• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas presents for the cook and the kitchen

Shel_B

A (belated) Christmas gift to myself: a 10-inch Global G-16 chef's knife. It was the last one in the store and therefore on clearance. It should be a nice upgrade from what I've been using, a Victorinox Forschner 8-inch chef knife which can feel a little flimsy with bigger jobs... (I also have an 8-inch Messermeister but it's too heavy for me.)

12260818553_cddbeebebd_z.jpg

What's in the Wusthof box?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 years later...

I couldn't find a newer thread....I swear there was one last year, but google isn't giving it to me. 

Anyway....guess what just showed up at my door from my mom and step dad?

Soooooooo excited!

IMG_3903.JPG.d7ad526ea4fecda3d3636193a146afda.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG.c1fe962f067292eaa1e7f3ea1eaa3931.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

I got my husband a pizza steel, the 3/8 incher. In the time it took to get here something miserable has happened to my left thumb (I'm left handed unfortunately). Any heavy lifting or manipulation is out of the question.  He is going to have to wrap it himself. How sad! Looking forward to pizza on the grill next week, especially the part where I don't have to lift a finger. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I got my husband a pizza steel, the 3/8 incher. In the time it took to get here something miserable has happened to my left thumb (I'm left handed unfortunately). Any heavy lifting or manipulation is out of the question.  He is going to have to wrap it himself. How sad! Looking forward to pizza on the grill next week, especially the part where I don't have to lift a finger. 

Well, I never get any wrapped presents from my husband.  He is anti-wrap. xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I can't think of any directly-used cooking tool I would like this year. ... however ...   I made PDFs of several of the recipes I use for Christmas cookies. As I noted in the Christmas Cookies Redux   thread I used an old monitor and laptop to put up the recipes I was using. Now I'm thinking that an iPad for the recipes would be nice. Oh the scandal of an anti-Apple guy thinking he might want an Apple product.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I can't think of any directly-used cooking tool I would like this year. ... however ...   I made PDFs of several of the recipes I use for Christmas cookies. As I noted in the Christmas Cookies Redux   thread I used an old monitor and laptop to put up the recipes I was using. Now I'm thinking that an iPad for the recipes would be nice. Oh the scandal of an anti-Apple guy thinking he might want an Apple product.

You will LOVE your new iPad (and I hope you get one!)  It's great for access to recipes in the kitchen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

1 hour ago, lindag said:

You will LOVE your new iPad (and I hope you get one!)  It's great for access to recipes in the kitchen.

Why would an iPad be better as a recipe stand than an Android-based tablet? Wouldn't any tablet dedicated for kitchen use work as well as another?

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Why would an iPad be better as a recipe stand than an Android-based tablet? Wouldn't any tablet dedicated for kitchen use work as well as another?

I was wondering that as well.  I do see the value of having a kitchen-dedicated tablet.  I've got a bunch of Kindle cookbooks on my iPad and it's great for reading but I find it a nuisance to go find it, make sure it's charged, change the settings so it doesn't power off as quickly, put it in a bag or cover the screen with plastic wrap, etc. each time I want to actually use it in the kitchen.  Lazy, I know xD!

Just last night, I pulled out an old iPad that I'd given to my mom and I'm going to update it with the cookbooks and try keeping it handy in the kitchen. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Just last night, I pulled out an old iPad that I'd given to my mom and I'm going to update it with the cookbooks and try keeping it handy in the kitchen. 

I have an old iPad permanently plugged in and ready and waiting at the end of my breakfast bar. I would like to tell you it is in constant use. And it was.…… until I got an iPhone 6Plus. xD

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

The iPad works better in the kitchen.

https://vimeo.com/37942209

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think we usually share our food and cooking related gifts each year. I don’t think anyone has started one for this year.

At the Nielsen household the tradition was always to open one’s gifts on Christmas eve.  And so I show you my bonanza. 

6CF705C4-9B05-4957-AAEE-D87201A9A329.thumb.jpeg.2ceba9d1773ef7994549ee10df4c5999.jpeg

Isn’t she cute? 

EB72E671-6C99-4BEC-AA61-DDA5695205B1.thumb.jpeg.41e04dc167f2fce4aa8ae7fdc237d969.jpeg

Two linen-lined oblong bannetons. 

16D14D13-A47C-48E2-B694-4768B3F12548.thumb.jpeg.1523286c33fd934fe053c952bd4e0590.jpeg

My favourite boxed wine.  Don’t judge. xD

4DA25F8B-E57B-45F6-B2A8-B578254E39F9.thumb.jpeg.bb35797be167244f94518c206d6ecd67.jpeg

For when wine won’t quite do the trick. Negroni makings because it’s my favourite cocktail and scotch because sometimes only the strongest medicine will serve. 

44F044BC-1134-4A23-93DF-7A05C461EC1F.thumb.jpeg.5d783d479b580d450e978a1024140187.jpeg

Perhaps the most appreciated of all because it keeps on giving for most of the year — an Amazon gift card. 

(And not shown — a bonanza of squash from the final day of the farmers’ market, some home-made cultured butter and 4 lbs of commercial butter so I can keep on making enriched breads.)

I hope Santa is good to you too!

• Like 18

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Great stuff!! Many “Happy hours” ahead:D. Are those spoons in the bannetons?

Merry Christmas!

Thank you. 

5AB5CBC8-C393-4808-B23D-C518CE290702.thumb.jpeg.b38df1b475eca16406af991638b8e89d.jpeg

Yes a little lagniappe!  They are very cute.

Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  We ome to the mini club!  You're going to love that thing!

We will be opening our gifts this evening as we always do.  Also traditional is the eating of ham sandwiches on Christmas Eve.  A glass or two of wine will go down the hatch as well while we watch A Christmas Carol, also a tradition.  We have watched it so many times I think one of us could play Scrooge and the other the Christmas ghosts.

• Like 1

Light on the kitchen gear this year, but I hadn't expressed a wish for anything. Santa brought me a pink pig kitchen timer; one twists her top half to set the time. I presume she's a "she," as she's a lovely shade of pink.

And an amusing book entitled 50 Shades Of Chicken, by one FL Fowler, which intersperses 50 chicken recipes with some potboiling kitchen chef-chicken action. A couple of the recipes looked pretty interesting.

Some very cool flamingo gear (I love flamingos), a "pug jazz bar" framed poster, a canvas blow-up of a favorite picture of my grandkids, and other happy odds and ends. And a good day with the family.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I think this T-shirt is the most food-related gift I received:

IMG_6600.thumb.jpg.b45cb149248d9e63fd2188ba5f4c392a.jpg

I also received a number of more beverage-themed gifts:

IMG_6602.thumb.jpg.e28dfaa669e3809604c62d0634595014.jpg

A "Novino-phobia" tote bag, a couple of little decorative items, a Irish whiskey chocolate bar and several nice bottles of bubbles.  

I also received some Amazon gift cards which will surely go towards kitchen-related stuff. 

• Like 8

Here is my kitchen-food haul.  You might think that I would have a set of measuring spoons and I do, but these are a set of "odd sized" ones.  They measure pinch, 1/8 t, 2/3 t, 1 1/2 t, and 2 t.  Not sure about the Beet Kvass.  I need to do some googling.

20171226_142925.jpg

• Like 10