• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whence Jerusalem Artichokes?

JoNorvelleWalker

Melissa's Produce sells to many major markets. There is a store locator on their site. They call them sunchokes. http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/sunflower-chokes.aspx Find a store that uses the company and ask the produce manager if he can get them for you - a route you might take.

Melissa says they are not in season. I guess I was wrong. Any suggestions for substitutions in the Ottolenghi recipe?

Not in season for Melissa, but peak season for any place that grows them for which it is now autumn. Here in northern Italy, as far south as North Carolina. I understand that may not help your situation! Also, I have not looked at the cookbook, but I am not sure why you would want to cook potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes together. It wouldn't hurt the former, I suppose, but it would be a waste of the latter. Kinda like cooking turnips and rutabagas together. Jerusalem artichokes are a great, low-carb SUBSTITUTE for potatoes. Good raw in a jicama way, but off the charts baked in an au gratin or scalloped recipe. I slice them and bake them in butter, cream and parmigiano...

• Like 1

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

One other thing...in the future, you may want to grow your own. The tubers multiply like weeds, and the sunflowers, while tiny and a little brownish compared to typical sunflowers, are pretty. I planted a row a few years back and have about a thousand right now!

The thought had crossed my mind...however I live in an apartment, and the only garden is my balcony. Given the choice between Jerusalem artichokes and fresh tomatoes, I think I'll stick with tomatoes.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

One other thing...in the future, you may want to grow your own. The tubers multiply like weeds, and the sunflowers, while tiny and a little brownish compared to typical sunflowers, are pretty. I planted a row a few years back and have about a thousand right now!

The thought had crossed my mind...however I live in an apartment, and the only garden is my balcony. Given the choice between Jerusalem artichokes and fresh tomatoes, I think I'll stick with tomatoes.

Go with the tomatoes!

• Like 1

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com