• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-instant couscous - where to get it?

Hassouni

I don't know that the title needs further explanation, but where the hell do I buy the old-fashioned, 3-steamings and it's done couscous from? Even the bulk stuff at Whole Foods is of the quick-cook variety.

I am no couscous expert but Paula Wolfert's three steamings with milk recipe works well for me using regular supermarket couscous that comes with an instant recipe on the label.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

As far as I understand, the dried couscous that you buy at the market is all basically the same. The difference is in the cooking method. You can let it hydrate for 5 mins, then serve. Or you can steam it multiple times for a lighter version. The more times you steam it, the fluffier it becomes.

You can also do a fresh version of couscous, or hand-rolled couscous, which has the qualities of fresh pasta. There's a recipe for hand-rolled couscous on Paula Wolfert's website.

I much prefer the multiple steaming method myself. I use water, though, not milk. BTW, in the step between steamings where you lay out the couscous in a shallow pan and sprinkle it with water, you can mix in the water and keep the couscous granules separate by gently stirring and moving the couscous with a whisk. Paula Wolfert showed us that tip in one of her cooking classes. Very handy to keep the couscous from clumping!

I've come across the "pre-cooked" description also, and I don't know what it means. I make steamed couscous with the bulk stuff at Whole Foods. I know others who use the steaming method with the couscous from a box, and the steaming method works regardless.

I buy it at the local middle eastern market. I soak it in cold water, drain, steam allow to sit, toss and steam again.

It is definitely not instant.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've come across the "pre-cooked" description also, and I don't know what it means. I make steamed couscous with the bulk stuff at Whole Foods. I know others who use the steaming method with the couscous from a box, and the steaming method works regardless.

I'll have to give this a try. What do you use? I think the holes in my Chinese metal steamer are too large....

For couscous I use a beautiful old Cuisinart chicken steamer that I never seem to use for steaming chickens. The holes are small enough that chickens do not fall through.

Since the couscous is thoroughly moistened before steaming relatively large holes in the steamer should not be a problem. If it is, you could use cheese cloth.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'll have to give this a try. What do you use? I think the holes in my Chinese metal steamer are too large....

I use something like this, a shallow steamer insert over a deep pot:

_mkwid_HseEL4ua'>http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/all-clad-stainless-steel-covered-casserole-25-qt-with-steamer?ID=571003&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Coop_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Cookware+Coop_PLA+-+Cookware+-+AllClad-_-26742348537_-_-_mkwid_HseEL4ua

Don't worry too much about the size of the holes in the steamer. As long as the water is boiling, the pressure from the steam will keep the couscous from falling through the holes.

Awhile ago I wrote a little about steaming couscous on another thread. Here, post #9:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/132455-starch-class-ideas/

Edited by djyee100 (log)
  • Like 1