• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whence Jerusalem Artichokes?

JoNorvelleWalker

I've been reading the new North American edition of Ottolenghi The Cookbook, in which there is a recipe for Roast potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes with lemons and sage. This sounded pretty good to me. From the ingredients almost perfect: I have sage, lemons, garlic, olives, lots of small tomatoes. Potatoes and parsley are easy enough to find.

I set off yesterday to my local market, Shoprite, and asked someone in the produce section for Jerusalem Artichokes. He quickly handed me off to someone else. I knew it was not a good omen that she thought I was saying: "loose artichokes". I explained that Jerusalem Artichokes were a tuber of the sunflower family, native to North America, also known as sunchokes, that looked similar to ginger -- pointing to the bin of ginger root. If I am not mistaken this is the proper season. Blank stare of non-recognition.

What am I doing wrong? How should one ask for these things at the market?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Melissa's Produce sells to many major markets. There is a store locator on their site. They call them sunchokes. http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/sunflower-chokes.aspx Find a store that uses the company and ask the produce manager if he can get them for you - a route you might take.

Melissa's Produce sells to many major markets. There is a store locator on their site. They call them sunchokes. http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/sunflower-chokes.aspx Find a store that uses the company and ask the produce manager if he can get them for you - a route you might take.

Melissa says they are not in season. I guess I was wrong. Any suggestions for substitutions in the Ottolenghi recipe?

What would you think of sweet potato?

Oh no

That's too bad. I even have a sweet potato to use up. What about just substituting with a few more white potatoes?

Er, I'd just use potatoes. Maybe, I guess, you could angle for something with a robust, earthy flavour. Ideally with a waxy texture. You might even want to try a couple of different kinds to provide the variety pack quality that Yotam was aiming for. Won't be the same ... but it's not like turnips or sweet potatoes or whatever else are that close to Jerusalem artichokes in terms of flavour, either. And we know you can get them.

Of course, a case could be made for parnsips. Different, yeah, but there's that sweetness to them that J.Chokes have but potatoes lack. Roots for thought.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

With all respect, I meant substitute with something I might find at my local Shoprite in New Jersey.

Is there a larger Shoprite or other supermarket not too far from you? I've seen Jerusalem artichokes at the Shoprite where my sister shops, so it isn't as though Shoprite simply does not carry them; I've also seen them at Whole Foods and various farmer's markets.

I'm also not getting the 'out-of-season thing'; these are tubers, they keep for months under the right conditions (cool, dry, dark) and everyone I know who grows them generally has enough to see them through February.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I seem to remember that for many people, they have problems digesting J. artichokes. Perhaps that is the problem?

J. artichokes used to be sold everywhere, and they are very easy to grow, but no more to be found any where for many years.

dcarch

According to Cook's Thesaurus, substitutes can be artichoke hearts - less crunchy, but their flavor is somewhat similar OR potatoes, which are a good substitute if the recipe calls for the Jerusalem artichokes to be baked. Water chestnuts have a similar texture to Jerusalem artichokes OR jicama, which is less expensive than Jerusalem artichokes. Jicama has a similar texture, but the flavor is completely different.

... Shel

Do you have access to a coop or a farmer's market? I have been getting them right now at both places. They are delicious scrubbed and thinly sliced and then roasted in a hot oven after being tossed with olive oil.

Kay

"-------According to Cook's Thesaurus, substitutes can be artichoke hearts ----"

I find that very hard to believe, especially coming from Cook's Thesaurus. Artichoke hearts has not a thing in common with J. artichokes.

It like saying ananas is a good substitute for bananas, they kind of sound alike.

dcarch

"-------According to Cook's Thesaurus, substitutes can be artichoke hearts ----"

I find that very hard to believe, especially coming from Cook's Thesaurus. Artichoke hearts has not a thing in common with J. artichokes.

Well, I was somewhat dubious, but thought I'd post it anyway. After all, some of this is just opinion, and, depending on what is being prepared, something like artichoke hearts may work ...

... Shel

I LOVE Jerusalem artichokes. I bought about 3 lbs last week at the farmers market, ate them all, and then even more this week. I made roasted Brussels sprouts and J artichokes (with bacon) to serve with roasted chicken (cooked at 700 F on a BGE) for dinner tonight. I'll eat them all this week.

J artichokes are one of the best sources of inulin, a fiber that is a great prebiotic for the large intestine. Until one gets used to eating inulin, it'll make one explosively farty. Comically, sometimes without warning. Great health benefits though.

IMO, the substitutes listed above capture only part of the J artichoke taste and texture (none the inulin). They come out in Spring and Fall, and this is the perfect season in the Atlantic region. I only see them at farmers markets. Although they are tubers, they do not seem to age as well as others. I wish I could say how long they last in the fridge, but we eat them before it's an issue.

• Like 1