• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Double Confectionery Guitar

Stephanie Wallace

Does anyone have any experience with this guitar?

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the single and double frame models, and am wondering if...

1. The efficiency gains and damage reduction are really significant enough to make it worthwhile.

2. The change in pressure distribution caused by the additional slits causes more ganache to spread or fall into the cracks when cutting.

Note that I'll be using it primarily for ganache. I appreciate any thoughts/advice anyone can offer!

Formerly known as "Melange"

Seems like you'd have to be cutting an awful lot of ganache to make the double a big time saver, and if you were cutting that much ganache you'd want a bigger guitar. I have a single Dedy, and wouldn't say that picking the slab up and rotating it takes that much time or effort, but I usually only cut a few slabs at a time.

Is there a good place to look for stuff like this used or is eBay the only place? I actually found my fudge kettle on CraigsList via a google search but got really lucky. It was in Vermont she I'm in Florida so it was a bit of a drive to pick it up but for the savings it was very much worth it. I'm sure people upgrade to bigger guitars and such but no idea if there's a better place to find them when they go up for sale.

I'm thinking that mini guitars are pretty new and not too likely to be sold off unless someone gives up the business entirely. I think that they are used by people who do demos and such and don't want to cart a huge guitar along.

• 4 years later...
On 10/21/2013 at 3:06 PM, Jim D. said:

Stephanie,

I hope that if you end up purchasing this guitar, you will post your reaction to it here. I for one would be very interested in knowing how you like it.

Well, 5 years on, I can say I'm quite happy with the guitar, though I'd really like a guitar with 5mm spacing as well to increase the number of possible dimensions. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

• Like 1

Formerly known as "Melange"