• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting out Grease Stains (Help)

Paul Bacino

I find that when I cook on Sat and Sunday's-- I always end up with a grease stain of some sort--on sweat shirts , tee shirts or pants.

Not sure, could be animal fats, olive oils or any other cooking type oil

Thoughts on getting the stains out?

TIA Paul

Its good to have Morels

I somewhat agree with the above. Use a good quality dish detergent, or perhaps Tide, rub it into the stain well (and I do mean well!), and let it sit a day or so before washing in HOT water. It's never failed me. Also, apply the detergent quickly - you don't want the grease to set.

Another trick that works well is to wear an apron. A good, heavy apron works very well. A friend made one for me out of heavy denim for my birthday in 1979. It's still serving me well, and it's afforded plenty of protection over the years.

... Shel

I blot out as much grease as possible, and sprinkle talc on the spot(s). I pat it in, add more, pat that in, smack the layer off from the un-talced side, do this again, then a third time before laundering. This tends to remove a lot of the grease, and is less likely to leave a discoloured spot than spot-treating with detergent. Mostly, though, i try to wear clothing that doesn't show grease stains, even when I don't get on them immediately.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Mostly, though, i try to wear clothing that doesn't show grease stains, even when I don't get on them immediately.

For when I do my renaissance faire cooking I gave up on trying to deals with stains. I have a tub in the garage full of "faire" shirts, old shirts that already are stained and I wear those while cooking. Then if I splash bleach or grease on them I don't care.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

One of the spray on laundry additives make a spot remover especially for grease stains. It's a bit of a PITA, since you put it on about 10 minutes before you put the thing in the washer, then it has to sit for a few minutes, but if you don't have a washer at home, the "sit" phase can happen in the car on the way to the laundrette.

Before all the fancy stuff came out, I used to add a shot of powdered Spic & Span to the soap in the washer. Worked pretty well, IIRC!

Oh, yeah, Oxyclean does a pretty good job, too.

ETA Oxyclean.

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Just moving from Europe, I found out that my clothes stay stained when washed, there I used Vanish spray just before uploading my laundry machine and no grease stain at all. Here I triedOxyclean in the machine it works a bit but never like the Vanish spray. I just saw it on Amazon and I MUST buy it!