• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Happy Thanksgiving all!

-----------------------------------------

I made a few dishes for Thanksgiving, pictures posted here:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146078-thanksgiving-2013-menus/

Tempura, (gluten-free)

Deep fried tofu, mushroom sauce (Vegetarian)

Challah (6 braided strands)

Sous vided and deep fried squabs with wild rice chestnut stuffing (gluten-free!), fairytale eggplants and braised carats

Sous vide London Broil steak, on Violetto d' Albenga asparagus

----------------------------------

dcarch

• Like 2

Looks good to me Anna - are those tofu-shirataki noodles?

Yes, they are.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's a few photo's from the past week.

Seafood gumbo

P1020266(1).JPG

Sous vide turkey porchetta from Seriouseats.com

P1020286(1).JPG

P1020287(1).JPG

Postage stamp ravioli with robiola cheese.

P1020276(1).JPG

P1020312(1).JPG

I'm still working on the roasted cauliflower

P1020284(1).JPG

Lamb ribs

P1020302(1).JPG

Salmon cured with a little kashmiri curry

P1020304(1).JPG

• Like 11

Steve Irby: Is there a particular reason why the cauliflower must be roasted whole? I do mine as cauliflower steaks and they cook evenly and have browning on the whole "steak" from contact with the pan.

I've been marking essays and exams all day and getting frustrated by stupidity, so decided to cook something a little more time consuming to let off some steam.

The new e-version of Saveur arrived in my email, so I made Chicken Dopiaza - Chicken and Onion Curry. It was great, served with basmati rice with jeera and whole peppercorns, and steamed green beans.

Had a bowl of vegetable soup, Chinese style with pork rib stock, bok choy, carrots, celery, and ginger while supper was simmering.

Chinese Veg Soup1779.jpg

Chicken Dopiaza1801.jpg

Chicken Dopiaza Plated1804.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Im not that big a fan of NYC. etc.

but Paisano's might make me change my mind.

so ... how/s the alligator? it's my limited understanding one goes for the tail. N.B.: limited.

might be a candidate yet for the SV.

very pleased Paisano's not within walking distance of me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

No photos as we were cooking for people and it was a semi business dinner. We catered a wedding this weekend so, we had a lot of fun things leftover to cook with.

Leftover cheeses and vegetables and dip to start.

We started with the left over soup in little pretty butterfly espresso cups. It was a fall soup of sweet potato, carrots, onions, apple and squash. Roasted, blended, finished with cream and maple syrup.

Then we had an extra tin of jumbo lump crab. Stopped by Chinatown on the way home. Picked up lo mein noodles. Replicated the Crustacean Garlic Noodles and Crab. 10 cloves of garlic with one shallot sweated in butter. Added a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, then fish sauce, chile flakes, then soy sauce, then the noodles then the crab and some salted water. Scallions to finish. This is really delicious.

I have this large container filled with leftover foie gras chunks.

11184263815_b62fb565fa.jpg

So, I deboned a couple of game hens, pan seared and then tossed in an oven. Made a foie gras gravy, foie, butter, demi glace, red wine, shot of cream, shot of lemon, some black pepper. Served with roasted potatoes and a kale salad with leftover pomegranit seed yogurt dressing.

For dessert, we had saved some of this maple marscapone cheesecake filling that we had made and cooked mini cakes in a water bath.

Put together a pretty nice dinner in about an hour.

Oh and this is a dinner I cooked the other night

http://yijiagu.com/2013/11/27/hello-again-ny-bite-club/

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

image.jpg

Korean pork belly from Modernist Cuisine @ Home.

The rest of my eveving will be spent nursing grease splatter burns and attempting to clean the grease off just about every surface in my kitchen. Do not attempt this at home if you are a wus. Even after careful drying this pork is it's own version of artillery.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Steve Irby: Is there a particular reason why the cauliflower must be roasted whole? I do mine as cauliflower steaks and they cook evenly and have browning on the whole "steak" from contact with the pan.

I've been marking essays and exams all day and getting frustrated by stupidity, so decided to cook something a little more time consuming to let off some steam.

The new e-version of Saveur arrived in my email, so I made Chicken Dopiaza - Chicken and Onion Curry. It was great, served with basmati rice with jeera and whole peppercorns, and steamed green beans.

Had a bowl of vegetable soup, Chinese style with pork rib stock, bok choy, carrots, celery, and ginger while supper was simmering.

attachicon.gifChinese Veg Soup1779.jpg

attachicon.gifChicken Dopiaza1801.jpg

attachicon.gifChicken Dopiaza Plated1804.jpg

No particular reason. The cauliflower is cooked sous vide with white wine, olive oil, butter, roasted garlic and red pepper flakes which adds additional flavor prior to roasting. The whole head also makes a nice presentation and retains its warmth.

• Like 2

Steve Irby: What did you think of the Turchetta? Did you cool it before you fried it?

I thought it was a terrific recipe and the flavor has improved after a couple of days of rest. I prepped the turkey two days before thanksgiving and used Active RM to bind the skin and meat. After removing the tenderloins I dusted them with the Activa and formed a nice little roll that I seasoned with cajun seasoning and cooked at the same time. The breast went pretty much from the circulator to the fryer which was a wok.

Franci, I gather these are the buns from Modena described here?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescentina_modenese&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcrescentine%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

They look absolutely delicious... and perfect with salumi... do you add the lard as described in the wikipedia article?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Korean pork belly from Modernist Cuisine @ Home.

The rest of my eveving will be spent nursing grease splatter burns and attempting to clean the grease off just about every surface in my kitchen. Do not attempt this at home if you are a wus. Even after careful drying this pork is it's own version of artillery.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Thy look like there worth the scars.

• Like 1

Steve Irby: What did you think of the Turchetta? Did you cool it before you fried it?

I thought it was a terrific recipe and the flavor has improved after a couple of days of rest. I prepped the turkey two days before thanksgiving and used Active RM to bind the skin and meat. After removing the tenderloins I dusted them with the Activa and formed a nice little roll that I seasoned with cajun seasoning and cooked at the same time. The breast went pretty much from the circulator to the fryer which was a wok.

That's interesting. I made the same for our Thanksgiving. I went basically from the circulator to the wok, and I found that by the time it was fried (about 8 minutes total), that the interior was overcooked. I noticed later that the recipes calls for putting the turchetta into an ice bath for 5 minutes, or running it under cool water for 10 before frying. I don't think this step was emphasized enough, and I was wondering if that was my problem, but it sounds like you did the same as I did and it was just fine.

Franci, I gather these are the buns from Modena described here?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescentina_modenese&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcrescentine%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

They look absolutely delicious... and perfect with salumi... do you add the lard as described in the wikipedia article?

Yes, Patrick! The article is quite detailed. I wish I tried the original made in the fireplace with terracotta molds.

This time I didn't add lard, used flour, yeast, salt, extra virgin olive oil and milk. But in the past I made them with a mix of yeast and baking powder (something I also found in Chinese breads), with lard, cream. They are convenient to keep frozen.

• Like 2

Various recent dinners.

------------------------

Dinner

• More of the rice congee from breakfast, dressed w/ fried shallots, chopped scallions; plus a bit of Himalayan salt.

• Broccoli florets & romaine lettuce heart, blanched in oiled boiling water. Drained, dressed w/ oyster sauce [LKK] & ground white pepper.

DSCN0008a_1k.jpg

------------------------

Late dinner

• Japanese amberjack (hamachi) fillets; marinated w/ a little Shaohsing wine, oil, rice wine, sea salt, mirin; then steamed in the marinade w/ sliced scallions & ginger.

• Pea shoots stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN0019b_1k.jpg

---------------------------

Late dinner

• Short-cut pork spare ribs steamed w/ garlic black bean paste [LKK], julienned ginger, sliced long hot green chillies (deseeded); dressed w/ chopped scallions.

• Stir-fried Taiwan bok choy.

• White rice.

DSCN0043a_1k.jpg

----------------------------

Dinner

Babi Assam (Pork in Tamarind) – after the recipe on pg 39 of “Irene’s Peranakan Recipes”.

• Trimmed Chinese long beans (Vigna unguiculata ssp. sesquipedalis) stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice.

DSCN0047a_1k.jpg

------------------------------

Early dinner

Fuzzy melon (mo qua; Yale Cantonese mou4 gwa1; 毛瓜) (a.k.a. chit qua; Yale Cantonese jit3 gwa1, 節瓜) a.k.a. Hairy Gourd. De-skinned, sliced into large chunks. In short-cut pork spare ribs stock/soup w/ sautéed garlic, plus cellophane noodles (fun see; 粉絲) [Long Kow] towards the end of the cooking time.

DSCN0070b_1k.jpg

---------------------------------

Late dinner

• Stir-fried shrimp.

Harm Choy Tong (salty/sour Mustard soup) w/ chicken legs, tomatoes, ginger, salt, a bit of extra rice vinegar.

• White rice.

Wild American shrimp marinated w/ salt & sugar, then stir-fried with sliced garlic & vegetable oil till just barely cooked. Reserved. Sliced de-seeded hot long green chillies, sliced shallots, more sliced garlic tossed in the pan residues (plus more oil) for a minute or two; then a mixture of hoisin sauce [LKK], Shaohsing wine [Gold Plum], “Aged Kimlan Soy Sauce”, Worcestershire sauce [bull Dog], tomato ketchup [Heinz “Just Heinz”], dash of sweet mirin, fresh ground black pepper, vegetable oil, bit of sesame oil [Dragonfly], and I forget if anything else went into it…added in and the mixture stirred around on high heat for a minute or two. The reserved shrimp were added back in and the mixture tossed around very briefly and served immediately.

What you see on the plate pictured is just a portion of the whole shebang, with minimal sauce spooned onto the dish. More sauce from the pan got dumped on the rice after the photo. ;-)

DSCN0073a_1k.jpg

-------------------------------------

Dinner

• Pan-fried sockeye salmon fillet, de-skinned.

• Salmon skin chips.

• Fresh shiitake mushrooms sautéed w/ garlic & parsley.

DSCN0078a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 8

Another rare foray here.

I stumbled upon organic, grass-fed ribeye for $10 for 10 oz the other day, so leapt upon it.

1454842_992186059391_1217307953_n.jpg

Seared in cast iron with a garlic and butter baste, which was then used to sear brussels sprouts and maitake mushrooms. To the latter I applied TJ's balsamic glaze, and to the former, leftover thanksgiving gravy thinned out with some Dolin rouge.

To paraphrase the Dos Equis guy, "I don't often eat red meat, but when I do, god damn!"

• Like 5

Tonight 55C steamed salmon with sweet and sour dried apricot sauce (with rice vinegar, mirin and cointreau), curried cauliflower puree, crispy salmon skin sprinkled with with curry, crispy fried shallots and some seeweed. I served a bowl of rice on the side. It was explosion of flavours but somehow they all worked together.

Salmon with curried cauliflower.jpg

• Like 3

"" sweet and sour dried apricot sauce ""

im a keen fan of dried apricots. i grew up in Los Altos CA early on during the '50's. on 1 1/2 acre plot of apricots. we dried many and others came in and dried the rest.

i developed a taste for the sour w a hint of sweet.

( BTW that same plot now has at lest 10 houses on it at a few mill a piece ! ) so ...

please point me in the direction of that Sauce. I still get slab apricots at TJ's and dry them out further until

they are almost like delicious shoe leather.

cheers. and Im a big fan of salmon too !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1