• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide Picanha beef

TdeV

I've got 3 lbs of Picanha beef and I'm wondering what to do with it.

Wikipedia says "Picanha is a cut of beef popular in Brazil. In the U.S. it is little known, but referred to as the rump cover or rump cap. North American butchers generally divide it into other cuts like the rump, the round and the loin. However, due to different breeds produced in the U.S., in some places it is named as "top sirloin cap" ".

Time? Temp?

Edited by TdeV (log)

Is it a 3lb chunk? If so for med rare i would go 135F for 16 hours. Would give you something the texture of deli style med rare roast beef. Slice thinly and you can use it for open face roast beef, hot roast beef sandwiches like Arbys but 10x better, or chicago beef sammichez.

Almost forgot french dip sandwiches with some swiss cheese and johnnys au jus.

Edited by FeChef (log)

I sous vide most of my proteins - but picanha I tend to bend on a skewer, sprinkle with coarse salt and cook on the Big Green Egg as is - without sous viding.

If I were going to sous vide - then I'd treat it much as I would sirloin - 2 hours at 54 or 55, then coarse salt and a really hot grill to get the fat crisped up.