• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Funny you should say that, the steak rested for 15 minutes and in that time, the juices came from the steak. I left it on the cutting board and when I came back, the juices had run down the cutting board and began to drip on the floor.. By the time I sliced it, the entire board was covered in that juice. I am assuming because it was wagyu and super juicy that this happened. But, yeh, I know not to cut into a steak like that! :cool:

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

The steak was super juicy, it was wagyu. I just think that once the connective tissue or the marbling turned to liquid, there was no place for it to go.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Thanks..What I post here is done for fun. Learned through practice. I also have some nice books, which help. This recipe is from Yannick Alleno's Terroir Parisien. His books and magazines are what I cook from most.

Very cool. Yannick's books all seem to be out of print unfortunately. I'm not too familiar with him.

First time making stuffed squash! A friend gave me a very pretty squash and I hated to cut into it to cook...But tonight, I caved. It was 7C when I got home from work, so, baking in the oven was a good choice!

I had 2 kinds of squash: one was called veg. marrow by the lady who gave it to me. The other one may be a bi-coloured acorn?

The stuffing is ground beef, chopped red bell peppers, garlic, cilantro, onion. The spices were cumin, coriander, chili powder, , and I added a glug of chunky salsa instead of hot sauce, and a can of mixed beans (didn't have black). It was a bit of southwest flavours in the house tonight.

The cheese topping was meant for tacos or nachos, so I thought it would suit.

My first attempt turned out pretty good!

DanielsSquash1180.jpg

BrightProfile1187.jpg

StuffedMarrow1181.jpg

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

was the stuffing pre-cooked? what were the baking times and temps?

looks very interesting.

Yes. The stuffing was done on top of the stove while the halved squash were baking in a 375 F oven for 30 minutes - when they were soft. Then I stuffed the squash, topped them with cheese, and baked for 15 minutes at 325 F for about 15 minutes.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We seldom get decent lamb round here - perhaps some ropey mutton from time to time.

So, tonight's dinner was kind of special.

Lamb with chickpeas and fresh mint (plus onion, garlic, freshly ground cumin and coriander seeds).

Green beans with lemon dressing.

Rice.

Lamb with Mint.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Mexican today.

After guacamole served in stone mortar (no picture), moved to seafood cocktail. Prawns cooked, scallops prepared with lime juice.

seafood cocktail.jpg

Next up enchiladas with Rick Bayless quick mole, homemade frijoles, homemade creme fraiche, and cactus/red onion pickle.

enchilada.jpg

Finished with fish (snapper) Veracruz.

fish vera cruz.jpg

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 4

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

024 (Small).JPG

Grilled sous vide octopus (77°C for 5 hours - as recommended in "Under Pressure" - Thomas Keller) with salsa verde (basil, parsley, oregeano, garlic, olive oil) and potatoes boiled in butter and sherry.

061 (Small).jpg

Stew of wild boar

IMG_8825 (Medium).JPG

Sous vide salmon (43°C - 13 minutes) with cream sauce of paprika, shrimp, sherry, chilli, lemon grass and tomato.

• Like 6

Frittata for dinner tonight. Recipe inspired by Ina Garten's "potato basil frittata".

Potato, sausage, basil, ricotta, gruyere, eggs, S&P, butter, flour, baking powder.

Baked it for about an hour at 350 so it came out nicely browned on top.

Lots of leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

:rolleyes:

(ps. Thanks Ina Garten!!!)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/potato-basil-frittata-recipe/index.html

Frittata.jpg

• Like 3

Did a chicken with a commercial Chinese salted chicken spice mix: (basically salt and 5-spice powder) in The Big Easy - beautiful colour and crispy skin (sounding like a stuck record / CD). I cooked some wild rice 2 days ago. It took forever, so we had it tonight. It didn't have much flavour even though I used half water and half chicken stock. So, I diced up some veg and sauteed it all together with the drippings from the chicken. Good stuff! Did the same thing with green beans.Even hubby ate a few green beans - most unusual for him. :rolleyes:

YeemGoakGai &WildRicePilaf1364.jpg

The little dish was a dip - smoking drippings added to the chopped ginger, cilantro, and some of the spice mix.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Some recent dinners.

---------------------------

• Very thinly sliced Finocchiona; as appetizer munchies.

• Tomato soup. Deseeded deskinned ripe tomatoes, cut-up, juices retained; finely chopped celery & celery leaves, 1 finely sliced small shallot, sautéed in EV olive oil; fresh basil leaves; sea salt; simmered about ¾ hour. Coarsely blended (stick blender). Drizzle of black truffle oil, mixed in.

Cavolini di Bruxelles con aglio e olio.

• Marcella Hazan style tomato sauce – Ripe tomatoes (deskinned, deseeded, juices retained), butter, halved onion, sea salt, only roughly break up tomato pieces, simmer, onion removed. Served on fusilli col buco [Rustichella d’Abruzzo]. I put on a fair bit of sauce, I wanted to savor the sauce as much as the pasta. In honor of her passing.

Gelato al pistacchio [Gooose the Market].

DSCN9621a_1k.jpg

DSCN9622a_1k.jpg

DSCN9625a_1k.jpg

--------------------------------

Harm Choy Tong. Pork spare ribs, chicken breast meat, sour pickled mustard (soaked a bit and drained/squeezed out), tomatoes (canned), sliced ginger, water, a bit of sea salt, a bit of rice vinegar [Kong Yen].

DSCN9638a_1k.jpg

--------------------------------

• Atlantic salmon fillet (farmed); dressed w/ Shaohsing wine (Nuerhong; “Premium Matured”) [Gold Plum], vegetable oil, sea salt, ground white pepper, finely sliced/chopped fresh young ginger, sliced green onions & small fresh oyster mushrooms scattered on both sides and on top; then steamed till just done.

• Young "Taiwan Bok Choy" (台灣白菜) (this is a variety of what would be familiar to USAmericans as "Napa-type cabbage"), stir-fried w/ chopped smashed garlic (Music) & fermented bean curd (fu yee) [Chan Moon Kee].

• White rice (Basmati) [Royal].

DSCN9639a_1k.jpg

DSCN9641a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4