• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intentionally Breaking Emulsions

Stephanie Wallace

Does anyone know of a compound or technique that is capable of fully breaking lecithin-bound emulsions? Heating/centrifuge is probably an option, but I don't have easy access at the moment--unless someone in NYC is feeling charitable with their time. :)

Formerly known as "Melange"

I'm sorry nobody has addressed this so far, because I'm curious to know the answer and don't have any idea. Meanwhile, I'm also curious about why you'd want to do this. What am I missing?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You ought to be able to heat it and let it separate on its own without using a centrifuge. After heating put it the thinnest cylindrical vessel that you have...if you could rip off a burette or a separatory funnel from a high school chemistry lab it would work great.

You ought to be able to heat it and let it separate on its own without using a centrifuge. After heating put it the thinnest cylindrical vessel that you have...if you could rip off a burette or a separatory funnel from a high school chemistry lab it would work great.

Erm, they CAN be bought on Ebay, etc. %)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"