• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can Better Chocolate be Made by Blending?

gurlPatis

I don't have the more expensive, fancy chocolate but, I do have different varieties of Merckens, Peter's and Wilbur that I bought really cheap, like $20 for 10lb. Does anybody have any experience blending them for either enrobing or for making frostings to make a tastier chocolate? Like using mixing Merckens Marquis with Peter's Ultra. I would appreciate a template to go by which would alleviate some of the headache of testing myself.

does anyone know how to make chocolate cake with milk chocolate? how to replace dark unsweetened with milk chocolate? help, thanks.

Blending chocolate won't necessarily improve it for certain tasks. Couverture is created especially for enrobing and molding. The split is balanced for those tasks and the cocoa mass is ground very finely. Unless you know the split for all of you chocolates, blending them is risky, and, if any of them are labelled a couverture they are already generally quite good.

Frosting is far more forgiving a use for chocolate, you'll still have to run tests.

Cake with milk chocolate can be done, but, I can't find any good formulas that use weight measurement for the dry ingredients.