• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Ontario

MuskokaChef

i would possibly use this forum if I were going to a particular city and wanted to get some recommendations. However, me posting about a restaurant where I live, in Ottawa, is probably useless info if you are living in say, London, ON, and have no plans to come here. If I am looking for information on where to eat in Ottawa, i tend to visit Ottawa Foodies, Urban Spoon or Yelp. That also applies if i am going to a different city and am looking for restaurant recommendations. Those would be the sites I would go to first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This board was more active around 10 years ago, but for reasons I can only guess, members flocked to other foodie boards - in particular Chowhound which is now the de facto and most active food related discussion board in the world. I'd say that Yelp and Urbanspoon are special niches where patrons post restaurant reviews but not a foodie discussion board.

I'll take suggestions from people on here other Yelp or Urbanspoon any day.

Nothing worse than seeing food you love being trashed by someone who can't appreciate good food when they see it or taste it.

I'm a HUGE Indian buffet fan and have probably gone to 15-20 across North America before finding my favourite in Toronto. Yet looking at Urbanspoon, etc., there's nothing remarkable about this place.

Ryan Imgrund

Food Lover and Published Foodborne Pathogen Expert