• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a type of Danish pastry recipe

Simon Bellenie

Hi all - been following the forum for a while, and joined today as I could think of no better place to ask my question ...

I have been trying to find a recipe for a while, but have run out of places to turn.

I am looking for a particular type of danish pastry recipe ... for want of a better description. For those in the UK it used to be sold in one of the supermarket instore bakeries, and can still be found in high street ones, but I cannot nail it down online.

The "pastry" in question is more bread-like in texture, and filled with apple - unfortunately all I can find are recipes for laminated doughs, with varying degrees of flakiness. The closest i have found online so far is this almond-filled pastry, which seems to be a combination of pastry and choux.

http://www.food.com/recipe/almond-danish-puff-146750

Any ideas will be welcome, as this search is driving me mad :)

thanks

sure...

i think it was from tesco, and was some sort of sweet dough, though not as "cakey" as a brioche.

the filling was a fairly standard sweet apple filling - as you would get most apple breakfast pastries.

Shape-wise it was rectangular, with the filling enclosed, a white sugar glaze (again, as for most similar pastries), with flaked almonds on top.

So, basically I am wondering which doughs people could recommend - sweet, not as cakey as a brioche (not sure of the technical way to put this), but also more moist than brioche.

Thanks

(PS - as a new member, i cannot post again for 24 hours, so bear with me :smile: )

• Like 1

I think this is the type of Danish YEAST dough you want. When baked plain it is similar but a bit more moist and not as "cakelike" as brioche.

It is sturdy enough to handle being loaded with fruit and does not get tough with handling.

It does take some time because you do have to chill it between folding operations and I cut the FOLDING AND ROLLING business in half with no problems.

Meaning that I only do half the folding operations called for in this recipe.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Is it a yum-yum? You can get them from Waitrose, apparently.

Yum-yums are similar to the cronut - deep fried donut dough, but thanks for looking

I think this is the type of Danish YEAST dough you want. When baked plain it is similar but a bit more moist and not as "cakelike" as brioche.

It is sturdy enough to handle being loaded with fruit and does not get tough with handling.

It does take some time because you do have to chill it between folding operations and I cut the FOLDING AND ROLLING business in half with no problems.

Thanks for the suggestion - by "plain", do you mean with no folds at all?

From the same page, http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Danish-Pastry-Apple-Bars-II/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes LOOKS to have the same sort of structure though.

I had a read through Rose Beranbaum's Bread Bible last night, and from her description, it would be pretty close to her Monkey Bread dough inasmuch as it is "akin to sticky buns"... so might well take that as my next attempt.

• Like 1

Is it a yum-yum? You can get them from Waitrose, apparently.

Yum-yums are similar to the cronut - deep fried donut dough, but thanks for looking

Thanks for the suggestion - by "plain", do you mean with no folds at all?

From the same page, http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Danish-Pastry-Apple-Bars-II/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes LOOKS to have the same sort of structure though.

I had a read through Rose Beranbaum's Bread Bible last night, and from her description, it would be pretty close to her Monkey Bread dough inasmuch as it is "akin to sticky buns"... so might well take that as my next attempt.

I meant when it is baked without fruit or other fillings.

I also use this with a meat and veg filling, in a roll that can be cut in slices after baking.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

Are you looking for an actual danish dough? Beatrice Ojakangas makes a great one. It's been quite some time since you asked and if you haven't found what you need that may be the trick. I have a multitude of scandinavian baking books. Check out the great scandinavian baking book.