• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What the Heck is a Broaster?

weinoo

Over in the Dinner topic, I posted about quail I made the other night, which were broiled and then left in the oven to finish cooking via roasting. I called them broasted quail. Little did I know that there evidently is Broaster Company, and "broasted foods" and "broaster" are trademark terms.

Did you know this:

“Broasting” – a revolutionary method of preparing chicken, meats, and fish by combining pressure cooking and deep frying concepts, is introduced by Flavor Fast Foods, Inc., in Rockton, Illinois.

Yikes.

Has anyone ever eaten something that was actually from the Broaster Company?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Broasted Chicken (done in actual Broaster cookers) is extremely popular in Ecuador. Consequently, I eat it fairly frequently. The defining feature is crispiness in the skin coupled with a roasted flavour in the meat, and as rotuts mentions, not all that greasy.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

There is a broaster franchise where I live. Not quite as good as KFC from decades ago, no secret spice recipe, but exceptionally juicy w. good breading. The shop used to have a link to the hardware vendor. Appeared to be an automated pressure frier, if I recall correctly.

I remember loving it back in my California childhood. Although it never measured up to my mother's fried chicken, it was a good sight better than the Kentucky Fried alternative. This summer I was "treated" to "the best fried chicken in Fresno!" per my cousin. It reminded me a lot of broasted chicken, but I was underwhelmed. A couple of the Duluth grocery delis do a much better job.

When Broasted Chicken first hit the stage in our central California town, our family decided that the name came from a combination of 'broil' and 'roast'. Now it seems that linguistics would be the only reason to think so.

Edited for spelling, although "good sigh" instead of "good sight" wasn't bad in its own right.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Broasting doesn't really involve "roasting". It's actually a combination of pressure cooking and deep frying. At least that's the method Harlan Sanders used to launch his KFC empire.

Legally, it's not supposed to be called broasting unless an actual Broaster® is used. It's not for the home cook, to say the least.

My mom drools like a Pavlovian dog if we mention the broasted chicken at the Jimmy's restaurant in Santee, CA. :laugh: It's her favorite place to get broasted chicken.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver