• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decent sink drain stoppers...a fool's quest??

Pierogi

this one?

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Bumping this up for possibly newer advice.  I'm tired of using this unreliable stopper in my sink:

IMG_7839.thumb.jpg.fec1a14cb01e792de96be38409cb14df.jpg

I lost 2 full sinksful of water trying to wash my collard greens.  The first sinkful was fine but subsequent two just leaked out.  Can anyone suggest a better one?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I may be missing something, but why not use a bowl?

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I have tried that, actually.  But I guess my sink isn't smooth enough?  Or the water and what is soaking moves it slightly?  But the leak still happens.

I may be completely off-base but I thought @JoNorvelleWalker was suggesting washing greens in a bowl rather than the sink.  For salads, I use the bowl from the salad spinner.  For larger amounts, I might use a stock-pot or a larger tub. I do this because it often takes less water than filling up the whole sink and it's easier for me to dump the water on outdoor plants. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 2

Not what you are looking for as I've never filled my sink. Only by accident. Or once or twice when I need to soak something overnight---I grab one of these...

I use the Ikea rinsing tubs and strainers. I have two sets. Our kitchen sink is central to the home and having the sink bowl used for veg and fruit cleaning is out of the question. I can rinse, drain, and set aside to dry. If still in the sink I have access to the faucet for hand washing etc. No way am i going to sterilize the sink every time I get a veg delivery. We do a quick barKeep and rinse with the boiling kettle water every morning while making coffee. Deep clean once a week. The Ikea inserts go in the dishwasher. 

IMG_2142.jpeg

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I have tried that, actually.  But I guess my sink isn't smooth enough?  Or the water and what is soaking moves it slightly?  But the leak still happens.

I meant put a bowl in the sink and fill the bowl with water.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We don't have water issues in NY but the beach house is often drought low-level. We have to be very careful and no dishwasher. 😬

Fine for the two of us but American friends and family houseguests that try and help in the kitchen or shower are impossible to train. Flush-if-you-must dealio.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I may be completely off-base but I thought @JoNorvelleWalker was suggesting washing greens in a bowl rather than the sink.  For salads, I use the bowl from the salad spinner.  For larger amounts, I might use a stock-pot or a larger tub. I do this because it often takes less water than filling up the whole sink and it's easier for me to dump the water on outdoor plants. 

Yes for washing greens i use my big ancient stainless bowl and then carry water out to plants (California drought). I am no clean freak but I find it mentally more sanitary.  I used to call it my placenta catcher cuz it reminds me of a surgery room bowl - freaked my ex out. ;) 

bowl (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I meant put a bowl in the sink and fill the bowl with water.

Ah.  I'd really rather use the sink.  It is the right height.  My biggest bowl is what I'd need for most greens soaks and it wouldn't fit into the sink.  

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

Not what you are looking for as I've never filled my sink. Only by accident. Or once or twice when I need to soak something overnight---I grab one of these...

I use the Ikea rinsing tubs and strainers. I have two sets. Our kitchen sink is central to the home and having the sink bowl used for veg and fruit cleaning is out of the question. I can rinse, drain, and set aside to dry. If still in the sink I have access to the faucet for hand washing etc. No way am i going to sterilize the sink every time I get a veg delivery. We do a quick barKeep and rinse with the boiling kettle water every morning while making coffee. Deep clean once a week. The Ikea inserts go in the dishwasher. 

IMG_2142.jpeg

Are those the silicone lids?  I saw this picture and realized that I got a set of those for Xmas and that the smallest one fits just right.  Problem solved!  Thank you!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Ah.  I'd really rather use the sink.  It is the right height.  My biggest bowl is what I'd need for most greens soaks and it wouldn't fit into the sink.  

Are those the silicone lids?  I saw this picture and realized that I got a set of those for Xmas and that the smallest one fits just right.  Problem solved!  Thank you!!!!

My thirteen quart Vollrath just fits my sink.  I'd think thirteen quarts would be sufficient to lave most shrubbery unless you were preparing kudzu.

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Glad the problem's solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

You could try to use a rectangular  cambro instead of a round bowl. Kitchen sinks don’t have overflow drains like bathroom sinks do so they’re not designed to seal well. 

Edited by Rickbern (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Can you source a tall filter plug used in commercial kitchens?  There's the small plastic bit that goes in first, then there's the tall plastic tube that goes in it that might secure the seal.  You probably wouldn't need the metal mesh tube part.  On the subject of that sort of plug, I came on here to ask if there was a source that explained the benefits and the use of such a plug.  I'm trying to convince people to get better use of ours.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:11 AM, Rickbern said:

You could try to use a rectangular  cambro instead of a round bowl. Kitchen sinks don’t have overflow drains like bathroom sinks do so they’re not designed to seal well. 

No, good strainers work well.  Replacements don't, because they have to fit any tailpiece, and they're all different.  Some designs, even from expensive brands are just crap, because consumers put up with crap, and make up excuses (like "there's no overflow, so of course they leak") for it, instead of properly throwing a fit that their $1000 sink doesn't hold water. 

I installed this strainer in my kitchen sink.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Duo-Strainer-Sink-Strainer-K-R8799-C-CP/100654123

note that it's a whole assembly, not just a basket strainer/stopper, but also the drain tailpiece.  It has an o-ring that does the sealing, against a slightly tapered seat, which takes up wear from the o-ring (which can be easily replaced).  They seal perfectly, and I expect them to continue doing so for quite some time, with suitable maintenance.

• Like 2