• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Thanks. It is fregola sarda, which is a tiny pearl shaped pasta from Sardinia, cooked like a risotto. You sweat some onion with diced marrow, then add the fregola to toast, and then chicken stock. You finish with parmesan, a spoon of artichoke puree, white truffle butter, and whipped cream.

• Like 3

Couple of simple dinners.

• Remainder of the beef & veal sauce from the previous day’s lunch (see here), doctored up w/ more sliced ginger and a few dashes/quick pours of this-and-that sauce and re-simmered for a little bit. Eaten w/ min6 sin3 (a.k.a. mee sua) [this brand] and plenty of chopped scallions.

• Fresh watercress wilted in chicken broth.

attachicon.gifDSCN9890a_1k.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9893a_1k.jpg

• Bauernschinken, coarse Braunschweiger, pressed tongue, semolina bread, butter, local coarse mustard w/ jalapenos.

attachicon.gifDSCN9912a_1k.jpg

May I ask., where did you get the Braunschweiger? I love it and but have never found a coarse one.Would be interested in trying this.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

'Tis me again :biggrin:

My husband shot a limit (2) of pin tail ducks on Sunday. Pin tails are like Teal only better. More tender….even less "gamey". Delicious. Here they are marinating in some poultry type seasoning after being brushed with olive oil. I then roasted them beginning at 450 degrees and then reducing to 425 after putting them in the oven. Took about 17-20 mins.

Image 2.jpg

Along with we had stewed, breaded tomatoes

Image 3.jpg

Farfalle pasta with shiitake mushrooms and spinach tossed with black truffle oil and parm cheese

Image.jpg

My husbands plate

Image 1.jpg

I had the same only tinier portions. Way tinier :angry: damn dieting. But, I was stuffed afterwards. Very rich and filling.

• Like 12

tonight was a mix match of meals.. we were making sardines for dinner. Sardines and a salad.. But, last minute, inlaws came over. we started with the leftover pate, i had a ball of ricotta hanging in cheesecloth for a day.. so, i just baked the ball in a 400 degree oven for an hour. roasted and breaded clams, brussel sprouts, bought steaks, roasted leftover squash and miss a made a key lime pie.

sardines:

10812431355_71378850e7.jpg

sardines grilled served with watercress salad.

10811801855_9966651554.jpg

Plain old baked ricottoa

10812403955_956c8535ce.jpg

clams prebaked

10812639436_778b6595f9.jpg

more steak and bone marrow:

10812562224_d031c93c26.jpg

happy inlaws, happy wife, happy life. life is good

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Couple of simple dinners.

• Remainder of the beef & veal sauce from the previous day’s lunch (see here), doctored up w/ more sliced ginger and a few dashes/quick pours of this-and-that sauce and re-simmered for a little bit. Eaten w/ min6 sin3 (a.k.a. mee sua) [this brand] and plenty of chopped scallions.

• Fresh watercress wilted in chicken broth.

attachicon.gifDSCN9890a_1k.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9893a_1k.jpg

• Bauernschinken, coarse Braunschweiger, pressed tongue, semolina bread, butter, local coarse mustard w/ jalapenos.

attachicon.gifDSCN9912a_1k.jpg

May I ask., where did you get the Braunschweiger? I love it and but have never found a coarse one.Would be interested in trying this.

I got it from Claus' German Sausage & Meats.

'Tis me again :biggrin:

My husband shot a limit (2) of pin tail ducks on Sunday. Pin tails are like Teal only better. More tender….even less "gamey". Delicious. Here they are marinating in some poultry type seasoning after being brushed with olive oil. I then roasted them beginning at 450 degrees and then reducing to 425 after putting them in the oven. Took about 17-20 mins.

...I had the same only tinier portions. Way tinier :angry: damn dieting. But, I was stuffed afterwards. Very rich and filling.

Shelby, I have duck envy. :wub::laugh:

It all looks delicious. Thanks for posting the pics.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's an iPhone picture taken by one of the guests so not as clear as it possibly could be.

The pear has a round of bacon pannacotta topped by a duxelle of bacon, mushroom, and onion with strawberry vinegar. Recipe is in Eleven Madison Park cookbook. Daniel Humm serves it with brussels sprouts and black mushrooms. I decided to remove both these elements and add the goat's curd and beetroot. These go very well with the pear and venison respectively. Eating elements of the dish in various combinations gives a coherent whole that can change from mouthful to mouthful.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

A pasta pigout last night. Tagliarelle with gorgonzola & walnuts. I learned to love this dish with the version at the former Tavola di Tosa (I loved the place). Had seconds, then was too full for the other stuff I had intended to cook. :-)

DSCN9944a_1k.jpg

• Like 8

Due to my weird sleep schedule, i was up two nights ago around 4 am. I was inspired to make ravioli filling with some ground veal and rabbit livers I had in the fridge. added onion, garlic, tomato paste, Chinese Cooking wine, milk, parm and thyme. After the filling was done, i made the pasta dough, then some lunches a breakfast and there was nothing left to cook in the house.

Got home last night around 730 after a beautiful sunset

10831323834_be5c4a35a9_n.jpg

and made the ravioli.

10831089015_0362e517af.jpg

Served with a butter sage sauce:

10831247184_14a9ae19cf.jpg

Roasted snapper and broccoli rabe:

10831231954_824968ec5c.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 6

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Made Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) from July 2012 issue of Saveur. I get these emails from the mag and get inspired to try something new every so often.

The recipe called for boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I used both breasts and thighs. It also called for shredding the meat after the browning, then adding the shredded meat to the sauce for the final simmer. I am not a great one for shredded meat in sauce, so I opted to leave the meat in chunks. Hindsight, I think the meat would have picked up more of the flavour if shredded, but it was still delicious. I could just eat the sauce!

Guisado de Pollo Chicken Stew1726.jpg

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Made Guisado de Pollo (Chicken and Potato Stew) from July 2012 issue of Saveur. I get these emails from the mag and get inspired to try something new every so often.

Dejah,

Just had to look this recipe up and discovered I have every ingredient except the espazote/cilantro which I would omit anyway. But what really clinched it for me was that the recipe header said it could be made with any leftover meat and I just happen to have leftover pork in the freezer! Been anxiously watching out for some way to use it up and this fits the bill. Now if my family will hold off on their minor dramas for a few hours I will dive in and make it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice looking snappers basquecook and ravioli, impressive.

Here are my two snappers which will feed us for several days

Posted Image

My wife is not as much a fan of whole fish so these were broken down but everything will get used. I have the pressure cooker working a batch now with shrimp shells and will get another batch going without shrimp for those who keep semi kosher.

Tonight I'm doing a repeat of a fish and shrimp soup I did recently. It wowed me enough to want it again

• Like 3

Hope it works for you, Anna. :smile:

BTW...who has the Big Easy? You or Kerry Beal?

I think it would have been so much better with fresh meat. I was handed the pork some time ago by my son-in-law. It came from a pig roast and was already drying out. My instinct as he handed it to me was to bin it. But I said I'd try to do something with it. Should have followed my instinct.

The BE remained on Mantoulin Island awaiting our return.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I boned a chicken, except the wings, cut the pieces into chunks then prepared the dark meat for Japanese fried chicken (soy sauce, sake, etc) and the white meat went into some buttermilk. Later the dark meat was breaded with potato flour and the white meat breaded in seasoned flour and both were fried. Meanwhile I made stock with the back and bones. It isn't a very good picture but here it is with zucchini sauteed with tomatoes, garlic and basil.

That's ginger ale in the glass and the dish is a replica of the service they used on the Super Chief Santa Fe train which had a Southwestern route.

DSCN0955_zpsc17c234e.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4

Beef kabobs with chimichurri – Marinated cubed strip steak in half of the chimichrri (two bunches of parsley, oregano, garlic, jalapenos, red chile flakes, and S&P, pureed with olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice). Charcoal-grilled kabobs to medium-rare and served with the remaining chimichurri.

p226554380-4.jpg

Cider-braised endive – with butter, thyme, S&P, and apple cider, cooked down to a glaze. This was remarkably good for minimal effort. Store-bought bread and leftover salad, with chimichurri as bread dip and salad dressing.

p127832371-4.jpg

• Like 8

Thai Green Curry with chicken, purple aubergines and pineapple

2qk0xt0.jpg

15nayio.jpg

Nasi Goreng with shrimp, fried egg and kecap manis

11gm5b4.jpg

Fettuccine alla ragu

2dienfp.jpg

Little gem wedge salad with shallots, anchovies and anchovy dressing

288z6ue.jpg

Slow cooked minted lamb curry, paratha, mint raita, lime pickle, mango chutney

ornh9l.jpg

Spatchcocked chicken with homemade Peri Peri sauce and roasted onions

2lkb23c.jpg
xm3bfb.jpg
Apple Charlotte with cinnamon and cream
25u6vxh.jpg

Asian style salmon with choi sum in chilli bean sauce

2q9j677.jpg

Caribbean brown chicken stew with molasses, scotch bonnets and rum

nl6cs6.jpg
  • Like 11

Welcome Stephen. I am completely on board with all your dishes.

Do you make your own green curry paste or use a prepared one? Also the Carib brown chicken stew intrigues me. I know some of the islands use a "burnt sugar" base as a flavoring and browning agent. How was the molasses incorporated, and did it just round out the flavors or is it a fairly sweet dish?

• Like 1