• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

Pound cake made with 3 duck eggs in place of 4 hen eggs. The batter was delicious. Will be taken to work by Kerry very shortly.

Did you get a chance to taste the pound cake made with duck eggs?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Pound cake made with 3 duck eggs in place of 4 hen eggs. The batter was delicious. Will be taken to work by Kerry very shortly.

Did you get a chance to taste the pound cake made with duck eggs?

No - but the reports were that it was the best pound cake ever!

DSCN2183.jpg

We have have forgotten to bring some of the most basic things up here with us - but I made a trip to Mickey McQuires before I left and got us some new cheeses to enjoy - and enjoy we did.

• Like 4

Since Kerry is at the hospital fighting bureaucracy and apathy as she attempts to get a patient transferred to Toronto, I made my own cocktail. A simple negroni. She is on call until 8 in the morning so won't be drinking tonight though I bet she wishes otherwise!

image.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes indeed - I would kill for a drink right about now.

And to really rub it in - she's drinking it while she cooks.

DSCN2185.jpg

But it was lovely - dry fried green beans - one of our favourites.

DSCN2191.jpg

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN2183.jpg

We have have forgotten to bring some of the most basic things up here with us - but I made a trip to Mickey McQuires before I left and got us some new cheeses to enjoy - and enjoy we did.

the Gunn's Hill Five Brothers has become my favourite cheese .. If you are ever driving past woodstock on the 401, it is well worth while to stop at the farm store . If you are lucky enough , he might have just finished making cheese curds . They are the squeakiest I have ever eaten , as well as being very tasty.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Dry fried green beans? They look really good! How do you cook them? Please give more detail than "dry fried" :-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dry fried green beans? They look really good! How do you cook them? Please give more detail than "dry fried" :-)

Happy to oblige:

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/dry-fried-green-beans

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A busy morning out running around - we hit the farmer's market in town - produce is a bit thin this time of year - but Anna grabbed a couple of these little towels that her daughter likes to attach to the fridge door to wipe her hands on.

DSCN2197.jpg

Not showing up well in the picture is a bottle of Hawberry (Hawthorn) jelly given to me by a fellow I took care of in hospital this summer.

We also hit the Flee (sic) Market for a nice browse. Also not well seen - a couple of tall thin glass vessels that should be helpful to hold a hygrometer.

We considered going out to lunch - but recalled how often we had been disappointed by meals in town here - so came home and Anna put together this fabulous leftover stir fry that we ate with some shiritaki noodles in the interest of low carbness.

DSCN2199.jpg

Before we left this am - I added some colouring herbs to a batch of absinthe clone I'm playing with - they need to be at 50º C for a while so sous vide seemed appropriate.

IMG_0814.jpg

Once they have cooled I'll strain and see what it's like.

DSCN2195.jpg

• Like 1

That plum cake is the recipe my MIL stumbled upon and made, because we had plums to use. It was delicious. And, lucky me: we have plum halves, pitted and frozen and waiting for winter, when otherwise there wouldn't be plums for plum cake.

Kerry, you and Anna always find the most fascinating things to do on Manitoulin. What do people who live there full-time do?

Realize I hadn't seen this question until now - was going back to see when I put the vermouth together so I'd know when the 6 days would be up.

People who live on the island - well there is a fair bit of farming - beef, dairy, a couple of nice organic produce/grain farms. Also a fair number of 'hobby' farms that people who have other jobs run. Manitoulin Transport is based here so truckers. A fair number of jobs revolve around the summer tourist season - marinas are everywhere, a little boutique hotel or two.

"Eeyore's Requiem" - what a great name for a drink! Sounds like it could be a good fiddle tune, also.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Where the hell do you get sugar cubes anymore?

I had to quote this for posterity... it's probably the first time you've ever asked where to get something that I can get off the shelf at my local grocery store. :biggrin:

In case anybody is wondering what that's about, it's always me asking Kerry where to find something or asking if she can send something my way.

"Eeyore's Requiem" - what a great name for a drink! Sounds like it could be a good fiddle tune, also.

A great name for a great drink. A personal favorite. Might have to revisit it this weekend.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tonight Anna organized tempura - a lovely leisurely repast. We spent about an hour and a half gabbing and eating. I was sure we didn't eat that much - but damn I feel like I rolled away from the table.

DSCN2208.jpg

Mess in place.

DSCN2210.jpg

The first item in.

DSCN2212.jpg

My first 3 pieces - waiting for them to cool sufficiently. No trips to the ER required due to burns.

Are the orange rounds sweet taters?

They are indeed. Our choice was kabocha squash but that can only be a dream on the Island.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I adore tempura. Yours looks wonderful!

I'd need at least twice that much!

I had pretty much the same as Kerry. We are saving our calories for a first time run of a new toy! Stayed tuned for more Excellent Adventures!

My 2004 eG Blog