• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking in the fireplace

Franci

We have a small fireplace

We are thinking of cooking simple meals in it when it's going to be very cold outside.

Which tools you suggest? I was thinking of a Tuscan grill or a small yakitori grill to place inside. Or simply coals and a cast iron skillet.

image.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

At one point, I did quite a bit of cooking in the fireplace. We had a hook that swung into it, and we could hang a pot on it. It would probably be pretty difficult for you to install a swinging hook, but there are tripod things with hooks for just that purpose.

Also, we had a basket-type gizmo for toasting chestnuts, etc, that I used for a great many things.

Amazon link - roaster

But the first thing I'd recommend you get is an authentic "Dutch oven," the sort that was actually used as an oven in fireplaces, and in open campfires.

It's got legs that you can sit right in the coals. And a flat top, so you can pile more coals on top and, indeed, use it just like an oven - bake breads, cakes, etc.

As well as the more obvious stews, soups, etc. You also can flip that flat top over and use it like a skillet or griddle.

Amazon Link

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We cooked in a fireplace all winter long when I was growing up.

The Tuscan grill, Dutch oven and the popcorn basket are all good to have.

We also used pie irons very frequently.

There are many things that can be prepared with a pie iron and the like.

Mountain pies and stuffed French toast were big favorites.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

We have a big old house with a kitchen fireplace that we cook in occasionally. The big trick is regulating the heat, usually by varying the distance from the flame. In a small FP this could be tough, esp if you don't have a big supply of small sticks to add to keep a fire at a certain intensity. I would probably have a trio of large-ish split firewood burning and a rack to support a dutch oven or cast iron pan about 2" above the wood. Heat intensity can be varied to a degree by adjusting the proximity of the logs.

Walter Staib, who runs a colonial restaurant in Philadelphia has a weekly TV show on PBS that is all about cooking on a wood fire. I'd check it out on Hulu for tips. Cool show.

• Like 2

I thought about the Tuscan grill for our apartment in DC, which has a small wood-burning fireplace.

Then I decided that it would make such a bloody mess that it would be aggravating.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I had to cook in our fireplace a few winters back when ice storms took out our electricity for two weeks. I have a large set of cast iron cookware, such as Jaymes described and used it for stews, bread and a cast iron kettle for coffee and tea. It was an adventure and not one I care to repeat anytime soon.

• Like 1

I had to cook in our fireplace a few winters back when ice storms took out our electricity for two weeks. I have a large set of cast iron cookware, such as Jaymes described and used it for stews, bread and a cast iron kettle for coffee and tea. It was an adventure and not one I care to repeat anytime soon.

We were living only a few miles down the highway from you when that ice storm hit and we, too, were forced to cook in our fireplace for a couple of weeks.

Funny what a difference it makes when you're forced to do it because you have no electricity anywhere else in the house.

As opposed to doing it because it's kind of an occasional fun thing.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have a strong memory of my parents cooking dinner over the fire in a Scottish winter. I don't think it was lack of power that prompted it. More likely lack of money to heat the house and cook.

Yes, we had the hook (where the kettle lived) and a sort of grill rack.

I'm sure it's probably rose tinted sentimentality, but somehow, it seems the food tasted better.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

.....it seems the food tasted better.

I also think that the food tastes better.....we had a fireplace and a wood-burning cookstove when I was growing up.

I also had a wood burning cookstove and a scratch-made wood-fired earthen oven when I lived off-grid for many years.

I very much miss it all and I'll return to it some day.

A fireplace rotisserie is another great device to have.

There's also the low-tech version which I like...it's simply spinning various morsels on a string (wet the string to keep it from burning.)

Here's a video on YouTube (not mine).........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dSxB6RgiFs

Jean-Louis Palladin roasts magret on a string.

From Julia Child's show "Cooking with Master Chefs."

Starting at about 19:40....

http://video.pbs.org/video/2256986761/

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A cast iron dutch oven with feet (a "spider") or a grate to elevate a non-cast-iron pot would be helpful. Lodge makes a cast iron dutch oven whose lid has a raised rim, which allows you to put coals directly atop the lid so you can get oven-like heat inside the pot. Such a pot makes it easy to bake biscuits, cornbread, etc. William Rubel's "The Magic of Fire" has many recipes and tips for hearth cooking: http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-Fire-Fireplace-Campfire/dp/1580084532/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382976150&sr=8-2&keywords=open+hearth+cooking

One thing I would think about is your fireplace's depth: if it is a relatively shallow hearth, you want to protect nearby floor & mantle from grease and spatters. Maybe some aluminum foil tacked or taped to sensitive areas? I'd hate to scrub greasy spatters out of a lovely carved white marble mantlepiece.

• Like 1

Franci - I see you are in Monaco, but don't know if you are a Monegasque or an American ex-pat (among many possibilities), so don't know if you are familiar with the quintessential American "cooking over fire" dessert: S'mores.

Even when we're not doing a lot of cooking in our fireplace, making S'mores is a common winter treat for all the kids and grandkids.

If you are an American, I have no doubt you're more than familiar with them, so forgive me for stating the obvious. But if you are European, there's a chance you don't know about them.

I know there are places on this planet where you can't get graham crackers but, if Monaco is one such, you can make them, or substitute some other kind of cookie. We've done it with oatmeal cookies to grand acclaim.

It might be a good place to begin your fireplace cooking experiments:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-S%27more

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

Be careful how you cook your food using a fireplace. You have to know where you wood is from. Many wood come from places where they use a lot of chemical sprays.

Roasting in front of a fireplace is done all by infrared radiation and it can take many hours depending on what is being roasted. I would think if you use shiny aluminum foil on a board to serve as a reflector, you can get much better roasting and faster. Aluminum reflects 95% of radiation.

dcarch

• Like 1

Dcarch, very good point about the wood!

Jaymes, I realized I didn't update my profile, I've recently moved to the States. I lived here in the past but being European I've never had a S'more. I never liked marshmallows but Maybe it's an experience I should not miss.

And I'm thinking of a few things I'd love to cook in the fireplace

http://www.gennarino.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3958&highlight=capuzzelle

It's a friend posting on an Italian forum. I would like to find a similar "brazier" to use with terra cotta cazuelas and tagines.

In the picture of the link posted there is also an earth ware jar, that is traditionally used for cooking legumes in the fireplace.

Jaymes, I realized I didn't update my profile, I've recently moved to the States. I lived here in the past but being European I've never had a S'more. I never liked marshmallows but Maybe it's an experience I should not miss.

Well, I think it's an experience you should not miss. If for no other reason than it's so universally American. And, when in Rome......

As for the marshmallow thing - the chocolate and graham cracker taste definitely combine with the marshmallow to become the strongest part of the flavor profile.

I'm not that wild about marshmallows by themselves.

But I sure do love me some S'mores!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, Francie:

Your fireplace looks perfect for a tournebroche with a lechefrite under it, like this: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/LECHEFRITE-CUIVRE-ETAME-63-X-31-5CM-LECHE-FRITE-POUR-TOURNE-BROCHE-PLAT-A-JUS-/221335087311?pt=FR_JG_Art_Objets_XIX&hash=item33889968cf You will need a second grate--you stand them on edge several inches apart, and fill the space between them with burning pieces of wood.

If your hearth is deep or wide enough, a Tuscan grill or a "camp" Dutch oven work well-- you must rake/scoop the coals out of an active fire to use them effectively.

Have Fun!

Edited by boilsover (log)