• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

Shellfish tart

stuuyO3l.png
Turbot with cauliflower
z0eTRkTl.png

Getting caught up here and I must tell you, that is about the most delicious fish dish I have seen. Actually much

more tempting than the Turbot dish I had at Le Cirque two weeks ago. Sadly I rarely can get Turbot here in Spokane.

Your turbot looks so thick compared to what I get. I am wondering if I am incorrectly translating the name of the fish and eating something else entirely. May I ask how much the whole fish weighed, if you know?

It's my all time favorite fish.

EnriqueB

"----A couple of questions: About how long do you boil the skin? And, what's the purpose of the pizza stone if it is cold and you put the meat side on it? To keep the meat cold so it does not overcook?"

Thank you.

You can boil the skin for a while to make sure it is well cooked. The fact that the meat is frozen, and for pork belly, which has a very thick layer of insulating fat under the skin prevents the meat from being overcooked.

Yes, the pizza stone is for insulation the meat from the 400F heat. But it is not absolutely required. The baking time to puff up the skin is very short, and the aluminum foil acts as a heat reflector.

dcarch

Shellfish tart

stuuyO3l.png
Turbot with cauliflower
z0eTRkTl.png

Getting caught up here and I must tell you, that is about the most delicious fish dish I have seen. Actually much

more tempting than the Turbot dish I had at Le Cirque two weeks ago. Sadly I rarely can get Turbot here in Spokane.

Your turbot looks so thick compared to what I get. I am wondering if I am incorrectly translating the name of the fish and eating something else entirely. May I ask how much the whole fish weighed, if you know?

It's my all time favorite fish.

Yes. This one was 7 pounds. The fillet in the picture came from just by the head, which is the thickest part of the fish. The largest turbot I've cooked was 13 pounds. I cut it into steaks and cooked it on marrow bones for a dinner party of 10.

Hi ya'll :biggrin:

Pho

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Salad. Going to be eating lots of these.

Image 7.jpg

Venison chili

Image 9.jpg

Rueben and tots

Image 5.jpg

Taco salad. Sorry about my hand. Apparently I was starving and needed to reach for my fork immediately.

Image 6.jpg

More of my birthday Foie

Image 8.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Best use ever for supermarket rotisserie chicken! Cold chicken with spicy Sichuanese sauce from Dunlop's Land of Plenty. (I served it over some torn romaine to "bulk" it out without adding too many carbs or calories.)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The hubby and I are spending a weekend at the Roycroft Inn in East Aurora, NY - a lovely place to enjoy Arts and Crafts style furniture and such.

We opted to eat in the hotel both nights rather than wander further afield - and the meals did not disappoint.

I started last nights dinner with a squash and apple bisque.

DSCN2323.jpg

I followed with a Berkshire porterhouse - with raisin and pine nut relish. There were lovely salty pancetta chips on there as well.

DSCN2326.jpg

Hubby opted for oven roasted chicken breast with a fresh mozzarella, basil and tomato salad.

DSCN2324.jpg

Tonight's dinner started with a tomato and gin soup.

DSCN2333.jpg

Salad for hubby.

DSCN2331.jpg

White lasagna with grilled veg for hubby.

DSCN2334.jpg

Lamb chops with provencal artichokes and garlic sauce for me. Not enough light to get a focused picture - and I took it 4 times. Flash wouldn't come on for some strange reason.

DSCN2336.jpg

• Like 4

looks really nice Franci. What are you thoughts on SV? How long did it go, did you marinade, how did you finish it.

Basquecook, thanks. I am so new to SV that I am still going with the simplest approach. No marinates, cooked for 6 hrs at 55 C. Finished in a very hot pan with some lard. I would normally use tallow, but I've not had a chance to work on it yet. On the plate only a bit of fleur de sel.

To me, beef cooked SV comes beautifully tender but somewhat leaner and I like the way fat on a well marbled steak taste in a more traditional approach. But I'm still experimenting...

• Like 1

Couple of simple dinners.

• Remainder of the beef & veal sauce from the previous day’s lunch (see here), doctored up w/ more sliced ginger and a few dashes/quick pours of this-and-that sauce and re-simmered for a little bit. Eaten w/ min6 sin3 (a.k.a. mee sua) [this brand] and plenty of chopped scallions.

• Fresh watercress wilted in chicken broth.

DSCN9890a_1k.jpg

DSCN9893a_1k.jpg

• Bauernschinken, coarse Braunschweiger, pressed tongue, semolina bread, butter, local coarse mustard w/ jalapenos.

DSCN9912a_1k.jpg

• Like 2

So, old college friend coming over with her husband. They were arriving at 8, it was my first day off in over a month. I wanted a meal i could start an hour before they came over.

We had a sausage hanging in a kitchen for about a month now, we brought it home from Paris. And we have had this pork pate they told us not to but in the fridge.. Needless to say, i ate a buch of both a couple hours before people came over. I figure, if i get sick, then better me than them. if not and it tastes good, I tell them the story and they can decide to eat it.

10772498744_eed785fe06.jpg

Steak is perfect. And the steak was perfect. dry aged ny strip from Paisano's. little less than 2 lb each.

10767769795_04d3356cb0.jpg

and some bone marrow

10776806154_3e653cc851.jpg

Stopped at the greenmarket and picked up some kale for a salad with the steak and some squash to roast.

With the marrow bones, I made a salad of watercress and a few different types of mustard greens. two purples and a green. make a salad of lemon and olive oil. Served with beautiful toast from Ben Cuit, grilled and rubbed with garlic as well as a Blood Orange Marmalade.

10777083653_030356273a.jpg

We started with a really nice 02 Rioja and then moved to two really nicer Barolo's that my friend brought. Needless to say, i had no trouble sleeping last night. This is an action shot after order had been dissolved.

10777075173_40005c13d8.jpg

Cooked on a burning hot green egg. temp was 125 when i took it off.

10771935305_cc1138041c.jpg

10772004704_89210846e9.jpg

roasted squash

10776824126_f71a90ffe3.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 8

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Mm84321, I just love your sweetbread dishes!

Basquecook, great dinner! now I need to buy bone marrow...Good to know paisano slices it lengthwise,

Tonight we had my PIL for dinner

Spaghetti with clams

image.jpg

Fried shrimps and sole and a romaine, mizuna salad with pickled watermelon radishes

image.jpg

Scallops and watercress image.jpg

• Like 10

Another leftover + poached egg dinner. Seems to be a winning combo. Leftover pickled brisket cooked into a hash with diced potato, peppers, red and white onion, chilli flakes, and salt. Topped with a poached egg, and a very light, dairy free, hollandaise inspired sauce.

image.jpg

• Like 2

Mushroom-potato crema with crab meat and roasted Poblano chile – Mrs. C’s fantastic smoked turkey stock, thickened with potatoes and simmered with sliced shiitake mushrooms, corn, crab meat, and a little heavy cream, and then garnished with cilantro. Definitely having leftovers for breakfast . . .

p179961171-4.jpg

Mexican red rice – with chicken broth, carrots, corn, peas, and mild enchilada sauce. Our usual unpictured salad.

p85508409-4.jpg

• Like 7

Mm84321, I just love your sweetbread dishes!

Basquecook, great dinner! now I need to buy bone marrow...Good to know paisano slices it lengthwise,

Tonight we had my PIL for dinner

Spaghetti with clams

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Fried shrimps and sole and a romaine, mizuna salad with pickled watermelon radishes

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Scallops and watercress attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Scallops and watercress attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Love the watercress with the scallops.. I bought a few bunches this weekend at the greenmarket.. i will serve that with the sardines i bought yesterday. In terms of Paisano doing that, i always kick the guy a couple of bucks after he does it for me. Some are not excited to do it but, they will.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK