• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chestnut peeling problem

OliverB

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

Loved it when I was able to buy hot chestnuts on the street

Still can here. In fact, they are very popular. Not only in winter, but all year round.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Still can here. In fact, they are very popular. Not only in winter, but all year round.

Yes, I remember. Chestnuts roasted in sugar coated hot black sand. The smoke and aroma of the sugar burning permeated the air. They have a  somewhat smaller variety of chestnuts. Very sweet.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I've tried roasting them but also found them insanely hard to peel after. For the last two years I've ended up boiling them after crossing for 10 minutes. If you leave them in the liquid to cool down and then peel (keep them in the water), the peeling experience is passable. I use this for puree, which is a divine side to any meat.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Here's my local chestnut man - about five minutes walk from my home. Taken this morning.

Very jealous!   Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Remember these ones @Anna N?

To be honest I had completely forgotten about them. But then I remember being so cold that I really didn’t want to remember very much at all.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

To be honest I had completely forgotten about them. But then I remember being so cold that I really didn’t want to remember very much at all.

Yes - it was pretty damn cold!