• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas presents for the cook and the kitchen

Shel_B

Over the year, a good friend puts kitchen "thingies" in a box as she comes across them in the stores and gives them to me for Christmas.

The most unusual gift was this Umbra 4-measuring-spoons-in-one (click). Each side of the spoon is a different measurement: tablespoon, teaspoon, 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp.

Innovative. I'm impressed in theory. How is it in use?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Over the year, a good friend puts kitchen "thingies" in a box as she comes across them in the stores and gives them to me for Christmas.

The most unusual gift was this Umbra 4-measuring-spoons-in-one (click). Each side of the spoon is a different measurement: tablespoon, teaspoon, 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp.

Sorry for the late reply...

I have only used the small measurements so far. It worked well. The spoon "thingy" could fit into the spice jar easily for a 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon. But I can see the larger measurements (teaspoon and tablespoon) won't fit into the usual spice jar due to the larger size on that end of the spoon "thingy". But then, my old tablespoon measurement spoon wouldn't fit in most spice jars either. The old teaspoon, however, did fit into some spice jars and this new Umbra spoon won't. So it's a small trade off. Still, it's convenient to have them at hand all at one time.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sorry for the late reply...

I have only used the small measurements so far. It worked well. The spoon "thingy" could fit into the spice jar easily for a 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon. But I can see the larger measurements (teaspoon and tablespoon) won't fit into the usual spice jar due to the larger size on that end of the spoon "thingy". But then, my old tablespoon measurement spoon wouldn't fit in most spice jars either. The old teaspoon, however, did fit into some spice jars and this new Umbra spoon won't. So it's a small trade off. Still, it's convenient to have them at hand all at one time.

Thanks. If I see one I'm certain I will succumb. The simplicity of the thing just grabs me.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

New saucier ordered. :biggrin:

New saucier delivered. Now to give it a test drive. Not for tonight's dinner, though. Corned beef in Guinness with carrots paired with freshly-baked Irish soda bread have no use for a saucier.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

New saucier delivered. Now to give it a test drive. Not for tonight's dinner, though. Corned beef in Guinness with carrots paired with freshly-baked Irish soda bread have no use for a saucier.

I'm happy for you. May you have many years of enjoyment and good cooking with your new pan. It's nice to finally get something you've wanted for a while ... :smile:

• Like 1

... Shel

which one did you get ?

Vollrath Intrique 3 quart. Stainless steel construction. I strongly trend toward commercial kitchen equipment for my home kitchen since I know that it can go into the dishwasher and since it is an NSF-marked piece to can be easily cleaned to California (CURFFL health codes) retail food standards.

IMAG0325.jpg

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I received some gift cards so bought myself a new 3-pound bread machine.

I like having the extra volume to play with because I find the bread machine handy for mixing and proofing the dough which I then pull out before the baking cycle begins.

I can use regular loaf pans, pullman pans, bannetons for the final proof when baking directly on a stone.

This is a recently introduced machine Black and Decker and inexpensive (compared to some of my other bread machines).

I got it yesterday, tried it last night and am very well pleased with the first effort - a raisin/nut slightly sweet loaf, which I allowed to bake in the machine (after removing the beaters at the end of the last knead) and it rose to the very top of the pan, browned nicely and was baked all the way through.

I'm going to write a review for Amazon after I have tried a few more bread varieties.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have two for my 6 quart and like both - I probably use the "Side Swipe" more than the other but it all depends on what I am mixing.

I use the New Metro one for creaming butter and sugar, beating cheeses, etc.

I use the SideSwipe for mixing cookie dough and other stuft that is thicker and stickier.

Some people complain that the SideSwipe is difficult to clean but I have a "trick" the same that I use on my ice cream machine beaters - I use one of the silicone basting "brushes" which works great to get 99% of the material off the blades of the beater.

SideSwipe and scraper beaters.JPG

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I pre-clean all such pieces using the sprayer function on my faucet with hot water. If they are particularly bad I will pre-soak and then wipe before the spray.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Serendipitously, I discovered a great tool for cleaning in small or hard-to-get-at places - an old, battery operated, toothbrush, specifically this one: http://www.oralb.com/products/cross-action-power-toothbrush/ but I'm sure most any will work. And last night, Toots reminded me that she, too, uses a toothbrush in the kitchen, although hers is just a regular brush, not battery operated.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 3

... Shel

New saucier ordered. :biggrin:

Cool! Enjoy! My saucier is my most used pan.

I have returned to this topic to report that I absolutely LOVE my new bread machine.

It easily holds a double batch of regular bread machine recipes and I also tried the pre-packaged bread mixes by Krusteaz and by Hodgson Mill (I keep some of the "flavored" ones on hand as it saves lots of time and the products are excellent).

I loaded the pan with two of the packaged mixes - combining a Honey Whole Wheat with a Country White and adding 3/4 cup of raisins and 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts at the signal beep.

At the end of the final knead, when the digital readout was at 150, I pulled the dough out and removed the 2 beater paddles to avoid having big holes in the bottom, otherwise I left the machine to do its thing.

I forgot to take photos when this one first came out of the machine, and I have sliced away almost 1/3 of it (note arrows showing where the pan ribs and the beaters are located) but this shows the nice interior crumb, with NO holes - often a problem in bread machines - and an evenly browned crust.

One slice is essentially equal to two and fits horizontally into my Magimix toaster but cut in half it makes two slices that also fit nicely in my vintage Sunbeam.

HPIM5622.JPG

HPIM5623.JPG

HPIM5620.JPG

• Like 1

You must tell us how that works, Porthos! I've been thinking of getting one for my own KA.

Used it today for the first time. I was so excited that I asked my DW, who gave it to me, to come look at it in action. Well worth the money.

As for cleaning, I immediately used my sprayer faucet to clean it as well as the bowl. This is my regular habit for all baking. It's ready to go into the dishwasher. It will be a top rack item to help keep the rubber for hardening. Packaging says it is dishwasher-safe but I don't want to push my luck.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

At the end of the final knead, when the digital readout was at 150, I pulled the dough out and removed the 2 beater paddles to avoid having big holes in the bottom, ....

:huh:

I wish *I'd* thought of that.

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

At the end of the final knead, when the digital readout was at 150, I pulled the dough out and removed the 2 beater paddles to avoid having big holes in the bottom, ....

:huh:

I wish *I'd* thought of that.

I've been doing it for years. In fact I got the idea from a lady who was demonstrating bread machines at Gottschalks, dept store right after the mall opened in Palmdale in 1994. She had 6 or 8 machines at various stages and she showed how to pull the dough out of the pan (a vertical one) and removed the paddle.

Later I got a machine - still have it somewhere, as I have several bread machines - that has the paddles that are supposed to fold down flat but they never really worked as they were supposed to. One of these days I will have to get out all of them, line them up and take a photo. Including my now "vintage" Zojirushi...

• Like 2

Andie, you mentioned your Magimix toaster a couple posts up, is that the glass-sided one? I think you mentioned it in the Toaster thread a while ago, are you still enjoying it?

As far as Christmas presents, I am really liking the thermoworks Extra Big and Loud timer. No more endless punching up one number at a time. it counts up once the timer goes off so you know how long its been.

• Like 2

Andie, you mentioned your Magimix toaster a couple posts up, is that the glass-sided one? I think you mentioned it in the Toaster thread a while ago, are you still enjoying it?

As far as Christmas presents, I am really liking the thermoworks Extra Big and Loud timer. No more endless punching up one number at a time. it counts up once the timer goes off so you know how long its been.

Yes. That is the glass-sided Magimix - single long slot - but I have a complaint. it is no longer toasting evenly - which seems to be a symptom in so many "modern" toasters. It makes me angry because my 60+ year-old Sunbeam STILL toasts evenly from side to side and top to bottom.

I simply do not understand why they do this.

PARTICULARLY when it is such an EXPENSIVE toaster.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

which one did you get ?

Vollrath Intrique 3 quart. Stainless steel construction. I strongly trend toward commercial kitchen equipment for my home kitchen since I know that it can go into the dishwasher and since it is an NSF-marked piece to can be easily cleaned to California (CURFFL health codes) retail food standards.

attachicon.gifIMAG0325.jpg

Nice!

I got the 2 quart Sur La Table Saucier.....love it!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Yes. That is the glass-sided Magimix - single long slot - but I have a complaint. it is no longer toasting evenly - which seems to be a symptom in so many "modern" toasters. It makes me angry because my 60+ year-old Sunbeam STILL toasts evenly from side to side and top to bottom.

I simply do not understand why they do this.

PARTICULARLY when it is such an EXPENSIVE toaster.

Breville seems to do things properly. Anybody have a Breville toaster?

I have a Breville Ikon toaster two long slots (4-slice) and it too toasts unevenly. It toasts the top 2/3 of bread just fine but the bottom 1/3 is barely toasted at all in both slots, entire length.

We used to have a wonderful small appliance repair guy here in town but since he retired, his son who now owns the vacuum and sewing machine store, has no interest in repairing small electric appliances.

• 2 weeks later...

A (belated) Christmas gift to myself: a 10-inch Global G-16 chef's knife. It was the last one in the store and therefore on clearance. It should be a nice upgrade from what I've been using, a Victorinox Forschner 8-inch chef knife which can feel a little flimsy with bigger jobs... (I also have an 8-inch Messermeister but it's too heavy for me.)

12260818553_cddbeebebd_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2