• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Damascus Bread & Pastries

Pan

Here's the info:

Damascus Bread & Pastry Shop Limited

195 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11201

(718) 625-7070

After work at Polytechnic U. a few weeks ago, I decided to walk to Atlantic Av. instead of going directly back to Manhattan, as usual. I had a nice, hearty early dinner at the Yemeni restaurant across the street, and followed it with a trip to this great bakery. I bought a little date cake (sorry, I forget the Arabic name), and I loved it so much that I immediately went back with my partially-eaten cake and bought 4 more. It had some rose water in it and some wonderful combination of spices. If you're in the area, you really owe it to yourself to give this place a try. It's just about right next to Sahadi's.

Michael aka "Pan"

The place I'm thinking of _is_ a bakery. Am I confused? I can't remember whether they make their own pita, but they make their own cakes. If I am _not_ confused, then no, I haven't tried the place you're talking about. The place I'm thinking of is definitely a Syrian bakery, so I think I have the name right.

Michael aka "Pan"

The place I'm thinking of _is_ a bakery. Am I confused? I can't remember whether they make their own pita, but they make their own cakes. If I am _not_ confused, then no, I haven't tried the place you're talking about. The place I'm thinking of is definitely a Syrian bakery, so I think I have the name right.

Damascus bakery does sell some other confections including their famous Pita bread.

But the really good store in that area to buy Middle Eastern sweet confections is Oriental Bakery.

On Atlantic Avenue as well, just across the street from Sahadis.

Superb selection.. and made fresh in the back.

The basboussa (semolina cake) is the best you could find in the US. It is the real thing. Made like it would have been by a Syrian grandmother.... moist, full of honey and nuts and delicious beyond belief.

They also have great baklava and with many different fillings.

They also have a fruit and nut basboussa that is decadent.

Oriental Bakery is worth a visit as well.

The best sweets can be had at Waterfalls restaurant on Atlantic Avenue.

I have heard from a reliable source on eGullet that they are great for savory foods.

In fact this source also suggested I try Oriental Bakery for the sweet stuff.

I have been going to Oriental Bakery for 10 years now.

A friend from Lebanon introduced me to it.. I believe many restaurants buy from here and serve as if it was prepared by them.

Maybe the reliable Atlantic Avenue source can chime in and tell us what they think of Waterfalls in comparison to Oriental Bakery.

I have never been to Waterfalls restaurant but have heard amazing things about it.

And if they have exceptional sweets, all the more reason for me to make a new years resolution to get there in the first week. :biggrin:

I go to Waterfalls all the time. I even got all the food I served for a recent party I had from them. I adore their savory food. But their sweets cannot compare to the ones at Oriental Grocery. And the pita at Damascus is good, but it's not the best. Pita Sababa on Kings Highway, for exapmle, has much better pita. Also some other places in Flatbush and Midwood. I like the pastries at Damascus, but I still think Oriental is the best on that strip of Atlantic Ave. - and my favorite all around market there, too.

I go to Waterfalls all the time.  I even got all the food I served for a recent party I had from them.  I adore their savory food.  But their sweets cannot compare to the ones at Oriental Grocery.  And the pita at Damascus is good, but it's not the best.  Pita Sababa on Kings Highway, for exapmle, has much better pita.  Also some other places in Flatbush and Midwood.  I like the pastries at Damascus, but I still think Oriental is the best on that strip of Atlantic Ave. - and my favorite all around market there, too.

Could you have been the source I was referring too?

I go to Waterfalls all the time.  I even got all the food I served for a recent party I had from them.  I adore their savory food.  But their sweets cannot compare to the ones at Oriental Grocery.  And the pita at Damascus is good, but it's not the best.  Pita Sababa on Kings Highway, for exapmle, has much better pita.  Also some other places in Flatbush and Midwood.  I like the pastries at Damascus, but I still think Oriental is the best on that strip of Atlantic Ave. - and my favorite all around market there, too.

I believe so. :biggrin:

I have to get the name of the pita bakery where I have had the best pitas in NYC. I think it's on either Avenue U or Avenue M - I'll find out.

I go to Waterfalls all the time.  I even got all the food I served for a recent party I had from them.  I adore their savory food.  But their sweets cannot compare to the ones at Oriental Grocery.  And the pita at Damascus is good, but it's not the best.  Pita Sababa on Kings Highway, for exapmle, has much better pita.  Also some other places in Flatbush and Midwood.  I like the pastries at Damascus, but I still think Oriental is the best on that strip of Atlantic Ave. - and my favorite all around market there, too.

I believe so. :biggrin:

I have to get the name of the pita bakery where I have had the best pitas in NYC. I think it's on either Avenue U or Avenue M - I'll find out.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you can get the name, that would be great. Always happy finding better pita.

Do any of the Atlantic Avenue pastry shops make the Palestinian sweet, konafe? It is a mixture of white cheese, shredded wheat and other crunchies (usually baked and dyed to an orange crisp), on which is drizzled warm sugar syrup directly from a heated pan. The warm cheese has the consistency of mozzarela, but I don't know the type used. I used to get it in Jaafar's on the lane running from Damascus Gate (right turn at the fork) in the Old City of Jerusalem. I have been promised a trip to Nablus, whence comes the best konafe, but that is not likely in the near future.

Occasionally it is offered in Boston, but it is a faint imitation of the real thing. The crust is not dyed and crisped. It looks and tastes like little more than baked shredded wheat.

Is it available in NY?

The best k'nafe I've had in NYC is on Steinway St. in Astoria, at a bakery called, oh, I can't remember right now. Near 26th Ave., down the block from Mombar and Kabab Cafe.

But in answer to your question, yes, k'nafe is available all over the place in NYC, at various middle eastern places.

Being new to this board, I must say that the discussion is fun. Waterfalls sweets are mede with more TLC than Oriental or Damascus and they melt in your mouth. Try them, you will not be dissapointed. My friend Aziz Said, a UN diplomat turned me on to them and they are authentic and delicious.

But her baklava is often dried out. And there's way too much filo dough for the amount of stuffing. Same with her other baked sweets. At my recent party, we had a tray of pastries - and they went largely uneaten. But all of the savory food from there was gobbled up. Yes, Wa'afa and her mother are amazingly caring people, and great cooks. But there are far better middle eastern desserts to be found, even a within a couple of blocks of them. As I said, their savory food is terrific. They make my absolute favorite hot, lamb-stuffed grape leaf with lemon sauce. And her baba is outta this world. All of her savory dishes are really, really good. I kill for her lamb and spinach stew. And her fatush salad - amazing.

Edited by La Niña (log)

The best k'nafe I've had in NYC is on Steinway St. in Astoria, at a bakery called, oh, I can't remember right now.  Near 26th Ave., down the block from Mombar and Kabab Cafe.

But in answer to your question, yes, k'nafe is available all over the place in NYC, at various middle eastern places.

the bakery on Steinway near Ali's is LaZiza's of New York

They have great cookies and pastries as well Lots of butter, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, etc. besides the usual baklava stuff

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Yes, thank you! Although I thought it was Laziza - no 's' and no capital Z in the middle - but I may be wrong.

And while you're at it, across the street and a little ways down is El Manara - a market and grill place - Egyptian - his sandwiches are outrageously good. And he's a hilarious, friendly guy.

Edited by La Niña (log)

That's funny, I've always found her baklava to be moist, flaky melt in your mouth delicious. She usually guides me to what sweets are the freshest and I chose. Aziz is an old friend of her husbands and they take extra care for me when I arive. Her food is savory and wonderful.

That's funny, I've always found her baklava to be moist, flaky melt in your mouth delicious.  She usually guides me to what sweets are the freshest and I chose.  Aziz is an old friend of her husbands and they take extra care for me when I arive. Her food is savory and wonderful.

Steve, go down the street and have some baklava at Oriental Grocery. It's so much better.

Well, if they'd leave off the gravy and the curds, double fry the frites and give me some fresh mayonaisse to go with, I'd eat poutine too.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM