• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 5)

patrickamory

This is one of my treasured recipes but I haven't done it in a few years so it was time for an update. I typically dust the prawns with a flour mixture that has a good measure of salt, black pepper and Szechuan peppercorns. This time I used a batter before deep-frying. Both versions of the prawns are very good.

The slaw starts with Napa cabbage dressed with sesame oil, salt, sugar, black sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar, tangerine juice and light soy sauce. This time I added cilantro, (forgot the green onions), and pickled strips of ginger, salted radish strips, chopped fermented mustard greens and these wonderful sweet and sour pickled grapes.

The sauce was a new twist, a simple mixture of Korean chili paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and garlic and ginger.

Deep-Fried Prawns with Korean Hot Sauce and Chinese Cabbage Slaw-

007.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 5

Ann_t – The grilled chicken looks delicious, I am equally impressed with the potato chips.

David Ross – very nice plating.

Huiray – that Shrimp wonton looks better than what I can get in a restaurant.

Sapidus – That’s a nice combination of my favorite fish.

Ptrickamory – You do have a way of making beans appetizing.

Steve Irby – I would not mind having a big plate of your home made sauages.

Kerry Beal – Not photogenic? Your Sopa de Lima can go on a magazine cover.

Franci – different kitchen, still great meals.

Nickrey – very delectable vegetarian dish.

Anna N – Perfectly done striploin.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Smoked chicken with sauteed cantalloupe

Pizza with scallion dough ( Chinese scallion pancake dough)

dcarch

smokechickencantaloupe2_zps202e86b8.jpg

smokechickencantaloupe_zpsf671253c.jpg

scallionpizza2_zpse2ca15f5.jpg

scallionpizza_zpsfe673319.jpg

• Like 5

dcarch

That pizza looks amazing. I take it that the centre is frico with some sort of blossom?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It may be a little subversive to apply Middle Eastern or North African spicing to pork but for me it really works. In this case, a pork chop marinated in

yoghurt and ras el hanout, served with a Persian saffron rice, raita and a hot naga pickle:

20131028.JPG

And as everybody else is doing it, here some Gua Bao. Stuffed with smoked beef rib, pickles and peanuts:

20131019a.JPG

• Like 9

dcarch

That pizza looks amazing. I take it that the centre is frico with some sort of blossom?

Thanks Anna. The pizza dough is made with Chinese scallion pan cake recipe, and the scallions are home-grown. The blossom is a scallion blossom.

Yes, that is frico.

dcarch

• Like 1

Long ago without posting here. But I always check this thread and get lots of ideas, so now that I have downloaded pictures from the last months from my phone, I'll post some of the last dishes, starting with some "typical Spanish".

During the summer we eat andalusian gazpacho and salmorejo cordobés (a more dense version of gazpacho) almost every day:

Gazpacho andaluz, with brunoise of red and green bell peppers, onion, and cucumber

gazpacho_andaluz_primer_plano.JPG

Salmorejo cordobés, with ibérico ham and hard-boiled eggs

salmorejo_cordobes.jpg

And I have also started recently to make paella rices, such as:

Paella rice with squid and hake cheeks

paella-cocochas-merluza.jpg

Paella rice with mallard duck

paella-de-pato-azulon.jpg

Edited by EnriqueB (log)
  • Like 5

Sigma - care to elaborate? :smile:

Mrs. C made pizza dough from scratch, pre-heated cast iron pans, pre-baked the crusts, and then orchestrated make-your own pizza night. Mrs. C topped hers with mozzarella, sliced tomato, broccoli, black olives, Thai basil, and roasted garlic. Younger son had tomato sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella, and cheese.

Mine had my favorite pizza toppings – pickled jalapeno and anchovy – with mozzarella, sliced yellow tomato, Thai basil (the regular basil has already lost its leaves), and a thin layer of tomato sauce. Mrs. C did a fantastic job on the crust!

p666649638-4.jpg

• Like 4

A riff on tôm sốt cà chua. (prawns in tomato sauce)

There is a bit of a back-story to this and why I made it, which can be gleaned by taking a look here. I took a look around and used a simple, straightforward recipe (this one; Google translation), added more ginger, used sliced shallots instead, made more sauce, and added lots of trimmed scallions towards the end. Eaten simply with white rice. It was tasty. :-)

DSCN9886a_1k.jpg

• Like 3

huiray,

I am looking at the translated recipe you linked to and see a can of what appears to be tomato sauce although the recpie calls for ketchup. Here in Canada tomato sauce usually comes in cans and ketchup in bottles so I am curious to know if the contents of the can are seasoned like a brand name ketchup, Heinz for example, or like tomato sauce which generally has only salt added.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, I used good ol' "Simply Heinz" Tomato Ketchup. :-)

But w.r.t. your question, I don't use tomato paste (sauce) that often and don't have an actual can on hand that I can find without digging too deep into my cupboard but IIRC many will be just tomatoes, some will have salt added, some will have some spices added - but no, they will not have the extra sugar & vinegar etc added to ketchup.

p.s. "sốt cà chua" should really be simply "tomato sauce", I think.

p.p.s. Mind you, the word "ketchup" has several theories about its origin, including the Chinese term for a kind of sauce. :-)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Anna N, I used good ol' "Simply Heinz" Tomato Ketchup. :-)

But w.r.t. your question, I don't use tomato paste (sauce) that often and don't have an actual can on hand that I can find without digging too deep into my cupboard but IIRC many will be just tomatoes, some will have salt added, some will have some spices added - but no, they will not have the extra sugar & vinegar etc added to ketchup.

p.s. "sốt cà chua" should really be simply "tomato sauce", I think.

p.p.s. Mind you, the word "ketchup" has several theories about its origin, including the Chinese term for a kind of sauce. :-)

Tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato passata, ketchup, all the names seem to be interchangeable depending on where you live. And it doesn't have to be continents apart! I have a mental picture of what I mean by each of these terms but it doesn't always vie with other peoples picture. And using tomato paste in place of either ketchup or tomato sauce can lead to disaster. Thanks for sharing that you used Heinz!

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for years while hiding in the background. Thank you for all the inspiration, information, and food (for thought and admiration). I am mainly posting to say just that, but while I'm here, I thought it only right to post my dinner from this evening which was just a very quickly thrown together meal of leftovers. Not a particularly impressive first post, or photo, but tasty nonetheless!

Leftover brown coconut rice, with sautéed red onion, spinach, chard, and dried chili flakes. Poached egg topped with some fleur de sel and smoked jalapeño flakes on top.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Tonight we had a childhood favorite of mine: pasta, noisette butter, sage and pancetta. One of the northerner Italian comfort food, an alternative to aglio e olio.

SV salmon lightly grilled under the broiler, still not getting it right and sauté tsatsoi

image.jpg

• Like 3

If you follow this topic

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/132193-the-ladies-who-lunch/?p=1939921

Then you'll know I was in an International store today where I found this lovely amaranth:

image.jpg

I have never cooked or eaten amaranth before so I googled for a recipe and came up with stir-fried shrimp and amaranth:

image.jpg

Quite satisfactory. A bit like spinach without the astringency.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog