• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

nelson87

"Sauces & Shapes: Pasta the Italian Way" by Oretta Zanini de Vita and Maureen B. Fant

That does look like a swell book! I've just been admiring the lively writing style and the well-turned phrases in the Kindle preview on Amazon. (Alas, a typo jumped out at me in the second paragraph: "ravelled sleave of care" in an otherwise lovely sentence.) I can see this cookbook in my future, despite the fact that I'm currently weeding my collection because I Have Too Many Cookbooks. It promises to be a treat to read and an education in the kitchen.

Nelson87, your copy should have arrived by now. Do let us know what you cook from it, and how you like it!

Book arrived today. I was a bit apprehensive, Will Oretta bless my Kitchenaid pasta roller, dough hook and Cuisinart? She Does!!!

Recipes are clear and, thankfully, include metric weights.

One caveat, I see only two recipes for pasta an egg and water and flour doughs.

Nelson87

Southern Connecticut

Correction::: They are other pasta recipes in this tome. This is a very informative book.

Nelson87

SouthernConnecticut

• Like 1

Ah, so it seems to live up to its promise! The Amazon preview feature is a lovely and enticing element of their web site, isn't it?

That does look like a swell book! I've just been admiring the lively writing style and the well-turned phrases in the Kindle preview on Amazon. (Alas, a typo jumped out at me in the second paragraph: "ravelled sleave of care" in an otherwise lovely sentence.) I can see this cookbook in my future, despite the fact that I'm currently weeding my collection because I Have Too Many Cookbooks. It promises to be a treat to read and an education in the kitchen.

Nelson87, your copy should have arrived by now. Do let us know what you cook from it, and how you like it!

Not a typo! It's Shakespeare. Macbeth.

Oh, good! I didn't recognize the Elizabethan spelling. I'm relieved to know that such a simple error was, in fact, mine.

Oh, good! I didn't recognize the Elizabethan spelling. I'm relieved to know that such a simple error was, in fact, mine.

You are most gracious. It was a battle with the proofreaders too. I knew I was taking a chance with the phrase, but I love it.

• Like 1

OK, I couldn't stand to wait any longer. My copy is on the way; I won't likely have time to actually cook from it for a few weeks, but I expect to love the writing. I may keep a copy of Shakespeare's plays close to hand while I'm at it. ;-)

I've now started into Pasta the Italian Way. The first section is Last-Minute Sauces:

"All the sauces in this section can be made with ingedients you probably already have in your kitchen -- no extra shopping needed if you've stocked your larder with a few good Italian staples."

The first recipe is Sugo con la bottarga di tonno o muggine. Maybe I have led a sheltered life, however I had never heard of bottarga, and I've read a number of Italian cookbooks. Yes, I notice bottarga is available on amazon. But still not a recipe for me to satisfy a craving in the middle of the night.

This small criticism aside, it is a beautiful book and I think I'll learn a lot.

The editor and I were amazed that the sales force liked the bottarga picture for the cover, but apparently bottarga is now mainstream. When I saw Martha Stewart recipes for bottarga, I understood that things had progressed while my back was turned. In any case, I'll grant you most people probably don't already have it (yet), but it actually is perfect to keep in the fridge for last-minute meals.

• Similar Content

• By quiet1
      We have a local Italian bakery my mom loves, but they are very expensive and hard for her to get to. She also really likes cookbooks (she reads them even if she never cooks from them  ) so I was thinking for her birthday I could get her a cookbook that has similar cookies and cakes, and offer to make a few things for her on request also.

I'll obviously look myself, but eGullet is always well informed about the quality of cookbooks so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The thing about the Italian bakery is that the stuff they make seems to me to be not as sweet as classic American recipes, and often have more complex flavors and also are usually on the light end for whatever the item is. (Like even something that's intended to be dense doesn't have a very heavy sensation in the mouth.)
    • By smeems
      Hi.  I'm brand new to this site.  I used to be on Chowhound but I see now that that site is a mess. I found this site and it looks pretty cool.  The main reason I joined is  I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant to hold my wedding in March 2018. We were hoping maybe in Brooklyn but we are open to anything interesting. There will be 55-60 people and the ceremony will also be at the restaurant. I’m thinking of a brunch/early afternoon affair, most likely on a weekend. Would love to find a funky/old school/unique/charming type of place for my sweetheart. Inexpensive please! Thank you in advance!
    • By smeems
      Hi.  I'm brand new to this site.  I used to be on Chowhound but I see now that that site is a mess. I found this site and it looks pretty cool.  The main reason I joined is  I’m looking for recommendations for a restaurant to hold my wedding in March 2018. We were hoping maybe in Brooklyn but we are open to anything interesting. There will be 55-60 people and the ceremony will also be at the restaurant. I’m thinking of a brunch/early afternoon affair, most likely on a weekend. Would love to find a funky/old school/unique/charming type of place for my sweetheart. Inexpensive please! Thank you in advance!
    • By liuzhou
      This may not mean much to non-British members, but I'm sad to read this morning of the passing of Antonio Carluccio, the only "celebrity chef" I ever met and spoke with.  Many years ago, I was standing outside his beautiful Italian deli in the northern fringes of Covent Garden, London admiring the wonderful fresh wild mushrooms on sale which were displayed by the open door and regretting that I couldn't afford them that day.

As I was doing so, the man himself came out and stopped to chat with me. He was large of body and heart. At that time he was known mainly from his books and for his passion for (the then unfashionable) mushroom foraging, only later becoming a television star, too.

Here are a few links. One to an obituary, one to a personal memoir from food writer Matthew Fort   and one to a Q+A session with the maestro.

• By Raamo
      HOST'S NOTE: This post and those that follow were split off from the pre-release discussion of Modernist Bread.

Figured I don't need to dump all this into the contest thread - so I'll post here.  My journey to making my first MC loaf.

Her's the poolish after >12 hours:

Not pictured - water with yeast in it below the bread flour and poolish

That went into the mixer and not long later I had a shaggy mass:

That rested for a while - then mixed until medium gluten formation - a window pane that was both opaque and translucent (no picture for that slightly messy part)

Folded and rested, folded and rested, I think this is 1/2 the mass now ready to rest one final time.

Proofed it in the oven - I have a picture of that but it's just foggy window oven

Then it went into the oven, here it is at max temp - 450 with steam turned on.

Completed loaf:

\

And the crumb - this is awesome bread: