• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White sediment?

&roid

I've just taken delivery of a case of 2009 rosso di montalcino and it has a type of sediment I've not seen before. Being a bit eager to try it I didn't really give it any time upright before opening so a slug of sediment came out, almost in a single piece. Thing is it looks quite different to sediment I've seen before, it is a sort of greyish white, almost slimy texture, with a more normal looking dark crystaline sediment embedded in it. Is this normal??

Looks like harmless tartaric acid crystals from here.

It happens.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Looks like harmless tartaric acid crystals from here.

It happens.

Cool, thanks for the reply. The only way I've seen tartaric acid before has been as rough dark crystals so these big, almost slimy pale lumps looked pretty different - they aren't crystalline for a start! The darker spots on the lumps in the picture are definitely more like what I've seen before, just haven't seen the white sludgy bits.