• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

How about putting one of each of the two eggs in a pot with an Anova (say 65°/65 minutes) and see what you get? Not sure how you'd make it double-blind ...

(Missed a parenthesis)

Edited by lesliec (log)

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Things will be quiet today as we are off to Sudbury for some serious retail therapy (mostly food and food-related). We will share our finds with you late this evening.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry to be so late in posting - but it's been a full day and I had to get the pound cake going for work tomorrow.

DSCN2128.jpg

DSCN2130.jpg

Stopped to grab a couple of pictures in Whitefish Falls on the way to Sudbury. The leaves are quite beautiful - even more so today as it's not raining!

DSCN2132.jpg

Breakfast at the truck stop in Nairn Center - peameal for me, ham for Anna. Got to love those little potato pancakes.

DSCN2133.jpg

Dinner much later at the Cafe Asia in Sudbury that has opened again under new management as the original owner and his wife moved back to Korea so she could be with her family while dealing with a nasty cancer.

DSCN2135.jpg

Spring roll for me.

DSCN2136.jpg

Egg roll for Anna.

DSCN2137.jpg

Asked for some Red Chili sauce - expecting the sweet kind - found this quite delightfully sinus clearing.

Anna had the Bibimbap.

DSCN2139.jpg

I opted for the stir fried udon noodles.

DSCN2141.jpg

A bit of unpacking to do when we arrived home -

DSCN2143.jpg

I've brought along some dried herbs this trip - want to try infusing some vermouth - so grabbed a couple of bottles of muscat based sweet wine from Greece to base it on.

DSCN2145.jpg

Anna like my little wok that I have here so much that she grabbed one when she saw it in Homesense today.

• Like 2

I'm having a little trouble tonight uploading photos - the uploader keeps randomly telling me the files are too big to upload - so this might cover a couple of posts!

A few more odds and ends we picked up in Sudbury.

DSCN2146.jpg

DSCN2147.jpg

I think those are gummy bears that Anna got - she has a bit of a weakness for them.

I can't seem to post any more pictures right now - so the pictures of the cocktail that has me a little stupid right now and the pound cake made with duck eggs will have to wait until I can get that sorted!

image.jpg

Last evening's libation. Little Italy made with white rye as an experiment. Not a total failure but rye too prominent. Will make again using a more appropriare rye.

image.jpg

Pound cake made with 3 duck eggs in place of 4 hen eggs. The batter was delicious. Will be taken to work by Kerry very shortly.

Both of the above made by Kerry who is having difficulty posting photos.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I think those are gummy bears that Anna got - she has a bit of a weakness for them.

I can't seem to post any more pictures right now - so the pictures of the cocktail that has me a little stupid right now and the pound cake made with duck eggs will have to wait until I can get that sorted!

Won't deny my weakness for gummies but these are a gift for my granddaughter. Wouldn't dare buy that many for myself as I would surely finish them off in one or two sessions!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

So "the best laid plans......." Thought I would make Marion Burros plum cake with some purple plums we were gifted but we are out of white sugar! I could sub any number of other sugars we have but I think I'll hold off and see if Kerry has time to swing by the grocery store at lunch time. I'll get everything else measured and then it should come together very quickly.

My other project for today is kimchi and here's the napa cabbage in salt water. It will stay there for about 1 1/2 hours before other things are added.

image.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry came through as she always does and the plum tart is baking as I type. kerry has just checked on it and pronounced it a thing of beauty ..... We shall reserve judgement for now.

image.jpg

I made a poriridge of sweet rice flour, water and sugar and let it cool. Meanwhile in the Thermomix I blitzed the fish sauce, Korean hot pepper flakes, onion, ginger and garlic. This paste gets added to the porridge to produce this:

image.jpg

The cabbage is rinsed 3 times and spun idry in the salad spinner, transferred it to a stainless steel bowl, added the porridge and the carrots and scallions are added.

.image.jpg

It is wise to wear rubber gloves for this operation!

And finally it is put into jars, left at room temp for 24 hours and then refrigerated

image.jpg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

how long would this keep in the refrig?

might you add a portion of small dark green bok choy chopped if you happened to have it around?

do you think this is "salty" ? I ask as ive decided to limit NaCl if i can, and use KCl when I can.

Thanks for the step by step on the kimchi. Is that a trial and error recipe or a specific one? I have access to loads of different styles but you never know when you might find yourself far away from a Korean market and in need.

Thanks for the step by step on the kimchi. Is that a trial and error recipe or a specific one? I have access to loads of different styles but you never know when you might find yourself far away from a Korean market and in need.

A bit of both really! The base is from Maangchi's blog but making do for ingredients that are not readily available. No daikon here, squid was a no go from the start but most other things are as specified. My napa cabbage weighed just under 3 lbs so I reduced everything accordingly. I have made kimchi more than once using different recipes and all are perfectly edible. You might check her blog for something she calls "emergency" kimchi which uses green cabbage.

My 2004 eG Blog

So here's the plum cake:

image.jpg

Perhaps not a spectacularly beautiful specimen but it went over rather well with the staff.

image.jpg

I had to try just a sliver and I am so glad I shipped it out of here. It truly is way, way more than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

An interesting day at work today. I assumed I was in Wiki - cause the calendar said WIC - turns out I was replacing the nurse practitioner for walk in patients this am. And it turned out that I really only had to work until lunchtime. So more time to play this afternoon.

DSCN2152.jpg

My mess in place for Carpano antica clone. 19 ingredients - I was missing two - one because it showed up at my house today (and I'm not there) and the other because I have it at home and forgot to bring it with me thinking I already had some up here).

DSCN2153.jpg

All weighed out and added to my infusion bottle.

DSCN2154.jpg

4 bottles of Samos muscat sweet wine added along with 50 cc of 95% to bring it up to 16.5% alcohol.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

Can never go wrong with a Brother's Perryman - didn't have an orange for the flamed rind - but I don't think we noticed.

DSCN2155.jpg

Here's the cauliflower post sous vide, pre BGE.

DSCN2159.jpg

Some milk chocolate almond bark for Max the butcher where we will be heading tomorrow to pick up our and another doc's thanksgiving turkey.

DSCN2160.jpg

A few apples with a really nice smelling skin that I plan to make some apple bitters with. I may have to fight the fruit flies for them.

DSCN2161.jpg

• Like 1

The plum cake looks very appetizing actually in a rustic kind of way. What kind of dough recipe did you use?

Even as I was reading the recipe I knew there was something all too familiar about it! This is Ann_T's summer torte which we made in the summer! Here's a link to the recipe I used today:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Plum-Torte-108123

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

So not all experiments are successful! The cauliflower cooked whole sous-vide and then finished at high temp on the little green egg was less than stellar.

image.jpg

The cauliflower sealed in vacuum bag with duck fat, hot pepper flakes and white wine.

image.jpg

In the sous vide at 85C x 45 minutes with Kerry's unique system of keeping it submerged. Temperature at heart of cauliflower after 45 Mins was only 66C. That should have set off alarm bells but we were busy making other things!

image.jpg

After a sear on the little green egg.

Two chuck tenders sous vided a day or so ago and re-heated briefly in the same bath as the cauliflower.

image.jpg

Dinner plated up:

image.jpg

Back to the drawing board! I would like to repeat at 90C for 45 minutes.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN2162.jpg

For your amusement - these are some herbs I brought along with me for infusions I want to work on. I bought them from Herbie's Herbs - the smallest amount you could buy online was 8 ounces - and they came packaged in 2 ounce bags! Why the hell did I have to buy 8 ounces - they even had prices on each of the 2 ounce bags! If I'd had time to go to Toronto I guess I could have bought them directly in 2 ounce bags (or maybe if I'd just called in a order).