• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boiled peanuts

Soup

yes, you can make boiled peanuts from raw, shelled peanuts, but depending on individual preferences, it may not be exactly the same as boiled shell on peanuts.

Raw shelled peanuts are commonly available in chinese/asian grocery stores. There are usually 2 kinds, one with the brownish skin (testa ?) still attached, and the other that is whitish as the skin has been removed. I dont know what process is involved in removing the skin, but i find that the skinless white ones are mealy when cooked, but not so with the skin ons.

Those with skin-on will impart a brownish color and astringency that some may find undesirable in a soup or stew, in which case i will soak them in several changes of water, and/or rub the skin off from as many as i have the patience for it.

Some chinese restaurants will serve boiled peanuts, with skin on, as a free appetiser. They are usually boiled with star anise, cinnamon, sugar and salt. I include peanuts in my soups, eg in Lotus root soup, with pork ribs, Goji berries, chinese red dates, etc

It's dangerous to eat, it's more dangerous to live.

I'm in southern California and the local Walmart just began carrying CANNED boiled peanuts and several other "southern" items that have been impossible to find before this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett