• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Day of the Dead

heidih

I'm so glad to see this topic come back to life! (Sorry, I couldn't resist the theme. I know you've both been busy.)

I'm very taken with the imagery of a beating masa by hand until fluffy and light. Strength, indeed! I have to resort to electricity to whip cream, for heaven's sake, much less masa. The corundas sound tasty. Thanks to Heidi for adding a video,

I'm still eager to hear more, after y'all catch your breath! Like Nancy in Mexico, I want to know why it's called difuntos in Ecuador.

Anything else you can add will be welcome. If it isn't too far off-topic, I'd like to know whether people *feel* the presence of loved ones' returns, or simply try to recognize that they might be there? The flowers and recognition of babies lost particularly haunts me. I hope the parents find some comfort.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 5 years later...

6 years later... but this is a big deal in Los Angeles  - my bestie Robert Vinson  "compassionate guardian" of El Pueblo de Los Angeles.  https://www.olveraevents.com/day-of-the-dead-olvera-street    Prior topics   We mkksty jusy do foods that remnd us lf the best parts of a lost one. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It is short of a month away but I hope we may see some local input from our members south of the border.  Always a big deal in Los Angeles and I know Covid will restrict gatherings but I love to hear the traditions both ancient and newly massaged.