• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they get the vinegar taste in salt and vinegar potato chips?

gfweb

Potatoes, sunflower oil, salt and vinegar seasoning (flavorings, sea salt, maltodextrin, maltic acid, citric acid, sugar, dried yeast extract (yeast extract, salt). are the ingredients of one brand. I guess its the citric and perhaps maltic acids as D'carch said.

Acetic acid is somewhat volatile, I'm not sure that you could get much if you dehydrated an aqueous solution. From my lab days, I don't ever recall seeing powdered HOAc in any of the catalogs. Any organic chemists out there?

edited to add

here's another with vinegar powder

Potatoes, safflower and/or sunflower and/or canola oil, vinegar powder (maltodextrin, white distilled vinegar), sea salt, maltodextrin, citric acid.

Edited by gfweb (log)

maltodextrin,

I wonder if this acts as some sort of carrier of 'flavor'. I have a "mesquite seasoning" from Sauer's

its hydroscopic and solidifies after a while. on the ingredient list is: "mesquite smoke flavor ( maltodextrin, mesquite smoke flavor)"

As Huiray noted above Serious Eats stated in an article that it varies among the brands with acetic, malic, lactic and fumaric being the options. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/09/the-best-salt-and-vinegar-chips-tasting-brands-most-acidic.html

If you are trying to make your own, a number of the on-line recipes have you soak the potato slices in vinegar. I have used that method to flavor canned chickpeas for roasting.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

OK. I have obtained a quantity of maltodextrin. Looking at various websites, the flavored maltodextrin products seem pretty chunky...not the dry powder that one might spread over a potato chip...even after pushed thru a tamis.

Any ideas how to make the oil-impregnated maltoD into a fine powder?

OK. I have obtained a quantity of maltodextrin. Looking at various websites, the flavored maltodextrin products seem pretty chunky...not the dry powder that one might spread over a potato chip...even after pushed thru a tamis.

You were better off buying vinegar powder. Maltodextrin + vinegar isnt very strong in flavor. I find you end up tasting the maltodextrin more then the flavor your trying to impart. Bacon grease + maltodextrin is a perfect example. I had to use so much maltodextrin to make a dry powder that all i tasted was a funky sweet greasy powder.

You were better off buying vinegar powder. Maltodextrin + vinegar isnt very strong in flavor. I find you end up tasting the maltodextrin more then the flavor your trying to impart. Bacon grease + maltodextrin is a perfect example. I had to use so much maltodextrin to make a dry powder that all i tasted was a funky sweet greasy powder.

ew

• Like 1