• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bologna and Environs

weinoo

We're going to be in Bologna for at least 4 days in the next month or so.

In addition, there'll be a day trip via train (Parma? Modena? other??) where we want to check out the old city center and have a nice lunch that's not too outrageously priced. Also, any specific ideas about potential tours of a small parmesan or prosciutto producer that might be doable?

And, what's the latest and greatest in the city of Bologna?

New and delicious? Old and still delicious? Used to be delicious and now is a must to avoid?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Definitely make a day trip to Parma.

A few years back we stayed at B&B Cancabaia, outside of Parma in Lesignano de Bagni (107km/1h26m, west of Bologna, according to google maps), which is a fantastic B&B that is also a small-scale Parmigiano producer. They also directed us to a nearby vintner and balsamic vinegar producer (Medici Ermete), which gave a a very absorbing tour (we forgot to take pictures), and a small prosciutto producer, the name of which I'm going to add later, when I dig it up.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

If you want traditional food in Bologna, then I think the best place is this one:

Osteria Bottega
Via Santa Caterina, 51
40123 Bologna

it's a bit difficult to find but it's well worth a visit. You get traditional dishes done correctly and with great produce. Their wine list is good too. Last time I've been there was about 3 years ago, if I recall right it costed about 45 euro plus wine. Beware you need to book it with a good advance.

If you can use a car and got in the outsides of Bologna, then I heard great comments about Berberè and their pizza. You need to book in advance and be prepared for a slooow service.

If you are interested in pastry shops and you can use a car, then a visit to Gino Fabbri is mandatory, he is one of the best 5 pastry chefs in Italy in my opinion. Only problem is that you need a car and a navigator to reach his shop, it's in a village outside Bologna. Once there you just need to choose what you prefer, I tried a lot of his stuff and it ranged from really good to excellent.

Another very good pastry shop is Regina di Quadri, this is easier to reach since it's within the "exagon" in the center of Bologna.

I'll ask to some friends living there for more suggestions.

All the websites I linked don't have an English version (major defect of most food related websites in Italy), if you need help feel free to ask.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

I really like Buca Manzoni for lasagne. I say lasagne because it's so good, I've never tried anything else there. :) They serve the tortellini in a huge terrine, but I'm not really a fan of tortellini. Very old school place, fantastic staff.

Next time I go, I'm going to this new meatball shop. Unless I find out it sucks. Everything there is round. No idea if it's any good. But sounds fun.

http://www.bolpetta.com/

Every time I go to Bologna, I get my husband a bottle of grappa that's been aged in Jack Daniel barrels at the Enoteca Italiana there. I can never remember the brand to order it online.

If you'll have a car, I can recommend this totally off-the-beaten-track place in the mountains (Sasso Marconi) that is really delicious. But you need a car for sure.

Had Tortelloni with Ricotta and Spinach five times in Bologna (huge variation in both pasta and filling). Trattoria Annamaria’s was by far the best and more than enough reason to return. But the side dish of Friggione blew me away. Basically stewed onions with tomatoes. Who knew you could get that depth of flavor from onions?

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, zend said:

@weinoo: how was it after all? I am headed for Bologna this month myself. 

Bologna was, and I imagine still is, fascinating and wonderful.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

25 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Bologna was, and I imagine still is, fascinating and wonderful.

Many thanks for the wonderful tip 

Edited by zend
perhaps was too harsh (log)