• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas presents for the cook and the kitchen

Shel_B

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Here is my kitchen-food haul.  You might think that I would have a set of measuring spoons and I do, but these are a set of "odd sized" ones.  They measure pinch, 1/8 t, 2/3 t, 1 1/2 t, and 2 t.  Not sure about the Beet Kvass.  I need to do some googling.

Hurray!!!   You got a salad shooter Pro!  I bet you'll love it!

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

Nice !

are the odd-sized measuring spoons  Cuisipro ?

http://www.cuisipro.com

Ive a number of their things for some time

high end store where I grew up had a sale and i stocked up

they do have the best stuff

and Im pleased i have number of their items.

Yes, they are Cusipro.  I agree - they make good, solid stuff.

@ElsieD

I would be really surprised if you do not fall in love with that small whisk. I was given one many years ago and wouldn’t part with it for the world. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@ElsieD

I would be really surprised if you do not fall in love with that small whisk. I was given one many years ago and wouldn’t part with it for the world. 

Same here, the small size works for so many mixtures, I love mine.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@ElsieD

I haven't used it yet but I sure got excited when I opened that gift.  I love small things like that and find them really handy.  A couple of other small items that I have that I really like are a couple of 7" silicone tipped tongs and some small spatulas of the same length.  The brand is Betty Crocker, yours for $2 for a set of 2 spatulas, one straight ended, one curved, and a pair of tongs for the same price at your local Dollarama.  

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@ElsieD

Totally - I dragged a couple back from France a bunch of years ago, after seeing Nigella Lawson using one on one of her very early shows. It was quite a few years before I started to see them more routinely here in Canada.

• Like 3

This year I received measuring cups/spoons, several silicone spatulas of various sizes.  A hot pad with school art work from my niece, a 7 piece set of silicone spurtles,  silicone whisk, chocolates,  Walkers shortbread cookies , and a Magic Bullet .  (3 years ago I received a 14" T-fal nonstick wok. thus the reason behind all the silicone utensils.)  And I forgot to add, a 2# wheel of Brie!

Edited by caroled
Forgot the cheese! (log)
  • Like 6

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

I am in awe of the cool gifts here!!!!  The ONLY food related item I received was a bottle of blueberry cordial my SIL made.  Not sure what I'll do with it, although it might find its way into a chocolate something.  

I'll have to drop some not-so-subtle hints next year.  My business had to gift me the Grex airbrush a few weeks before Christmas, as the Krome one seems to have died an untimely death.   

(I did get a couple cool gifts, but totally unrelated to food.)

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Some nice swag there.  John and I don't celebrate our holiday until New Year's Eve and follow that up with a birding trip on New Year's day as we head north to be with his family during Christmas itself.

My sister-in-law did give me some solid beechwood cheese markers.  

John is going to get wild blueberry jam from upstate NY, beach plum jam from Rea's farm in Cape May, pure maple gold nuggets from upstate NY and a pina colada rum cake from Bermuda.

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This year I received a set of whisks, kitchen shears, a thermoworks time stack, and a deep fat fryer from my brother.  We always exchange food-related gifts.  My sister gave me a bottle of Verve Cliquot Rose champagne.  My parents gave me an assortment of cheeses from a local cheese shop and a $200 gift card to Eataly, my niece and nephew each baked me cookies, and my brother in law gave me a bottle of rose that he knows I like.  Surprisingly, my husband did not buy me anything food/kitchen related this year though he did pick out some very nice gifts.

• Like 8

Gifts this year: homemade dark chocolate salted caramels (gone already!), a bottle of very good rye, a copy of Smitten Kitchen's new book and a set of the loveliest little tinted glasses for cold sake in a wonderful Japanese wooden box. We also happen to have an early holiday gift of a bottle of Yuzu sake. I have no intention of leaving home on NYE so I think I will make some kind of udon noodle dish and  christen our new glasses. Really too bad we have no more of those caramels left. Then we will start in on (or finish up as the case may be) the fourth season of Black Mirror and be sound asleep before being woken up at midnight by various fireworks, pot banging, gunshots and general mayhem as usual. At which point I may be in need of a xanax. Just to start off the new year in the right frame of mind.

• Like 7

I gifted myself with a Breville Air after my trusty old BSO died on Xmas eve. It's a shade bigger so more dishes will fit, very solidly made...a better feel to the knobs than its predecessor.  The air frying is interesting but not fully investigated yet.  Does everything but steam ;-( 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I got lots of lovely food related gifts this year, but the BIG thing is that Mr. Kim gave me an Anova precision cooker!!!  I am thrilled and, to be honest, a little intimidated.  I'll be asking for guidance, I'm sure.  So where are the sous vide threads?  :D

Woooo Hooooo!!!!  Welcome to the world of sous vide!!!!

This sous vide for newbies thread helped me a ton

Here is the index that is a wonderful wealth of knowledge

And here is the general sous vide thread--it's long, but tons of good stuff in here

• Like 5

This year, we got each other a cruise in a foreword looking penthouse suite,  out of New Orleans (during crawfish season, of course) with meals and beverages included and used our miles for round trip airfare and included a few days in the Big Easy after the cruise, to boot.

HC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thank you, ma'am!  I've got to get on it so that Mr. Kim doesn't think he's gotten me a dud gift.  He was very unsure.

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you, ma'am!  I've got to get on it so that Mr. Kim doesn't think he's gotten me a dud gift.  He was very unsure.

One thing that it's great for is thawing anything that can go into the bath.  Of course, you can cook things sous vide directly from frozen, too,  but it's also handy to speed up thawing without the uneven heating you get with MW thawing. Just set the heat as low as it can go and drop in a few ice cubes if your tap water isn't chilly enough. 

• Like 1

I was given $$$ to pick out a La Caja China Box (aka Cajun microwave), but how often, really, would I roast a whole pig or 18 chickens?

I also got a Negg egg peeler.  https://neggmaker.com. I thought it was just another quintessentially-lame, plastic unitasker--until I grudgingly tried it.  It's worth the $18 asking price! 

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

One thing that it's great for is thawing anything that can go into the bath.  Of course, you can cook things sous vide directly from frozen, too,  but it's also handy to speed up thawing without the uneven heating you get with MW thawing. Just set the heat as low as it can go and drop in a few ice cubes if your tap water isn't chilly enough. 

Why has this never occurred to me? I’m going to try that ASAP.

I did well this year. My SO and my mom conspired to get me a Kitchen Aid mixer and various accessories. I also got an Avengers waffle iron which, in addition to being geeky fun, makes nicely toaster shaped squares, so I can freeze some and toast them on days I don’t feel up to cooking breakfast.

• Like 5