• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

how long did you preheat for that Duck?

what would be your revised cooking schedule for it?

should i plunge into the CharB it would be for Duck like That!

Did not pre-heat for the duck or anything else for that matter.

I did not keep a very good record but I believe I went 2.5 hours with lid on for last 1/2 hour. Next I would try 2 hours with the lid on for the last 1/2 hour. I am still unsure how much the outside air temp is a factor to be considered. One amazing advantage of the BE is that the fat does not burn.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Finally, when I persuaded my sluggish body to move, I opted to make Nigel Slater's banana bread with turbinado sugar and chocolate. It's about at the halfway point in the oven.

For lunch I pulled meat from the leftover duck, tossed it in with the curry sauce I made upthread and had a fast and tasty meal.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

For rotut's amusement - we have Wray and Nephew Overproof on 75 grams of JD chips with about 1/4 of a spent vanilla bean and 1 allspice berry. It's had about 1 1/2 minutes in the nuke which brought it up to about 60º C. I put the lid on immediately and it's cooling on the counter. I will do this one or two more times - tasting at that point to see what's what.

DSCN2264.jpg

For dinner tonight - lovely leftovers. Soubise and chicken curry. Should have wiped the plate before service!

DSCN2265.jpg

DSCN2266.jpg

And a negroni that I was so anxious to get to that I forgot a picture.

• Like 1

Before it goes off to feed the staff in emerg, the finished banana bread:

image.jpg

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry brought home a delightful med student to share our lunch with today. She had given me fair warning so I was able to pull together the makings of a salad:

image.jpg

Romaine lettuce, hard-cooked eggs, tiny grape tomatoes, olives, scallions, antipasti, and a dressing inspired by Dave Hatfield's current blog. We each took a big bowl and built our own salad. Seemed to go over well.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

After the 3rd heating and sealing - it's taken on a lot of nice colour.

IMG_0839.jpg

Strained off it's wood chips.

IMG_0840.jpg

After dilution down to about 45% it was a very tasty tipple.

Also tasted the carpano antica imitation today - it still hasn't cleared completely but it's getting there (though I suspect the ride back in the car is going to bugger that a bit). Tasted it next to the real thing.

It's sweeter than real carpano - so the suggestions made upstream about using a dry muscat are duly noted. It will still benefit from a drop of two of the sherry to bring the flavour closer to carpano - that being said it's really nice and should make an excellent - albeit sweet - sweet vermouth.

So Kerry popped into the local grocery store a few days ago. As always she checked the meat counter. Not only did she find duck breasts, a rarity in this area, but look at the price! I buy this same brand of duck breast down south and I usually pay about nine dollars each. She grabbed all she could find. Some went into the freezer and will go home with us on Sunday. These two we threw into the fridge for a fast and CHEAP meal.

image.jpg

And here they are scored and salted.

image.jpg

Since Kerry is on call tonight and cannot enjoy a cocktail, I cooked up a few shrimp for her to enjoy instead

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow congratulations on the D.B.'s

Im very much interested in how you cook them. id like to hear a little more on your philosophy of the salting.

you have convinced me to Move to Experiment with Duck this fall and winter.

PS im sure that anything thats labeled in FR. has to taste a little better. Boxed // Fresh // Duck Br.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Bombay Sapphire

this used to be a FAV of mine when it first came out. I kept the bottle in the freezer and had a shot 'neat'

the Martini folks here differ on its "" Yum"" but way back then it was Fine.

FD : 750 cc lasted a very long time.

glad to see there are still some B.S. students out there.

what do they have now? bombay Ultra Gold?

""" it was a very tasty tipple """

i dont know much about distilled spirits. what would you think was closest to your tipple available commercially? Order of magnitude.

Not sure - I'd have to sit down with all my rums and compare.

Bombay Sapphire

this used to be a FAV of mine when it first came out. I kept the bottle in the freezer and had a shot 'neat'

the Martini folks here differ on its "" Yum"" but way back then it was Fine.

FD : 750 cc lasted a very long time.

glad to see there are still some B.S. students out there.

what do they have now? bombay Ultra Gold?

Let me explain how I ended up with Bombay Sapphire. I asked one of the nurses who had a place across the border to grab me some duty free Beefeater. Got BS twice!

well you got it. back in the day, say 20 + years ago it was sure something.

now ?????????????

as ive said it does not have a cork. so .............

i bet, triple blind in the drinks you make and enjoy

no one would taste the difference.

so ..... get that High Priced Bottle, then when your are done with its Contents,

Hire Some One to Look After those Empty Bottles

:cool:

I cooked the duck slowly in a heavy Dutch oven (would have much preferred a cast iron skillet but sometimes you just have to settle). I let it cook skin side down to crisp and render as much fat as possible, flipped it to the flesh side for a minute or so then into a pre-heated 375F oven on convection for 13 mins. A bit too long!

image.jpg

In the mean time I sauteed some Belgian endive in olive oil while Kerry made a pan sauce from the fond, the duck juice from when we did the whole duck in the BE and some saba.

image.jpg

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Heidi - I tend to use saba most for sauce for duck - though I have used it a fair bit in chocolate fillings when I want to get some additional raisiny flavour. Hence it's addition in my rum and raisin filling.

• Similar Content

• By Duvel
      The first week of November are „autumn holidays“ in the area where I live. We wanted to use that time to go to Paris, but when my parents-in-law somewhat surprisingly announced they‘d be coming over from Spain for the whole of November, we scrapped that idea and looked for something more German …

So … Berlin. Not the best time to travel (cold & rainy), but with a couple of museums for the little one and the slightly older ones to enjoy together, plus some food options I was looking forward it was a destination we could all agree on. The Covid19 warnings in the Berlin subway support that notion …

• By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and led us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.

• By FoodMuse
      Hello everyone,
      eGullet was nice enough to invite me to write a food blog chronicling what I've made or eaten out for one week. I'm so excited about it! Thanks guys.
      About me:
      I dream about food, I wake thinking what's for dinner and I'm so excited to share it with you. I'm part of the food world in New York. By that, I just mean that I'm so fortunate enough to be invited to great events where I get to eat great food. I'm also a nerd and a part of the technology world. I produce, edit and sometimes host food related web videos and I'm also a part of the tech world.
      I'm launching a website called Please, Pass the Gravy. www.pleasepassthegravy.com We let you create a menu, invite friends and then collaborate on that menu. Never host another potluck with 8 pasta salads. You could use it now, but we're alpha launch, it works but it's ugly. It's my ugly baby. So, if you use it be kind and message me if you have improvement ideas. I thought it would be ok to write about it here because it is food related.
      I live in Brooklyn with a lovely guy who likes to eat and a small corgi mix dog. I cook pretty much every night and do a nice brunch on the weekend. I am not a crazy dog lady, but I do admit to cooking food for the dog. I have an excuse, beyond doting, he had seizures that have stopped since not feeding him dog food.
      Foods I cook:
      Spicy foods! If you look at my blog I have a simple papaya ketchup with habanero that is pretty darn good.
      I love great cheese. This may be the week for Beer Cheese Soup.
      I try to limit carbs, though I do cheat.
      In any given week C. and I probably eat cauliflower, broccoli and green beans as a side.
      Tonight's dinner will be Vietnamese inspired. We'll see how it goes. I'll post about it as soon as I can.
      Any requests? Questions? I'd love to hear from you.
      -Grace
    • By Duvel
      In these challenging times, a full summer vacation is not an easy task. For the last 1.5 years we have been mostly at home with the clear plan to visit Catalonia (or more precise my wife’s family) latest this summer. And it looked good for a while. Unfortunately, the recent rise in case numbers in Spain have resulted in …

OK, let’s skip this part. Long story short - my wife and me are fully vaccinated, as are >90% of the people we care about in Catalonia. After some discussion (after all, Germans tend to prefer to be on the safe side of things) we simply fueled up the car, got each a test (for the transit through France) and started to drive …

After a leisurely 11h drive we arrived at a small fishing town somewhat north of Barcelona around 3.00am. We unloaded the car and my wife an the little one went straight to bed. 

I found an expired beer in the elsewise pretty empty fridge and enjoyed the cool breeze on the terrace. Holidays, here we come …

• By liuzhou
      Last week, Liuzhou government invited a number of diplomats from Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar/Burma, Poland, and Germany to visit the city and prefecture. They also invited me along. We spent Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday introducing the diplomats to the culture of the local ethnic groups and especially to their food culture.

First off, we headed two hours north into the mountains of Rongshui Miao Autonomous County. The Miao people (苗族 miáo zú), who include the the Hmong, live in the mid-levels of mountains and are predominantly subsistence farmers. Our first port of call was the county town, also Rongshui (融水 róng shuǐ, literal meaning: Melt Water) where we were to have lunch. But before lunch we had to go meet some people and see their local crafts. These are people I know well from my frequent work trips to the area, but for the diplomats, it was all new.

So, I had to wait for lunch, and I see no reason why you shouldn't either. Here are some of the people I live and work with.

This lovely young woman is wearing the traditional costume of an unmarried girl. Many young women, including her, wear this every day, but most only on festive occasions.

Her hat is made from silver (and is very heavy). Here is a closer look.

Married women dispense with those gladrags and go for this look:

As you can see she is weaving bamboo into a lantern cover.

The men tend to go for this look, although I'm not sure that the Bluetooth earpiece for his cellphone is strictly traditional.

The children don't get spared either

This little girl is posing with the Malaysian Consul-General.

After meeting these people we went on to visit a 芦笙 (lú shēng) workshop. The lusheng is a reed wind instrument and an important element in the Miao, Dong and Yao peoples' cultures.

Then at last we headed to the restaurant, but as is their custom, in homes and restaurants, guests are barred from entering until they go through the ritual of the welcoming cup of home-brewed rice wine.

The consular staff from Myanmar/Burma and Malaysia "unlock" the door.

Then you have the ritual hand washing part.

Having attended to your personal hygiene, but before  entering the dining room, there is one more ritual to go through. You arrive here and sit around this fire and wok full of some mysterious liquid on the boil.

On a nearby table is this

Puffed rice, soy beans, peanuts and scallion. These are ladled into bowls.

with a little salt, and then drowned in the "tea" brewing in the wok.

This is  油茶 (yóu chá) or Oil Tea. The tea is made from Tea Seed Oil which is made from the seeds of the camellia bush. This dish is used as a welcoming offering to guests in homes and restaurants. Proper etiquette suggests that three cups is a minimum, but they will keep refilling your cup until you stop drinking. First time I had it I really didn't like it, but I persevered and now look forward to it.

L-R: Director of the Foreign Affairs Dept of Liuzhou government, consuls-general of Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos.

Having partaken of the oil tea, finally we are allowed to enter the dining room, where two tables have been laid out for our use.

Let the eating, finally, begin.

In no particular order:

Steamed corn, taro and sweet potato

Bamboo Shoots

Duck

Banana leaf stuffed with sticky rice and mixed vegetables and steamed.

Egg pancake with unidentified greenery

Stir fried pork and beans

Stir fried Chinese banana (Ensete lasiocarpum)

Pig Ears

This may not look like much, but was the star of the trip. Rice paddy fish, deep fried in camellia tree seed oil with wild mountain herbs. We ate this at every meal, cooked with slight variations, but never tired of it.

Stir fried Greens

Our meal was accompanied by the wait staff singing to us and serving home-made rice wine (sweetish and made from the local sticky rice).

Everything we ate was grown or reared within half a kilometre of the restaurant and was all free-range, organic. And utterly delicious.

Roll on dinner time.

On the trip I was designated the unofficial official photographer and ended up taking 1227 photographs. I just got back last night and was busy today, so I will try to post the rest of the first day (and dinner) as soon as I can.