• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction-friendly decent quality non-teflon non-stick saucepan?

quiet1

Like the title says - I am on the hunt for a small nonstick saucepan that will work on induction. I strongly prefer the non-teflon ones because I hate the way teflon invariably starts to peel up. I am really not seeing anything, though, so I'm wondering if such a creature even exists? Am I looking in the wrong places?

I don't usually buy nonstick at all - I'm one of those annoying 'stick' and 'properly seasoned cast iron/steel' people, but in the past I have reached for a small nonstick saucepan for those little tasks like reheating some soup when I don't want to use the microwave for some reason, or making scrambled eggs. Right now I'm mostly cooking on a countertop induction unit, though, and most of the nonstick stuff I'm seeing is aluminum and therefore not induction friendly.

I would prefer not to spend a fortune because this is not a pot for creating culinary masterpieces, but I am willing to spend a bit for something if it's going to last a sensible amount of time. (I.e. no needing to throw it out after a year because the coating's gone all gross.)

Any suggestions? Using a disc of metal to heat up an aluminum pan with the induction seems woefully inefficient for a pan that's primary purpose is quick and easy meals.

They might still be teflon rather than another non-stick - but it's worth taking your little magnet into Ikea and checking out any little non-stick lined sauce pan you see. They do make a lot of induction suitable pieces.

This little baby is coated with Teflon R (platinum plus) - whatever that means. It's on sale for $7.99. Buy two and throw one out when the nonstick fails!

I have found the the teflon in the Ikea pans lasts a decent amount of time if I'm careful with it compared to the really scuzzy teflon in thinner pans.

What do you consider a reasonable price, and what size saucepan are you looking for?

I have a couple of Calphalon Contemporary skillets that have done yeoman's duty for more than five years, and they are still going strong. It's my understanding that the Contemporary series comes in induction ready stainless.

I like the skillets I have so much that I bought another set just to be sure that I'd have them for a long time.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

A few months back we purchased the Thermalloy brand of non-stick fry pans and so far, are very happy with them. If they interest you, I suggest checking them out at a restaurant supply shop as the prices are better.

They might still be teflon rather than another non-stick - but it's worth taking your little magnet into Ikea and checking out any little non-stick lined sauce pan you see. They do make a lot of induction suitable pieces.

This little baby is coated with Teflon R (platinum plus) - whatever that means. It's on sale for $7.99. Buy two and throw one out when the nonstick fails!

I have found the the teflon in the Ikea pans lasts a decent amount of time if I'm careful with it compared to the really scuzzy teflon in thinner pans.

Okay, ~$8 is an acceptable price for a pan that'll have to be thrown out. Although I do hate the waste involved in that. (Can you recycle pots?)

Okay, ~$8 is an acceptable price for a pan that'll have to be thrown out. Although I do hate the waste involved in that. (Can you recycle pots?)

Funny you should mention that - I noticed this "People & Planet- The material in this product MAY BE recyclable. Please check the recycling rules in your community and if recycling facilities exist in your area." in the product information for this pot.

What do you consider a reasonable price, and what size saucepan are you looking for?

I have a couple of Calphalon Contemporary skillets that have done yeoman's duty for more than five years, and they are still going strong. It's my understanding that the Contemporary series comes in induction ready stainless.

I like the skillets I have so much that I bought another set just to be sure that I'd have them for a long time.

Something in the region of 1qt. Just enough for a serving or two of soup, that sort of thing. (I have at least one soup recipe where in order to make it freeze well, I freeze it in basically two parts, and it comes together better if you reheat in a pan so you can stir the parts together as they warm up. Technically I guess you could do it in a microwave and just stop and stir frequently, but I find that annoying. :) )

Reasonable price depends a lot on the expected lifespan - I'll pay All-Clad prices and up (although a sale is always nice!) for regular pans that I can expect will last a lifetime if they're worth the money (i.e. I'm not paying $$$ because it has a celeb chef name on the side but isn't any different otherwise) but not for something that'll last a year before the coating is toast.

Funny you should mention that - I noticed this "People & Planet- The material in this product MAY BE recyclable. Please check the recycling rules in your community and if recycling facilities exist in your area." in the product information for this pot.

It actually seems like a reasonable concern given that most nonstick does eventually need to be disposed of. It's just the nature of the material.