• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choose the crust for my rack of lamb

Steve Plotnicki

After last New Years when the kitchen brigade slaved on Lucas-Carton's Canard Apicius, the powers that be decided they wanted to take it easy this year and they decided to make racks of lamb. For the last week or so they have been nudging me to come up with ways to coat them. After striking out at coming up with something interesting, it occured to me to open the question to the board. So, what do you think we should crust our racks of lamb with this New Years Eve? We are going with two different versions so each person (there will be 6 of us) will get two chops of each.

Edited by Steve Plotnicki (log)

Cut rings of pineapple. Put a marachino cherry in each. Affix to lamb with clove spikes.

(Personally, I'd just have one with just a bit of salt and pepper. Simple, but damned good.)

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Cut rings of pineapple.  Put a marachino cherry in each.  Affix to lamb with clove spikes.

(Personally, I'd just have one with just a bit of salt and pepper.  Simple, but damned good.)

:shock: Really?

Which? S&P? Yes. Just the glory of the meat and the meat in all it's glory.

Wind them about with spaghetti.

Seriously, chipotle and cumin on one, lemon and garlic on the other, the last to have minced mint and vinegar with Evoo drizzled over while its resting.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cut rings of pineapple.  Put a marachino cherry in each.  Affix to lamb with clove spikes.

(Personally, I'd just have one with just a bit of salt and pepper.  Simple, but damned good.)

:shock: Really?

Which? S&P? Yes. Just the glory of the meat and the meat in all it's glory.

DSTONE - you edited your post when I was typing my bit. I was saying "really?" to the pineapple thing.

I couldn't agree more with the salt and pepper idea. :smile:

Everyone got a double chop from a rack that was coated in cornmeal, dijon mustard and rosemary, and one from a rack that was coated with honey, dijon mustard, garlic and crushed pistachios. The pistachio crusted one seemed to be the overwhelmoing favorite though I preferred the cornmeal. Though I must say they were both delicious. We drank a 1968 Castillo Ygay Rioja Gran Reserva with them that was terrific.