, is a wild mountainous area full of rivers. It was one of the last areas “liberated” by Mao’s communists and was largely lawless until relatively recently. It has spectacular scenery.

Hunan is known for its spicy food, but Xiangxi is the hottest. I always know when I am back in Hunan. I just look out the train window and see every flat surface covered in chilis drying in the sun. Station platforms, school playgrounds, the main road from the village to the nearest town are all strewn with chillis.

The people there consider Sichuan to be full of chilli wimps. I love it. When I left Hunan I missed the food so much. So I was looking forward to this. It did not disappoint.

So Saturday lunch in next post.