• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

First post ever in this thread. Had plenty of other dinners to post but never felt the urge until this one. Put a lot of thought into it and always love making a fantastic stock and creating something equally amazing from it.

Roasted chicken (roasted in a toaster oven!), glazed baby carrots, and mashed potatoes with gravy made from that homemade chicken stock. The chicken stock is incredible. Got it out of the fridge this morning after making it last night and it was basically jello. Wonderful.

Cream of Walnut Soup for dessert!

image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Bojana, bone marrow sauce? Do tell, please!

Simple. Soaked beef marrow in cold water for 24 h, pushed it out, cubed, salt and pepper, few seconds in hot pan till about 1/3 melts away, then out of pan, good reduced stock in the pan to emulsify with rendered fat, salt, splash f sherry vinegar and cubes back in to glaze, then serve.

• Like 1

That looks a rock lobster, right Nick? To me they are much more delicious than the American lobster. I've not had in a while and it bet here much more expensive then Europe. I go for natural, no doubt!

Hi Franci,

Yes it was a rock lobster from Tasmania (we call them crayfish). Cost for each was around 22 Euro.

The natural was delicious with some lemon and a smidgin of mary-rose sauce, if desired, but so was the thermidor. It was a very subtle thermidor, not the cheesy white sauce horror that some restaurants serve. The lobster was already cooked so I sealed the half tails sous vide and heated them briefly in 50C water. I then put down some warm béchamel in the shell, topped it with the warmed and cut up meat, then more béchamel, then some grated parmesan and browned under the grill (broiler).

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

image.jpg

Chicken in Kerala curry sauce (from Modernist Cuisine @ Home) and frozen spinach.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's a couple appetizers from dinner last night. Boudin balls and roasted cauliflower. The cauliflower is cooked sous vide then browned under the broiler. It's served with a goat feta spread. The recipe is from Domenica in New Orleans. The goat feta spread is the bomb.

P1020264(1).JPG

• Like 3

Here's a couple appetizers from dinner last night. Boudin balls and roasted cauliflower. The cauliflower is cooked sous vide then browned under the broiler. It's served with a goat feta spread. The recipe is from Domenica in New Orleans. The goat feta spread is the bomb.

Steve, that appears to be a ralatively small cauliflower. Can you share time and temp for the SV step? Have previously attempted a whole cauliflower SV and it certainly needed much longer or a higher temperature. Thank you.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Steve, that appears to be a ralatively small cauliflower. Can you share time and temp for the SV step? Have previously attempted a whole cauliflower SV and it certainly needed much longer or a higher temperature. Thank you.

The cauliflower was relatively small. I took my largest pouch (12" x 12") to the grocery store to be sure I selected one that would fit. I cooked the eggplant for about 40 minutes at a temp between 175-185. I used a stockpot over a gas burner since I felt the cauliflower wouldn't be very temp sensitive and used a plate to keep it submerged. After it was cooked it was held in the hot water until it was time to broil. I going to try this again on Thanksgiving and go for more caramelization.

Whitefish pate – smoked whitefish, cream cheese, crème fraiche, butter, mustard powder, Chinese chives, black pepper, and roasted Poblano chile. Served with crackers and raw Belgian endive spears. We will definitely make this again.

p59529872-4.jpg

Browned Savoy cabbage with bacon, ham, and onions – cooked down with chicken stock.

p394220675-4.jpg

• Like 6

SI:

" goat feta spread "

If possible Id like to hear more about this. i assume " bomb " is good?

as compared to " bombed " ??

Here's the link. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-whipped-goat-cheese I'm going to make the spread later today and substitute robiola for the feta and use it as a filling in ravioli. It definitely didn't bomb.

The cauliflower was relatively small. I took my largest pouch (12" x 12") to the grocery store to be sure I selected one that would fit. I cooked the eggplant for about 40 minutes at a temp between 175-185. I used a stockpot over a gas burner since I felt the cauliflower wouldn't be very temp sensitive and used a plate to keep it submerged. After it was cooked it was held in the hot water until it was time to broil. I going to try this again on Thanksgiving and go for more caramelization.

Have either of you had access to mini-cauliflowers like these? ;-) [i got these from a certain grower at my local Farmers' Market]

DSCN0029a_1k.jpg

• Like 3

Black chicken in dark soy sauce

black_chicken_zps7456eca5.jpg

black_chicken_cooked_zpsa56236cf.jpg

black_chicken_dark_soy_zps65d151fc.jpg

So little rice? :shock: I would need at least five times as much, or more.

Have you tried double-steaming black chicken in broth/water (which becomes broth) w/ various Chinese herbs?

Shrimp vindaloo – cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and onions fried with a vinegary paste of garlic, ginger, fenugreek leaves, red pepper, ground cumin, ground black mustard seed, and turmeric. Add pureed tomato, reduce, and finish with shrimp and cilantro. Yum.

Green basmati rice – with pureed spinach, fenugreek leaves, cilantro, green chile, and S&P, finished with garam masala. Fresh fenugreek leaves were a pleasant find at the Asian market.

p486373438-4.jpg

• Like 3

Have either of you had access to mini-cauliflowers like these? ;-) [i got these from a certain grower at my local Farmers' Market] attachicon.gifDSCN0029a_1k.jpg
Don't I wish. I know Kerry Beal was able to source one like those at the market in Little Current on Manitoulin Island this past summer.
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Patric, thanks! I've always wondered what a Silkie looks like plucked. How was the flavour?

Here is a plucked silkie.

silkie.jpg

And here it is butchered (to show the meat).

silkie2.jpg

I usually only use them for soups. Not much meat on them, but good flavour in stocks and soups.

Last night was duck. Slow braised in Kriek (Belgian cherry beer), with garlic, star anise, vinegar (to offset some of the sweetness of the beer), fish sauce, chilli, ginger. Also had a few sprigs of cauliflower which needed using up, so they went in for a short time near the end.

duck in kriek.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Those silkies are so cool. I wish I could try one sometime.

A couple of meals:

Shrimp alfredo with some broccoli, shiitake mushrooms and red vinegar spinach

Image 1.jpg

I don't know the exact name of this….but I finally got my hands on some ground pork (I had NO idea how hard this is to find) so did a stir fry of sorts with it including garlic, mushrooms, peppers, onions and carrots mixed with some hoisin and ginger. I served this on lettuce along with fried rice and egg rolls.

Image 3.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image.jpg

• Like 6