• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

For the absinthe I used Roman Wormwood (artemisia pontica) aka petite wormwood that I purchased online. Also lemon balm, hyssop and veronica.  I let it settle for a while after filtering out the herbs, then run through fine filter paper.

The gelatin in the vermouth actually causes everything to settle to the bottom - so you are left with clear liquid on the top.

Every time I try paper filters, the filters clog....however, I just impulsively pulled the trigger on a Büchner funnel kit, so we'll see....

Ok, re: gelatin, how do you get the clear liquid out?

I have a Buchner funnel as well - but haven't used it for this so far.  

With gelatin I poured the clear liquid off the top (or you could siphon depending on the size of the batch).  

Awesome, good to know :) Well now I have two ways of clarifying my murky infusions.

Btw, I just pulled the trigger on some Jack Daniel's chips too for my own WNOP experiments  :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

So, on that JD chips + WNOP, I had a thought. Appleton actually does use JD barrels, so that's pretty on the money as far as type of chips to buy. However, given that they see the inside of the charred barrel only, and the chips are mostly uncharred, would it not make sense to char the entirety of the chips to be infused, with a torch or on a gas stove, or something? As they are, I imagine there is a lot of raw oak taste.