• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

image.jpg

Rather an odd combination but when there's only yourself to please then you might as well please yourself!

Sous vide chuck tender with bottled horseradish and a Vietnamese roll and dipping sauce from lunch.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hello!

It was a prepared one (and not a particularly good one if I'm completely honest, I had to do a lot of work to get the flavours to balance), I've never got round to making my own actually, I find the ingredients fairly expensive. Just a few sticks of lemon grass was £1.50 in the supermarket and the pre-made paste was £1.79 from an Asian supermarket.

I often make half-prepared food, for example I'll get a jar of curry sauce and 'pimp' it up with my own spices, flavourings etc. Other times as with the Peri Peri chicken and ragu I cook completely scratch. Depends how I'm feeling tbh. Although I like to go to the effort of making tasty food, I'm not the type to spend 8 hours putting together 8 separate components for one high end restaurant style dish. I like food that has a good taste to effort ratio, like a simple roast chicken with roasting juices mixed in chicken stock, white wine and a bit of marmalade for sweetness.

When I say 'molasses' it wasn't the American style molasses which resembles British black treacle. It was a kind of dark brown sugar I had lying around in my house that called itself molasses. It was incorporated exactly like you mention. I just browned it off with the chicken at the start and then deglazed with rum. The dish overall is fairly sweet, it also has lime juice and lime zest in it. It's my own version of this recipe. I don't have a sweet tooth, so often find myself using sugar in my savoury dishes. I love fruit with meat for example.

• Like 2

Stephen – Welcome to Dinner! I would be very happy eating at your house . . .

Smoke-grilled Buffalo wings – marinated with Tapatio salsa, lemon juice, garlic, oil, Worcestershire sauce, and S&P. Grilled with apple wood on the Egg; basted and sauced with a mix of melted butter, Tapatio, and Sriracha. Tossed with the sauce after picture time.

p570318357-4.jpg

Blue cheese dressing with jicama sticks (um, it was white - no picture :rolleyes: ) - Blue cheese forced through a mesh and mixed with mayo, sour cream, minced onion, vinegar, S&P, and served with jicama sticks.

Roasted potatoes with rosemary and garlic and an un-pictured salad, both courtesy of Mrs. C.

p950923924-4.jpg

• Like 8

Ann that looks awesome. I've never tried this tbq sauce you speak of. Am I right in thinking it's a mustardy bbq sauce? Unfortunately in England, even London, there is a serious lack of good American barbecue, but I would definitely eat at your restaurant if you ever opened one up =). I love the idea of smoking my own food, salmon, brisket, sausage etc but I've never got round to it. I've read about liquid smoke, but I've never seen it in the UK. Does it impart a decent smokey flavour?

Amazing meals from everyone! Here's the highlights of my past couple of weeks (when I'm not eating cuppa-noodles, that is…) I am absolutely green with envy at the ingredients some of you can get your hands on….

Beef stews of some sort, over cheesy mashed potatoes. Obligatory carrots. The first two are estofado styles, and the third is a seco.

Beef3.jpg

Beef4.jpg

Beef1.jpg

Meat overload pizza on quinua-herb focaccia crust with Andina and Javierino cheeses. This was excellent but so heavy it put all of us to sleep.

Pizza.jpg

Two presentations of Cazon de Leche, a type of shark that runs in our waters. About this more in the Ecuadorian Fishery thread; the steaks were dredged in spiced flour, egged, coated in spiced breadcrumbs, and fried in the bare minimum of sunflower oil.

Cazon4.jpg

Cazon5.jpg

Beef Teriyaki. This one was really good.

Beef2.jpg

Ye olde standby of comfort food, meatloaf, with cheesy scalloped potatoes.

Meatloaf.jpg

And a sort of deconstructed Chicken Cordon Bleu re-imagined as a pasta sauce, using ground chicken and ham shreds in white-wine mushroom cream sauce. It looks kind of like the cat's hangover, but it was delicious.

CkBlu.jpg

• Like 5

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Panaderia – Wow! Wow! Wowwww! I am speechless, except “wow!”

Mm – I think that is a historic dish. First time anyone has paired Jerusalem artichokes with black truffles.

Ann_t – great ribs.

Rotuts – very healthy 15 minute dinner.

Sapidus – you have done good with those wings.

Gfweb – turkey porchetta, what a great idea for the holidays.

Anna N – that is a perfect Sous vide chuck tender . Now everyone will run out and get a sous vide cooker.

Stephen129 – nice dishes to introduce yourself to this forum. Welcome!

Okanagancook – That is a very sophisticated stuffed chicken leg dish.

Basquecook – Delicious ravioli.

Huiray – your Tagliarelle with gorgonzola & walnuts is convincing me to go look for a recipe.

Nickrey – very delightful venison dish.

Franci – You will make Brooklyn famous with your fine cooking.

Shelby – Lucky you! I had pintail duck only one time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yuzu oranges and calamondin oranges from my trees, and chrysanthemum greens from my yard.

dcarch

beef tenden chrysanthemum greens

beeftendenchrysanthemum2_zpsafaa468c.jpg

beeftendenchrysanthemum_zps716970d2.jpg

roast pork with cracklin skin, yuzu flavored

yuzurpastpork_zps8279ff25.jpg

yuzurpastpork3_zps5fd3eac9.jpg

yuzurpastpork2_zps2320400a.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 6

Thanks dcarch, but I have seen the combo in the past. Bernard Pacaud, in particular, who does a veloute of jerusalem artichokes with scallops and black truffle, and similarly roasted with pigeon jus and chopped black truffle.

"Salade empereur"...basically poularde thighs and lobster with Caesar dressing..

HughtURl.png
hpl1Ical.png

c83RYZal.png

• Like 7

dcarch, lovely meals as usual.

Regarding the tagliarelle w/ gorgonzola & walnuts - HEH. Yes, there are various recipes out there, usually with tagliatelle or other relatively "wider" pastas or penne etc. I do this in a manner patterned closely on what Tony Hanslits told me he did - unsalted butter, broken-up shelled walnuts tossed in the melted/heated butter, gorgonzola dolce (I use a generous amount), heavy/whipping cream (enough to keep everything together and add some "liquidity" but NOT the large amounts given in some recipes out there) (p.s.: half-and-half does not work properly, IMO), heat through/gently simmer to melt & meld, toss my al dente pasta in, stir around and fold in, serve and eat immediately. I like the clear and straightforward taste of the simple combination of minimal ingredients. No scallions, no grated parmesan, no black pepper, i.e. nothing else. At least that is what I do. I know this might also come over as 'redundant' to some, but good quality ingredients (all) that I can get - within reason - affects the taste of this dish a lot. I've tried it with cheap generic-supermarket-chain "gorgonzola" before and regretted it.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

DInner tonight:

Turkey Burger w Breville'd Acorn Squash

Acorn Squash was sliced in 1/2, seeded then Micro'd until tender. Cooled a bit, and scooped out.

flesh was placed on 1/4 sheet pan on parchment paper then 'Breville'd' under the BV broiler:

SquashBV.jpg

to dry out a bit and add a little color. Essence of burned parchment paper filled the cooking space.

Turkey Burger was saute'd with Sauer's Prime Roast Beef rub, deglazed with Eau d Tap w some butter:

TB Squash.jpg

My Cat seems to have developed a late afternoon taste for TJ's lower shelf Chardonnay. None left for the pan.

green onions, bit of butter on the Squash Sur la Plate and a few drops of TJ's Raw Blue Agave syrup.

Im a fan of Turkey Burger over beef.

was quite good. would have been 10 times better with the TJ's Chard. deglaze. Have to keep and eye on the cat from now on.

No SV bags were used nor destroyed w tonight's dinner. :huh:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

Shrimp coated in egg and milk and then in an equal mixture of flour and panko. Served with sriracha-spiked mayo.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, all, for the very kind comments.

I had plans for tonight, but Mrs. C was well-fed at her book club so I made guy food for younger son and I - spaghetti and meatballs with jazzed-up spaghetti sauce, and frozen peas with butter and thyme. Younger son was just as happy as if I had spent way more than 20 minutes on dinner . . .

Paul - that looks really good. What is it? :laugh:

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

Sous vide duck breast over stir-fried bok choy and shiitakes topped with crispy home-made shallots.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog