• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for sashimi book

porpoise_oil

I keep coming back to the Uchi Cookbook for sashimi related matters. It's not a comprehensive sushi encyclopedia by any means, but has a good amount of recipes for composed sashimi courses and sushi rolls. The recipes have a modernist slant to them, but few require any special equipment (a few sashimi condiments use agar or another gelling agent, there are also a handful of meat dishes that use sous vide). The link below is a recipe from the book to give you an idea of what's inside.

http://www.foodarts.com/recipes/recipes/12251/yellowtail-ringo-with-amberjack-green-apple-fennel

First you need to learn how to cut fish in the Japanese style. It isn't similar to European cutting, and it is an important first skill. Of course, you can buy blocked fish at a japanese store, but you are starting way behind if you do. From there, sashimi cutting, as opposed to making sushi, is not particularly difficult. You just need to know how to sharpen your knife and what strokes to make. A book can be useful, but it is hard to see motion in pictures. I learned from two bosses of mine who were trained in Japan, and I can tell you that a good eye on your technique and a firm reprimand and correction is the fast path to good cutting.

Thanks very much everyone. This is actually for a gift, so links to YouTube won't be quite as suitable! Although I'm going to check them out myself :) Thanks for the book recommendations, the Uchi one looks like a great idea, but I'll also take a look at the others!